What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

That's the George King we love!

GMFK! Has the rest of the team on his coattails. Offense, defense and rebounding. Leadership n^2.

Every single player taking huge strides forward. DeLeon becoming an elite defender.

Not a single player has matched Tyler Bey's leaping abilty or athleticism in these last 4 games against the cream of the PAC12. He truly stands out.

This season is weird to me. Stay glued. We may see something really cool and unexpected.

Last edited:
Cannot overstate the importance of this happening on the road against a talented team.

CU has beaten some very good teams at the Can, even won some big games under Tad at neutral sites in tourneys. This one was going into their house in LA against a team with solid players and winning.

And while they had to play till the end it was not a fluky win on a last second 3 or having to hope that the opponent missed a shot or some free throws, this was a solid road win without excuses.

Whole team stepped up but George made it happen.

Loved the blocked shot by King George near the end of the game! No honest player wouldn't admit that getting a shot blacked in that fashion is deflating.

Loved the blocked shot by King George near the end of the game! No honest player wouldn't admit that getting a shot blacked in that fashion is deflating.
Speaking of King... can someone explain that goal tending the refs called?

The ball was off the cylinder, he tipped the ball unable to control the rebound, and touched the rim on the follow through. I've never heard of that being called goal tending. Is that some obscure rule where even if the defender is the person who tips a ball off the backboard he can't touch the rim while it's careening off?

The ball was off the cylinder, he tipped the ball unable to control the rebound, and touched the rim on the follow through. I've never heard of that being called goal tending. Is that some obscure rule where even if the defender is the person who tips a ball off the backboard he can't touch the rim while it's careening off?
Not to my knowledge, I think they just ****ed it up. Could be wrong I guess.

PAC12 Officiating???

I was terrified that when he went through that rough stretch (Iowa & the Oregons) that he was going to just give in for the year mentally. Instead, he dug in on D and focused on that. And his offense followed along. It's been a thing of beauty the last few games. I've been one of the most critical people of his pro prospects, but he keeps this up and he's gonna get a look from the NBA.

I didn't see the play, but if the ball was still in the cylinder when he touched it, then that would be basket interference/goal-tending. Doesn't sound like that was the case.

I didn't see the play, but if the ball was still in the cylinder when he touched it, then that would be basket interference/goal-tending. Doesn't sound like that was the case.
No. Shot was missed and past the front of the rim. He went for the rebound in traffic, the ball careened off the backbourd after he hit it, and on the follow through of his arm sweep he grabbed the rim a bit. The refs awarded UCLA 2 points.

Was it on the way down in the arc? I think if it is they are supposed to call it tending. I know the shot you are referring to but could not tell on TV.

Was it on the way down in the arc? I think if it is they are supposed to call it tending.
It was off to the side, but still within basket range. I'm open to the possibility that technically it's a goal tend and the right call, but it's weird and I've never seen it before.

It was off to the side, but still within basket range. I'm open to the possibility that technically it's a goal tend and the right call, but it's weird and I've never seen it before.

Agree. That was the only explanation I could come up with. The only reasonable explanation I could come up with was the shot arc had peaked and the ball was headed downward.

From the NCAA rulebook

Section 15. Basket Interference and Goaltending
Art. 1. It is a violation to commit basket interference or goaltending.
Art. 2. Basket interference
a. Basket interference occurs when a player:
1. Touches the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket;
2. Touches the ball while any part of it is within the cylinder that has the ring as its lower base;
3. Reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball before it enters the cylinder;
4. Pulls down a movable ring so that it contacts the ball before the ring returns to its original position, and
5. Causes the basket or backboard to vibrate when the ball is on or within the basket or the backboard and/or is on or in the cylinder.
b. The cylinder is the imaginary geometric figure that has the ring as its base and is formed by the upward extension of that ring.
c. The ball shall be considered to be within the basket when any part of the ball is below the cylinder and the level of the ring.
d. A player may have a hand legally in contact with the ball, when this contact continues after the ball enters the cylinder or when, during such action, the player touches or grabs the basket.

Art. 3. Goaltending.
a. Goaltending occurs when a defensive player touches the ball during a field-goal try and each of the following conditions is met: (Exceptions: Rule 10-4.1.h)
1. The ball is on its downward flight; and
2. The ball is above the level of the ring and has the possibility, while in flight, of entering the basket and is not touching the cylinder.
b. It is goaltending to touch the ball outside the cylinder during a free throw, regardless of whether the free throw is on its upward or downward flight.
c. When the ball contacts the backboard and any part of the ball is above the rim during a field goal attempt, it is considered to be on its downward flight. In such a case, it is goaltending when the ball is touched by a player as long as it has a possibility of entering the basket.

I think they were calling basket interference (EDIT under Art. 2 part 5), but failed to apply Article 2 part d.

Reading rulebooks can be a ****ing headache for odd situations like that.

I wish I had video to look at the call again, it seemed wrong at the time.

Last edited:

FWIW, Mark Johnson on the radio call was flabbergasted at that call. SWORE the ball was below the rim by the time GK touched the rim. He actually went on about it for a good little bit.

FWIW, Mark Johnson on the radio call was flabbergasted at that call. SWORE the ball was below the rim by the time GK touched the rim. He actually went on about it for a good little bit.

PAC12 refs, no more needs to be said about it.

Back