1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 2011 recruiting class

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Duff Man, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

People would be wise not to completely write it off, no matter when the change is made. A good coach can come in here and get top players to make visits in December and January. With a small class anyway, the depth will not be here, but I think it is a fallacy to automatically assume a new coach cannot nab some top players late in the cycle.

That said, it is essential that a new coach is in place by the start of December. Hopefully get some visitors before the dead period.

2. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

At least we got a small class this upcoming recruiting cycle.

3. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

This is just one of the many reasons why I support terminating Talkins sooner than later.

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Agreed.

In addition, I am hopeful that our new coach can pull in a number of spring transfers much like Snyder did his first year back at KSU. We need to fill in the holes from our '09 and '10 classes.

5. Duff Man

The difference in recruiting is negligible when we're talking about now or after the NU game. We just have to make sure we're not making a late December hire like we did with Hawkins.

The main reason you make a change now is to send a message and hopefully provide some sort of spark for the team/fanbase.

6. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

I actually have more faith in a new staff bringing in a decent class than Hawk and crew. The commitments we have now are pretty decent somehow, hopefully they'll stick around with a new staff. Kelley seems like he'll stick around as long as the new staff offers him a scholarship. Farrow sounded pretty firm in his decision, but who knows if the new staff will honor his commitment. The QBs will be interesting, if we get a Bellotti type coach, we need Berglund to stick around. If we bring in McElwain or someone like that, I'd think Sherry would be the priority.

I usually don't follow recruiting on a national scale, so would bringing in a new coach from another program, lets use McElwain as an example, do they normally bring any of their current commitments with them?

7. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

when is the dead period?

8. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

I think that message must be sent to kids who are thinking of joining the program. Right now recruits are getting hit from every angle that CU does not care about football.

I also agree that a late December hire would be tough on recruiting.

9. LongHaulBuff

LongHaulBuff Club Member Club Member

You're in it now.

10. Buffnik

I've got the recruiting calendar stickied in the recruitig forum. Suffice it to say that a new coach needs December or there is barely any contact time before NSD. And forget about JUCOs.

11. jpbuff

jpbuff Active Member

Do we oversign by a few because of players leaving because of coaching change? Always seems to be a few that leave after their coach get's the ax.

12. Buffnik

I would. Especially since we have some 4th year juniors who won't make the 2-deep as seniors. They may decide to graduate.

13. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

This is part of why Slick Rick screwed CU when he bolted to Udub.

14. 13Buff

13Buff Club Member Club Member

First off, its a slow day and I am bored so...

For recruiting purposes, IF Hawk is fired after the OU and Mac is going to be named the coach, can we name him coach, but give the day to day operations for the rest of the season to Cabral? That gives Cabral the resume experience, Gives Mac plenty of time to evaluate current Staff and players, put together his staff for next year and start recruiting current and new players.

If that happened the new staff is named 15 minutes after the Neb. game and is out recruiting before Nov. is over.

15. Duff Man

One thing we have going for us is not many official visits have been used to this point. The new coach should be able to bank some for next year along with using some this year. You can use up to 56 in one year. As important as snagging some quality players for 2011 is going to be, 2012 is going to be very important for the long-term success of this program.

16. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

Is this staff doing any recruiting? Not hearing much.

17. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

No they aren't recruiting much. And it makes me wonder why so many people are quick to compliment Buffnik for his work in the recruiting forum here. Not like much is going on. That dude rides easy.

18. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

EB took Maurice Jones Drew with him to UCLA

19. Duff Man

Jones Drew was never actually committed to us publicly, or at least that is my understanding. Poaching commits from your former school is considered very unethical and are generally considered off limits. Obviously uncommitted prospects are fair game though.

20. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Do you think there will be enough time to salvage this recruiting class with the new coach? It will be a small class but I would imagine some over-signing to take place?