What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The officiating at the end of this game is why basketball can suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crimes caught on survelence cameras can not be used in court because there may be a cellphone video out there with a more credible angle.

-JCatano

Imagery sent back to earth from the Voyager 1 space probe don't really show rings around Saturn because there are blurred pixals.

- JCatano

Last edited by a moderator:
If @Brenkoski tweets that he has a picture of a sasquatch, then I believe in bigfoot.

-JCatano

I am 70% sure that inconclusive doesn't mean what you think it means.
-JCatano

jc pizza'd when he should have french fry'd

26073915.jpg

Nothing wrong with having a little fun after the thread has been exhausted. Obviously, there are some angry beavers in here after seeing my notifications with the insults, but a few people can at least not be so serious.

Nothing wrong with having a little fun after the thread has been exhausted. Obviously, there are some angry beavers in here after seeing my notifications with the insults, but a few people can at least not be so serious.

Just don't lose to Utah today, ok?

I can deal with having 3 losses as long as they're on the road to teams with a combined record of 37-1.

Nothing cheap. The least you guys can do is keep our RPI & tourney resume up.

Damned PAC 12 network/DirecTV. I don't get to watch the ASU game. Crud.

You have as much of a chance getting video from the PAC 12 as I do, Rack. It's nice you guys are using that as a crutch, though.

"They didn't show me the video, so it must not exist!"

Even though I've showed you that they use their own cameras, system, and production.

You have also claimed that the officials would have relied on full motion video, rather than screen captures, and that the relevant shot of the ball on Chen's fingers would exist in the interval between frames showing the "blurry" shot of Chen at 0.1 where it appears the ball may be out, and the shot at 0.0 where the ball is clearly out. Given the fact that each frame represents 1/24 of one second, and that the interval between frames is a small enough fraction of the time represented by each frame as to make the video appear continuous, you seem to be saying that the officials were able to observe, in full motion, something that occurred in the interval between frames (1/100th of a second? 1/200th of a second?).

Nothing you say changes the fact that you have constructed this entire argument on the premise that the existence of any other footage we didn't see somehow = proof that the officials got it right. What was another camera going to show that TV didn't? A shot from the side, making it easy to see the ball leaving the hand? We got it. That same shot showing the official game clock? We got it. Higher defnition/faster frame rate? Possible, but unlikely. Frame intervals in the film synched differently from the action, so that the magic shot of Chen's fingers on the ball at 0.0 didn't get lost in the .005 second gap between frames? That seems to be the best hope for your scenario.

We already know from the breakdown of the TV footage that the ball was out, at latest, less than 1/24 of a second after the clock went to zero. Your belief in the ability of the officials to locate the exact moment within that 1/24th of a second where the ball was still on Chen's fingers, in a shot also showing the official game clock, and to definitively see all of this in one shot using full motion video (hell, or to stop full motion video at the exact point proving all this) is touching.

Just don't lose to Utah today, ok?

I can deal with having 3 losses as long as they're on the road to teams with a combined record of 37-1.

Nothing cheap. The least you guys can do is keep our RPI & tourney resume up.

I'm not sure if it's a typical fan perception, coaching issue, or what... But, Arizona seems to drop a few games they have no business losing. Doubt it's today, but you never know.

Anyway... This is for Junction:

The league then explained how replay works:

• A machine provided by XOS receives three different feeds in real time throughout the game.

Five camera angles come from the television provider - in Thursday's case, ESPNU.

Two more angles come from cameras XOS erected at McKale Center; each camera is located opposite the television cameras, behind the team benches, and shoots toward each basket.

McKale Center's scoreboard also sends a feed to the system.

"I know they used everything that was available," said Pac-12 spokesman David Hirsch, who detailed the system to the Star. "They look at all the video and find whatever's the best.

"They have the ability to stop it frame-by-frame and enlarge it."

• The instant replay technician can access the angles at the instruction of an official. Each school has two technicians, one primary and one back-up, who received preseason training on the system.

• The feeds are sent via a high-definition feed to the courtside computer monitor.

Until this season, teams around the league used either monitors or televisions and could only receive replays by asking television producers or the in-house producers for them.

"It all comes in, and it's being recorded," Hirsch said. "You can look at all the camera angles without asking the producer."

So...Two cameras from PAC 12, Junction. Not three.

Just out of curiosity, where did you find that? I tried googling information about the system and found nothing. Thanks for posting it. That's what I was looking for all along...

But according to that, their cameras are behind the benches, opposite the TV cameras, pointed at the basket. So one of their cameras would have been behind the bench at the opposite end. Useless in this situation. So we're really down to the idea that the camera directly opposite the ESPiN camera somehow caught something their camera didn't, or that the scoreboard camera caught the shot and the official clock at the critical moment (highly, highly unlikely). So basically, it all comes down to believing that there was something on one feed we didn't see, positioned directly opposite the one we did see, that proved the shot was no good.

Forgive me if I still think it is highly damned unlikely that they saw anything conclusive...

JCatano Rival Poster Evaluation:

Stubborn/Sanctimonious without resorting to profanity - 4 of 4 Ned Flanders on the Surveyor scale.

Humorous: 0 of 4 thermometers on the TuffTiger scale

Would invite out for a drink: 1 of 4 Moscow Mules on the Liverflukes scale

Self-depricating sense of humor: 1 of 4 smashed cameros on the Kameltosis scale

Skin To Win offerings: 0 of 4 Oregon cheerleaders on the CanadianDuck scale

Logic: 4 of 4 feasibility studies on the OMFGasm scale.

Part of the family: 0 of 4 Buffwoman on the DesertDawg scale.

Overall: 2 of 4 stoudts on the BamaCharlie scale.

Comments: Has potential, but lacks style points, tact, and situational awareness in the Allbuffs environment. Zona representation on this site has been thin. JCatano is the best candidate to rep UofA thus far in a very weak talent pool. Don't be discouraged, though. You are heads and shoulders above anyone from Utah, ASU, U$C or UCLA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Junction -

Cool. Colorado won. Let's alert the media. I think you missed the part where we have moved on to making ridiculous quotes about each other.

Skid -

SexualTyrannosaurus and you are definitely twins. Check out the ASU board. You can spell, though... He might be the slightly lesser half of the duo.

One man's view of rediculous and angry is another man's pretty good Saturday Afternoon.

- Skidmark

*clicks heels three times*

The shot was good. The shot was good. The shot was good. *90-54*

- Junction

Junction -

Check AzStarnet sports section. I didn't realize I didn't link it.

I know that we've moved on to mocking each other (well, we were always mocking you, but more openly now), but I still have a question for you on the previous topic:

Why do you want a picture of the ball out of Chen's hands at 00.1? That would in no way be damning since he's permitted to touch the ball before the official clock runs out.

I recognize your argument that the ball had to come out sometime between 00.1 and 00.0, and that frame is what would be conclusive for you. But an inability to comply with your request would still fail to prove anything.

We keep asking for a frame of 0.00 with the ball touching Chen's fingers, because by the measure of standard used, that's the only thing that would prove he did not get the ball out on time. It's the only thing that meets the standard. Your request does not.

Do you understand the difference?

Skid -

SexualTyrannosaurus and you are definitely twins. Check out the ASU board. You can spell, though... He might be the slightly lesser half of the duo.

Which ASU board does my twin libidonous extinct reptile frequent?

This weekend is better than most to browse some ASU fandumb.

Junction -

But... It wasn't according to the "pros". :p

Orr -

You basically answered your own question. Neither side can come up with conclusive evidence using the ESPN footage. You may think a blurry still shot is conclusive, and that's fine. I don't think it is. So, it's not hard to conclude that the footage we didn't see from the XCOM camera was the deciding factor. Do I know that for a fact? No. It could be, though. The unknown is the meat of the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back