What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The all-in-one Hawkins thread

Re: Hawk tells staff he's back next year

Maybe Hawk will be the new A.D.!

Bohn re-takes the now open A.D. job at San Diego State.

Kiesau takes the Portland State HC job.

Hawk and Mac conduct a search for a new coach, with Bob Simmons and Brian Cabral getting inside chances at the job.

Greg Brown is promoted to DC.

Jon Embree is hired as new OC.

Everything will be sunny again in Colorado.

Hawk can keep selling his development of a clean program without it taking away from the on-field performance of the football team.

CU saves $3 million+ by not buying out Hawk, and Bohn's contract runs through 2010 so wouldn't be a huge hit.

All is well in Buffalo country!

:rolleyes:

Re: My take on this roller coaster ride we are on...

There are many people that have to be on board with this decision including:

President of University - Check (probably)
Chancellor of Boulder Campus - Appears, as of today, to be on board.
Athletic Director - Check (probably)
Board of Regents - Signaled they were on board last week

I don't think they've made a final decision. That is the one thing no one seems to be considering.

President of University - Check (probably)
Chancellor of Boulder Campus - Appears, as of today, to be on board.
Athletic Director - Check (probably)
Board of Regents - Signaled they were on board last week

I also forgot to add....

Since there is not one person in charge of firing and hiring, this has to be a decision that goes through a process.

Firing someone should never be done in a half-hazzard manner. I have had to fire someone before and it is no fun. You need to do homework on firing someone. It is a long process and unfortunately, we will have to wait the time it takes to go through such procedures.

The sad thing is that since there is so many people involved in the process, you can't shut them up from the media. The media (not the picture media Miami) is creating this see-saw atmosphere....

I am sitting here in my office and I have a TV. We are getting NO national coverage and Notre Dame is getting alot. ESPN already has announced he is fired and my cousin Jack Swarbrick hasn't even told me yet :smile:

Re: Paging Pissbomber ..... What Are You Hearing ?

not sure you can though..... :confused:

:smile2:

i just did... if there is a time to call Junction an asswipe, Ill do it! Regardless if it makes any sense :smile:

Re: Breaking News In Boulder

That shows he can recruit. If he managed the program well, he may have been "this close". An offensive coord away perhaps. 4 years is not much to judge him on given his own guys were sophomores his last year when you figure his first class really doesn't count....

Bring the TCU guy here and if his O-coordinator stays behind to be the HC, we repeat history. Hire the DC from somewhere like OU and he hires an O-coordinator who ends up stinking, we go where?

Every pick will come with risks, so saying this guy can't coach because Maryland went 15-29 in his 4 years and they then won with this guys after he left doesn't hold water to me.

No one said he couldn't coach. Ron Vanderlinden is an amazingly good linebacker coach, an excellent defensive coordinator, and he's a heck of a recruiter. All I said was he wasn't a good HC at Maryland. He wasn't. He lost about 2/3 of his games. And you may be right that he would have turned it around if he had stayed, but I believe there's more evidence against him than for him (at that time and in that job). He could very well do a great job at CU.

No one said he couldn't coach. Ron Vanderlinden is an amazingly good linebacker coach, an excellent defensive coordinator, and he's a heck of a recruiter. All I said was he wasn't a good HC at Maryland. He wasn't. He lost about 2/3 of his games. And you may be right that he would have turned it around if he had stayed, but I believe there's more evidence against him than for him (at that time and in that job). He could very well do a great job at CU.

It was also his first head coaching job. How many jobs did Bill Belichek have before figuring out how to win consistantly? Vanderlinden has had a number of years realize what he did wrong at Maryland and probably knews what he'd do differently. Any interview with him would involve numerous and pointed questions about what he did wrong, what he would do differently and who he would hire to be OC and DC. The answers to those questions would spell out wether he would be hired or not.

We enter this time with no clear choices for whom the next head coach should be.

FootballCoachScoop: Hawkins coming back

this site is a riot.

http://www.footballcoachscoop.com/Scoop.html

Colorado:
FootballCoachScoop has BREAKING NEWS and the FIRST TO REPORT that Head Coach Dan Hawkins has been given one more year in a deal with
Athletic Director Mike Bohn and the University, according to our source. We have been told to expect some changes with the current staff though. Also, our
source confirmed that in talking with future head coaching prospects Athletic Director Mike Bohn could not get who he really wanted for the future.
FootballCoachScoop sources also tell us that DiStefano and Bohn will meet one more time, in regards to Coach Hawkins, after the Nebraska game to
confirm this is the absolute direction.

hey ****ers stop trying to up your post count

It was also his first head coaching job. How many jobs did Bill Belichek have before figuring out how to win consistantly? Vanderlinden has a number of years realize what he did wrong at Maryland. Any interview with him would involve numerous and pointed questions about what he did wrong, what he would do differently and who he would hire to be OC and DC. The answers to those questions would spell out the future.

Yep. I made a post a couple of days ago about how sad it is that coaches these days are under such pressure to perform. They can get one chance at a HC job and if they fail they're no longer considered a viable HC candidate. Looking back at history, I bet a lot of legendary coaches had a stop where they didn't quite get it done and got a second chance. Just using Hawk as an example, what if he never gets another chance at a HC job at a big time school? Pretty unfortunate I think. If he can go to some lower level school, build it up and dominate, he deserves another chance regardless of how poorly he did here.

kiss my ass:smile2:

wub.gif

Re: FootballCoachScoop: Hawkins coming back

They were the FIRST to watch the channel 4 news last night.

The funny thing is that this directly contradicts all their other 'FIRST TO REPORT, BREAKING NEWS'

They are the FIRST TO REPORT that they were THE FIRST TO REPORT that THEY FIRST REPORTED Hawk MAY or MAY NOT be returning next year.

Yep. I made a post a couple of days ago about how sad it is that coaches these days are under such pressure to perform. They can get one chance at a HC job and if they fail they're no longer considered a viable HC candidate. Looking back at history, I bet a lot of legendary coaches had a stop where they didn't quite get it done and got a second chance. Just using Hawk as an example, what if he never gets another chance at a HC job at a big time school? Pretty unfortunate I think. If he can go to some lower level school, build it up and dominate, he deserves another chance regardless of how poorly he did here.

Yet guys like Rick Neuheisel get three shots at it though this will likely be his last at a BCS program.

John Robinson's second time around at USC wasn't as good as his first. Pete Carroll on the other hand two NFL gigs before going to USC.

I don't know enough about Vanderlinden to say one way or the other.

Anyone who thinks this is not evolving situation is drunk.

Well it is very clear to all of us that a change must be made its not as cut and dry on the other side of it. Due diligence has to be done and the political forces behind the scenes have to come into alignment. I think Bohn might have reached his decision sooner but others above him needed more time.

Bohn was out of town when DiStefano had his little meeting with Hawkins on Monday. Someone leaked this information and now you see DiStefano back peddling from Hawkins statements.

:lol: Are you having fun yet, Bohn?

Seriously. Don't think there have been this many head-fakes since the month before the Allies landed on the beach Normandy.

Ask Mick Ronson, DBT. He's one of those academics.

it's my opinion that the antagonism between the AD and "academics" is overstated on message boards. it's true, personally, i think the integrity of the university (as 2 time degree earner) and employee is more important than W's in football. i don't see it as either/or as well. i also have thousands of posts here *and* i post in the hoops forum! and i grew up with CU winning and i want it again. i don't think win at all costs is where i or almost everyone wants to be.

corollary to this: i don't think the attitude among academics at CU is more hostile than at any other place as is often suggested....or nearly as exceptionally hostile as many posters here think. there are faculty at UT or Michigan or Oklahoma State who hate the sports phenomenon. it's not like they all go to the games and dole out grades to athletes. i do know of people who claim to have been leaned on to change grades at CU....particularly grad students teaching. true or not, dunno. i'm sure it happens here and other places.

but, i think practical reality of the football program is not something that really concerns 75% of the faculty/admins i know. the other 25% is probably an equal split between militant haters and those that take at least casual pride in the success of the team.

most of the faculty simply don't care. ambivalent, at best. couldn't name who we are playing nearly every week or whether CU wins or loses on Sunday. i think that's changing to a degree with younger faculty like myself who have grown up in a media environment where the distinctions between academic work (books, journals) and football (TV) are all united in a single media delivery system (internet use)...as a part of our education, training, and leisure or professional lives. so, for sports fans...that's a plus.

the idea that the football team's success funds the library and departmental budgets is something i would need to see on an official spreadsheet, because i don't see that at all. that seems like a "wish it were so" type of argument. now, good PR for the university is certainly to be had with national success. and your average academic ego likes to experience the feel of prestige more than "scandal" when traveling to conferences or whatever. i think that national press bruised some egos out on the circuit.

now, to make this decision...there may be some consideration of a rep from the Faculty Assembly, but that body has very little true power on campus. it's admins who are economists, big donor alums and PR peeps that have all the juice. Hawk's team GPA is more a boon to the PR people than anything the faculty are thinking about on a daily basis. i don't think 2.6 is anything to warrant multiple newspaper articles. it's pretty easy to make B's at CU these days. you kind of have to work at making a C or less.

and my experience with CU athletes in the classroom has been about 20% very good, 60% no diff than other students (mixed bag), and 20% very negative. whether it's a ridiculous and aloof or completely disrespectful of the classroom and people in it attitude or academic dishonesty (i've filed honor code paperwork 3 times and could have a 4th, 2 times were scholarship athletes--and one of those times included 3 members of the same team). in each athletic case, no action was taken which appeared to be a double-standard, at least potentially to me. there are a lot of bad experiences with non-athlete students, too. i take that in stride.

whether Hawk has eased that alleged rift, i really don't know. that sounds like something that takes place at an admin level in Regents....not something that happens "on the ground" in the classroom imo. i hope what Hawk says about academic support improving is true....but, sometimes "academic support" can be a little over-earnest to produce results. jus sayin'.

Last edited:

Ron Vanderlinden's bio:

1978 Bowling Green (GA)
1979-1980 Michigan (GA)
1981-1982 Ball State (OL)
1983–1991 Colorado (DA)
1992–1996 Northwestern (DC)
1997–2000 Maryland (HC)
2001–present Penn State (LB)

He was on the defensive staff (d-line and recruiting coordinator) under Coach Mac through the national championship season. Then at Northwestern, he was GB's Defensive Coordinator as they got that program turned around (2 Big 10 Championships). When GB came to CU, Vanderlinden went to Maryland as their Head Coach.

16-29 over 4 years, but did set the table for Ralph Friedgen who went 10-2 (ACC Champ, BCS Bowl), 11-3, 10-3 his 1st 3 years. Finished each season ranked in the Top 20 and hasn't been there since. In fact, Friedgen's record is 35-37 since his 4th year with primarily his own guys.

As the Penn State linebacker coach the past 9 seasons, he has developed 2 Bednarik Award winners (Paul Posluszny and Dan Conner) and Puz also won a Butkus award.

Last edited:

Anyone who thinks this is not evolving situation is drunk.

Well it is very clear to all of us that a change must be made its not as cut and dry on the other side of it. Due diligence has to be done and the political forces behind the scenes have to come into alignment. I think Bohn might have reached his decision sooner but others above him needed more time.

Bohn was out of town when DiStefano had his little meeting with Hawkins on Monday. Someone leaked this information and now you see DiStefano back peddling from Hawkins statements.

Yup. Starting to look like DS stepped on Bohn's dick.

Wild-ass guess? Hawkins did not like the vibes he was getting from Bohn, and was picking up on the smoke signals coming through the media. Squawk runs to DS like a little biatch while the AD is out of town. Bohn finds out about it after the Channel 4 leak. Hopefully this pisses Bohn off to the point where he's not going to take 'no' for an answer when it comes to replacing Hawkins.

D-R-A-M-A

the idea that the football team's success funds the library and departmental budgets is something i would need to see on an official spreadsheet, because i don't see that at all. that seems like a "wish it were so" type of argument. now, good PR for the university is certainly to be had with national success. and your average academic ego likes to experience the feel of prestige more than "scandal" when traveling to conferences or whatever. i think that national press bruised some egos out on the circuit.

I don't think you will get that at CU. At least not in the near future. But football does have an indirect consequence...

What CU Football does do is they play in an Orange Bowl game in Miami or appear on TV and that gets a young man in Miami to sign up when the Admissions person from CU visits his high school. The rest is history. Said young man pays out state tuition for a time. Does that put books in your library? You bet it does.

Re: Hawk tells staff he's back next year

"Embattled CU football coach Dan Hawkins is telling his assistants that he'll be back for another year.

Two sources inside the CU football progam told CBS4's Vic Lombardi that Hawkins recently met with Unversity Chancellor Phil DiStefano and came away from the meeting with the understanding that he's safe for another year no matter what happens on Friday against Nebraska."

http://cbs4denver.com/sports/CU.Hawkins.Buffs.2.1333000.html

Anybody think this might actually hurt Hawkins if he still actually has a shot? If I'm Bohn, and I get the report that Hawk is basically trying to leverage his meeting with Distefano into assurance he will be back next year with the media while no such thing is true, I would be royally pissed.

Back