1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Kiesau Effect

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Sexton Hardcastle, May 9, 2009.

1. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

I remember when a guy at last years spring practices laughed when I suggested coach Kiesau was one of the top recruiters on the staff. He looked at me like I was crazy!:lol: But now we know that the statement is a fact. He played a huge part in getting Darrell Scott in Boulder, and overall he has played the recruiting game well. Both here in Boulder, and at Cal.

So here's my question. How big of an impact will he now have as our OC recruiting wise? Will things remain about the same? Or are you expecting a big jump in recruiting? I know he is young, and will have to prove himself as a playcaller. But I really expect him to provide a boost in recruiting. Thoughts?

2. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Absolutely. I expect Cabral, Hagan, and Kiesau to land us some big fish in SoCal this year (both LA and San Diego). Interviews with kids always mention those three as guys that really connect with kids. The fact someone like Bryce McNeal was even halfway interested in us tells you how good Kiesau really is for this staff.

I think this class has the chance to be something very special.

3. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Kiseau as OC will definitely help us land some top prospects. He can say, without doubt, the role that someone will play in the offense. He words always carried weight, but now there is more authority. I expect we land 2-3 people that NO ONE foresees us landing.

This is contingent on at least 8 wins though.

4. Skidmark

Skidmark Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

One aspect of Helfrich's job that was done well involved the perception of a fair QB competition that involved the coach's son. Dan Hawkins always stated that the QB decission was that of Helfrich, based on who plays the best. By and large, the competition for QB appeared fair, with the best talent on the field.

I hope that Kiesau is able to keep 'nepotism' from be an issue, and be able to recuit into the offense at all positions right away.

5. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Not really sure. IMO recruits don't care as much what position their recruiter coaches (unless it's the HC). So I don't think the fact that he is now a OC will help him as a recruiter.

6. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

it will help when he leads the buffs to a top 20 rushing attack this season :smile2:.

7. Buffalo118

Buffalo118 New Member

When Kiesau's offense picks up the pace and the buffs start winning, then I would expect to get some nice recruits in.

(the snowball effect) :cool:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  8. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

I agree with this. I don't follow recruiting the way many here do but it seems that Kiesau has done very well. Now that he is the OC, however, he's going to have to prove it on the field. If the offense sputters this year, then I think it's going to be increasingly hard for him to recruit.

9. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Aren't there only 12-14 schollies available?

10. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King Club Member

no i think we have 20 now with katoa smith and wallace plus the undersigns

11. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

We'll sign 20-22.

12. BuffsRising

BuffsRising Well-Known Member

I think we have 20 scholarships for next year, unless we get whacked for our APR, and assuming we don't penalize ourselves this year to avoid that.

13. The Monk

The Monk Club Member Club Member

I think the reality was that QB competition was fair, but perception for those outside of the Colorado fan base and particular for recruits, was that there was a decent amount of doubt that it wasn't fair.

There's going to be a benefit with Kiesau's recruiting that now that he has control who will be the QB, he be able to make that final push on all the top WR recruits that wasn't happening the last few cycles. Which then in return betters QB recruiting in a virtuous circle. The only problem I see is that if he concentrates on two positions the amount of targets he can affect will diminish.