What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Texas talking to Big 10? & Tim Griffin leaving espn?

True, this is undoubtedly all conjecture. If anyone left the ACC I would think it would be 1 or more of the 3 outlying schools - Miami, FSU, or BC. I also think Clemson would jump to the SEC if the opportunity presented itself. Based on what you're saying about the Big 10 wanting cable/satellite customers looking for Big 10 games, they may very well end up looking to Florida or somewhere in the South since quite a few Big 10 fans move down that way. If you look at the ABC regional maps each week, a good portion of Florida gets a Big 10 game when it goes up against an ACC game even though there's 2 Florida schools in the ACC.

Why do you say that the Syracuse/Rutgers pair wouldn't bring the entire state of NY? Syracuse would bring in all of the upstate and western NY TV sets and maybe even NYC, but bringing Rutgers along would guarantee that NYC would be a Big 10 market. And when I say they bring in those TV sets, what I mean is they get fed a Big 10 game when it comes to regional telecasts. Now that's not to say the state of NY and NYC is a mecca for college football viewership, which I'm guessing may be what you meant. NYC is definitely pro-sports dominated, no doubt about that.

I have read pretty much what you state about the lack of interest in college football in NYC. Syracuse football isn't exactly a big draw in markets outside of Syracuse, but their hoops does pretty good in NYC. Rutgers might bring more of a "Jersey" market but not much NYC rep there. I get what your saying about having a presence, but I would think the Big Ten could negotiate a presence without those teams just as easy with their large numbers of alumni in NYC already. The regional telecast only applies to the ABC/ESPN portion of the TV contracts, which the Big Ten already gets solid national play on. All other games go to the Big Ten Network, and therefore the regional broadcast isn't such an issue as they control the content distribution.

Pitt football + Syracuse hoops + Rutgers market is the best option, but none of them are slam-dunks by themselves.

according to my step-Dad (OU donor, lives in Norman) OU was in the SWC for 5 years from 1915-1919. not sure that's a charter school qualification. the Oklahoma schools will get what they deserve by sucking up to Texas but not sure that's accurate.

The charter members of the conference were Texas A&M University, the University of Texas at Austin, Baylor University, the University of Arkansas, the University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma A&M University (now Oklahoma State University), Southwestern University (in Georgetown, Texas), and Rice University.

9c2cb1dd21f8070034667f7d920aa533.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Conference

Maybe Texas isn't a serious contender of Big Ten expansion?

Big Ten hires firm to research potential expansion candidates

Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez said Friday that Big Ten officials have hired a firm to research potential candidates as the conference considers expansion and that 15 programs were included in an initial report.
"They basically broke down what they would bring to the table," Alvarez said at a meeting of the UW athletic board. "They talked about academics. They talked about size. They talked about size of their arenas. They talked about attendance. They talked about the populace in that specific area."
According to Alvarez that process will continue, and Big Ten Commissioner James E. Delany could make a recommendation to the university presidents this summer.
"I think it could be one (school), or I think it could be multiple," Alvarez said.
Alvarez declined to identify schools on the list of 15 candidates but acknowledged he did not see Texas on the list.
It was reported recently that the Big Ten and Texas had begun preliminary discussions about the Longhorns leaving the Big 12 for the Big Ten.
"In our initial study, there wasn't anything on Texas," Alvarez said.

So what 15 schools make up that list?

Expounding on the Illinois' AD previous statement on expansion priorities:
#1) Value Added - TV revenue, football/basketball/non-rev sports profile
#2) Academic fit
#3) Geographic fit - contiguous state to the current league footprint (isn't a must)

Notre Dame. obviously any consultant is going to include the Irish, despite the lack of reciprocal interest.
Nebraska. AAU member, high profile football team, national following, small Omaha and state-wide TV market, but large traveling fanbase. borders existing conference footprint
Iowa State. AAU member, mediocre revenue sports, small TV market value added. within existing conference footprint
Missouri. AAU member, solid overall revenue sports team, state-wide + 2 large TV markets nearby in StL and KC. borders existing conference footprint and has rival in Illinois.
Kansas. AAU member, great basketball and solid overall sports team, state-wide TV market with an average market in KC. is 1 state away from existing conference footprint.
Colorado. AAU member, good football tradition, large Denver TV market, 2 states away from existing conference footprint.
Vanderbilt. AAU member, good basketball and mediocre overall sports team. large Nashville TV market. is 1 state away from existing conference footprint.
Pittsburgh. AAU member, very good overall sports teams, mediocre value added in TV as Penn State overlaps, is within existing conference footprint.
Buffalo. AAU member, poor sports programs, small Buffalo market and possibly larger Toronto market, borders existing conference footprint.
Syracuse. AAU member, great basketball and mediocre other sports. small Syracuse market but some impact in NYC. borders existing conference footprint.
Rutgers. AAU member. mediocre football, poor other sports. State-wide New Jersey market, some impact in NYC. borders existing conference footprint, good recruiting.
Maryland. AAU member. very good basketball, above average other sports. large Baltimore market + some of the large D.C. market. borders existing conference footprint.
Virginia. AAU member. very good overall sports teams. small Richmond market + some of the large D.C. market. 1 state away from existing conference footprint.
North Carolina. AAU member. great basketball, very good overall sports teams. large Raleigh market + impact on Charlotte & Winston-Salem. 2 states away from conf. footprint.
Duke. AAU member. great basketball, very good overall sports teams. large Raleigh market + national following in basketball. 2 states away from existing conference footprint.

Obviously, this isn't a ranking, but it seems to me that this would be the initial candidate list that a consulting firm would provide based on the initial criteria given.

Texas to the BigTen doesn't seem like it has any legs beyond the Longhorns flexing their own muscles to the rest of the Big 12 or as bargaining position with the Pac-10.

To me, the most likely outcome of any expansion dominos is that CU will get an invite to the Pac Ten with either Texas or Utah being the "other" team invited.

If the status quo remains, then a Big 12 coop TV deal for the cable package with the Pac-10 (replacing the FSN deal) is the most beneficial move that we can see being made. This deal would most likely be negotiated to terminate alongside the existing ABC/ESPN package for the Big 12, so that the full rights can be negotiated at the same time in 2015-16. That time frame would also be the end of the next "additional term" in the Big 12 bylaws and allow CU time to give "proper notice" if a move to the Pac-10 was still viable at that time.

If UT and A&M both leave to the Pac Ten, then we are basically back to the Big (+2 TX schools) with everyone getting a 2-year bump in revenues due to the combined UT/A&M penalty being distributed among the remaining members. The TV contract might have to get renegotiated after that, and inviting BYU and 1 other school (maybe New Mexico) at that time could help offset a portion of the losses from UT/A&M.

I think CU needs to make a concentrated effort to bolster our "resume" in order to get a Pac-10 invite, as I think the long-term revenues will be much greater in the Pac-10 than in the Big 12 regardless of what UT/A&M do. The biggest factor in doing anything is to have the AD reach out to the West Coast alumni and bolster our finances. Season ticket sales and AD donations are crucial in order to finish the current facility construction and other projects.

Interesting list for Big 10 expansion but I'm sure you can scratch Buffalo, Vandy, and probably ISU from the list. I would think the favorites have to be Missouri and Pitt.

My bro-in-law, a big time Buckeye, stated the OSU boards he frequents want Texas & only Texas for the Big 10 expansion. I stated, "I don't think they'll leave without A&M" and his response was, "They'll leave behind their mothers if the Big 10 comes calling".

Gawd, I hate Ohio State/Big 10(11) arrogance.

My bro-in-law, a big time Buckeye, stated the OSU boards he frequents want Texas & only Texas for the Big 10 expansion. I stated, "I don't think they'll leave without A&M" and his response was, "They'll leave behind their mothers if the Big 10 comes calling".

Gawd, I hate Ohio State/Big 10(11) arrogance.

Arrogant Big 10ers don't know about Texas arrogance, do they? UT will get what it wants, whether it be a stay in the Big 12 or move elsewhere. And, if they want A&M to go, A&M will go along with them.

Just remind your bro-in-law that the only thing worse than Big 10 football is Big 10 basketball.

Back