1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Embree/EB Bandwagon

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Nor Cal Buff, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Nor Cal Buff

Nor Cal Buff Well-Known Member

I am fully on it.

Pros:

1. They are great recruiters. You think Hawk brought in good classes? These guys will make Hawk classes look like they belong at Western Michigan.

2. They respect and understand the tradition of CU.

3. They understand the challenges of coaching at CU coming in.

4. They are cheap. It will be much cheaper to hire Embree and the assistants he brings in than to pay the big bucks to attract a proven commodity or an up and comer with a buyout.

5. Embree is available immediately (EB isn't obviously). Let Hawk coach the season out with the understanding that Embree is CU's next HC. He can fully focus on recruiting and we will have less attrition due to players knowing they don't have to deal with Hawk's BS any longer.

6. They bring fire and passion unlike the Zen BS from Hawk. EB is exactly the type of coach DS needed. Who knows, he might even be able to change DS's mind about transferring.

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Count me in.

buffsfan01 likes this.
  3. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter. Mike Bohn isn't on it.

4. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i'd like a disciplinarian Tom Coughlan type. care less about a nostalgia hire.

teach this team some blocking and tackling, a legit offense, and less rah rah Zen....and this is a 7 win team.

5. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Screw Mike Bohn.. We already went his home run way.. Look where we are?

On board with EB and Embree..

6. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Last time I checked, the athletic director makes the hiring.

Rumor has it that Embree isn't even on his list. And why should he be?

7. JimmyBuff

Who's on the list then?

8. Mick Ronson

Embree isn't on anyone's list. we need to move on as a fanbase. Coach Mac or any of his guys aren't coming back. same with EB.

9. JimmyBuff

The ex-players aren't going to be happy about that..

10. Mick Ronson

when was the last time you heard Jon Embree's name in a major coaching search?

never. is the answer. this whole "back to Mac" thing is weak. we need a football coach, not nostalgia.

fatbuff likes this.
  11. CUwhit21

CUwhit21 Club Member Club Member

Embree/EB - A grand total of 0 head coaching or coordinator experience.. at any level. Kiesau is seen as a bright coaching mind and a great recruiter and even he has had a learning curve this year as the OC.

And while I realize AZ says hiring Embree will mean EB comes to, what happens if we hire Embree and EB says no?

And why is it cheaper to hire Embree and the assistants he plans to bring? Who are those assistants?

My point with these questions is I think you're assuming too much.

12. JimmyBuff

what about David Gibbs?

He's got a great resume..

13. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

Dan Hawkins :cry:

14. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

When was the last time you heard Embree's name on ANY list?!? Hell he isn't even coaching right now!!

The ONLY people who have any interest in Jon Embree are a few loyal followers on one particular guy's website.

Mick Ronson likes this.
  15. bigdaddybuffs

bigdaddybuffs Club Member Club Member

He is coaching right now, he has been the TE coach for the chiefs for the last 3 years, prior he was the associate head coach at ucla. For all of the the things Dan isn't EB and Embree are. How about restoring some pride and passion for the school. It appears to me that coaches coming from the pros are much more organized and prepared, and above all, both are great recruiters. I hear all of the complaining about the lack of talent only recruiting will fix that.

16. BuffaloChuck

BuffaloChuck Member

Is there any fear that EB could fail here, and thus ruin his historic place at CU? This is my biggest concern.

17. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

That is incorrect. Embree WAS an assistant coach with the Chiefs. He is not this year. (Chiefs' Tight End Coach is Bob Bicknell)

Embree is not coaching anywhere this year.

18. fatbuff

fatbuff Well-Known Member

This thread is like a South Park episode. Buffalo Chuck= Randy.

19. ThndringHerd

ThndringHerd Well-Known Member

:yeahthat:

Both great Buffs, but neither one is qualified to be HC at this point. This is the kind of thing that sounds great in a moment of desperation (like 33-3). Then I calm down and realize there are way better options.

20. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

That's simply not true. He's the guy most of the ex-players and ex-coaches are behind.

Besides, he was the only other person interviewed for the job last time and since then he's added NFL experience. With the Chiefs, all he accomplished was coaching Tony Gonzalez to the best 3-year stretch of his career despite them having awful QBs and TG now being in his 30s.

Jon Embree was also the driving force for getting the Buffs4Life charity established and rallying tons of ex-players and coaches to give their time and money. Simply stated, he's the accepted leader of all the guys that are no longer in the program.

Given that, it would be strange if we weren't talking about Embree as a bona fide candidate.

21. ThndringHerd

ThndringHerd Well-Known Member

Thought I heard something about him working for Weaz out at UCLA as an unpaid assistant. Not sure tho.

22. fatbuff

fatbuff Well-Known Member

You really need to back that up. You sound like Al Gwhore and AGW.

23. CUwhit21

CUwhit21 Club Member Club Member

I didn't realize we were hiring 2 head coaches.

24. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

I would have no problem with Embree being hired. But it simply isn't going to happen.

I have said all along that he would be an economical choice. If Embree could be hired for $500,000 I would hire him tomorrow.

25. CaliBuff901

CaliBuff901 Active Member

Surely Embree couldn't do worse than DH, right? I mean, at least he would be able to speak like a football coach and he would probably put the best players on the field.

26. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

That's your biggest concern??

10 wins in the next 4 years is my biggest concern.

27. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

BS, the ex-players would love Hawkins if we were kicking ass and taking names, and they'll be on board with the next guy that does that.

28. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

I think ex players would be on board with ANYONE who came in and embraced the CU past, encouraged CU players to return, etc.

This whole situation at CU is eerily similar to me.

In 1996, in large part due to the demands of former players and rabid fans, OU's then athletic director (Steve Owens) hired a guy who had no coordinator experience, no head coaching experience, and was most recently a position coach in the NFL --- John Blake (who was a former OU football player). The next three years were comical, to say the least.

When John Blake was fired at the conclusion of the 1998 season, there were a lot of pissed off players, a lot of pissed off former players, and a lot of pissed off fans (they thought Blake was showing progress, and should have been given another couple years).

Enter Bob Stoops, a man with ZERO ties to the football program. During his press conference, he spent the entire presser talking about Barry Switzer and Bud Wilkinson and how when he grew up he always admired OU and he was very honored to be hired to continue their great tradition. He embraced all the former players and former coaches.

And it helped that he won a national championship in just his 2nd year.

29. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

I am ok for a repeat of that. Although I am not sure Stoops would come to CU, on the other hand, he would likely be undefeated every year going into the B12 CCG.

30. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

I can tell you that some portion (I can't say all since I am not in this group) of the big money donors are pushing him. I personally saw a write-up of his qualifications that is being socialized among them all before the Kansas game.

I am not convinced about Embree, but it was an impressive write-up - there was a lot that I was not aware of about his experience. I could only be convinced if he took a very low salary and hired some big money coordiantors (one of which shoulod NOT be EB IMHO - but I would love to have him on the staff).

I do know he is a very good recruiter - and is credited with landing kids like Daniel Graham and Maurice Jones-Drew (among many other notables for CU).

BOTTOM LINE - REGARDLESS OF WHO THE NEXT COACH IS, I WANT ONE THAT BRINGS SOME FIRE TO THIS TEAM. WHAT I SEE NOW MAKES ME WANT TO PUKE!