1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Transfer Study: A look into commitment habits of 700 top players

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by cmgoods, Aug 1, 2013.

1. cmgoods

cmgoods Olympic Sports Mod Club Member

In this week's Sports Illustrated, I wrote a feature about the extreme basketball journey of two brothers from Durham, N.C.: Torian Graham, a top-100 recruit from the class of 2012 who went to five high schools, decommitted from the same college twice and is now at a juco in Florida; and Tyree, a class of 2008 recruit who fell off the map a bit while playing for four high schools, has since been at five colleges, and is looking for his sixth. I became fixated on the case of the brothers Graham while doing a study on the commitment and transfer habits of the past seven classes of top-100 recruits* -- every high school (or prep school) they attended, every college commitment and decommitment they made, and every college they attended.

While the Grahams' nomadism demanded an investigation, the study's big-picture data revealed plenty about transfer culture. These are the 10 things you need to know from si's tracking of the behavior of 700 elite players:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. HawaiiBUFF

HawaiiBUFF Well-Known Member

Great read. Do we have any players that fit the Red Flag criteria's on our roster?

3. cmgoods

cmgoods Olympic Sports Mod Club Member

To be clear, I wasn't the person who wrote the article. I can't get the quote bubble to work.

4. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

The mods get intensive training in hookers and blow but nothing on the basic site functions.

5. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

This article is basically Chris Thomas' life. The kid has been to 1/2 a dozen high schools (as well as reclassifying his HS gradation year), a JR College (that he was suspended from during the time they played in the National Championship game) committed and de-committed to a handful of colleges and still hasn't even set foot on a campus, so I'm sure there is more to come. Try to follow his allbuffs page and click on some of those articles linked in there, if you can follow his career you're a better man than I.

6. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

There's about 400 transfers in D1 in any given year lately, iirc.

Maybe these "star grooming basketball schools" are new in many areas of the country, but it's nothing new in my state. Oak Hill has been at it for years, and ones like Blue Ridge School
    and Miller School recruit heavily and send out stars. Andrew White is an incoming KU guy from Miller.

7. jcatcher

jcatcher Club Member Club Member

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Jeremy Adams went from LSU (?) to a JC to CU, but he graduated on time with a degree in psychology.

Speaking of Adams, it seems from his Twitter account that he is still in Boulder and getting ready for grad school. I've not heard that he arranged a transfer for his final year of eligibility - anyone know what he's up to?

8. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Adams began at aTm, btw.

But yes, we avoid the serious red flags. Transferring is nothing bad if you get to a place and see the writing on the wall that it's not a fit for you. What I do have a problem with is these coaches who straight up tell players that basically in no important terms, "we need to make room" and essentially force them out. There's a fine difference between a player recognizing he won't get PT, and a coach forcing a guy out. And people are naive if they think that doesn't occur.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  9. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Pretty sure he chose a school in Arizona, but I can't remember which one.

10. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

Grand Canyon University was the last I heard