1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The next coach needs to steal an idea from Jim McElwain

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Duff Man, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

He or his assistants should visit every high school in the state by the end of his first year on the job.

2. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

NO question.

After Hawk's ineptitude and then Embree's ego our instate recruiting is a complete wreck.

3. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Stitt Stitt Stitt!

4. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

Agree and if the next HC were to hire a guy like Stitt (as OC), that would seem to go a long way towards helping our in-state ties as well.

5. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

You mean claim that every single CSU commit has a CU offer?

6. Duff Man

I do not really care about that stuff. I do care about CU actually putting some effort into in-state recruiting for a change. Regardless of how you feel about the in-state prospects McElwain has landed, he has put forth more effort in one year than the previous two staffs at CU put in over seven years combined.

7. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

That's a lot of high schools. Hundreds.

8. Ozbuff

Ozbuff Member

Was Embree's failure to land most of the top CO prospects due to lack of effort? I thought his staff met with a lot of coaches and attempted to build relationships, but it wasn't paying off. I think Embree's problem was losing games, not lack of interest in CO players.

Anyway, I agree that relationships with CO high schools are important. Not sure that it's a wise use of resources to visit every single one. A lot of them won't put out Division 1 prospects more than once or twice in a generation.

9. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

I think I remember Hawk and staff doing some sort of high school tour after they were hired.

10. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

The rumors that i've heard from Allbuffs members are that Embree and his staff were very disinterested in recruiting Colorado, and they felt it wasn't really worth their time

11. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

An RV Tour if I remember right. But I think it was a year or two after he was hired.

12. Ozbuff

Ozbuff Member

Really? Wow. I find that shocking considering that Embree is a local. I also remember him expressing disappointment at not getting the CO linemen from last year's class as well as Willingham from the class before that. I'm not sure how interested he was in Cyler Miles. Anyway, I hope the new staff can lock up the top CO talent although I suspect they'll have to show improvement on the field first, sadly.

13. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

That doesn't surprise me. He came in and said he was going to recruit Texas and California. But to ignore your own state when you are the coach of the flagship college football program seems kinda dumb.

14. The Ogre

The Ogre Club Member Club Member

Don't believe half of what you read on that site, they're a bunch of head cases.

15. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

+1

16. The Ogre

The Ogre Club Member Club Member

While it'd be flattering and a good PR move, all of them? I'm not sure my high school of Merino has produced any DI football talent since Dean Keoster in the 70's.

17. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

If there is one in-state recruit Embree should have been able to knock out of the park, it was Mitch Parsons. Hell, he IS Jon Embree when he was being recruited. TE, interest well beyond Colorado, program in the dumps. And he wanted to come to CU right off the bat. And yet, look what happened....

18. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

yeah, i dont think csu or cu would visit them all. Our admissions counselors at cu dont visit them all.

19. Duff Man

Make it two years, just do it. Sick of CU coaches arrogance toward in-state high schools.

20. o_robbie

o_robbie I don't think before I post

If whoever the next coach is can land 4 of the top 5 kids from CO year in and year out you will see the depth at CU improve dramatically. The state of Colorado has put out some really good lineman prospects the last 3 years and CU has whiffed on almost all of them. Can you imagine what our OL depth would look like if we had landed 80 percent of them.

I still like the depth we brought in on the OL this year but I'm not sure all of those guys will be sticking with us when we move to the spread.

21. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

Each class really should have a few colorado kids in it. Imo.

22. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I agree. And I also think the walk-on program should be mostly in-state kids. That was something I give Hawkins for - he built a quality WO program here. There's enough talent in CO to make that a strength and allow you to uncover the Jeff Smarts of the world every now and then.

23. sliderNcider

It sounds like you're going to get your wish. MacIntyre even knew the exact # of high schools in CA

24. sliderNcider

One other thing when he brought up the 2 players on the SJSU roster that are from Texas as evidence he recruits Texas, I had to lol

25. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

He claims to have done it with over 1,000 in CA so altitude aside this should be a cake walk.

26. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

After hearing the press conference I guess he is going to meet them all through camps and stuff. That makes more sense than going to every school.

27. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Some coaches I know at Roosevelt say there hasn't been any CSU coaches coming by within the last year. Not that I disagree with what you say CU coaches should do.

28. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Bob Stitt could do that in his volvo by the end of next week.