1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The worst jobs in P5 college football (ESPN Insider)

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

[h=3]Tier 10: The worst[/h]Put bluntly, these are the worst jobs in major college football. But hey, they're still major college football jobs.
    65. Wake Forest
    64. Iowa State
    63. Kansas
    62. Washington State

[h=3]Tier 9: The next-worst[/h]Not mired in a pit of despair, but looking over the edge of the cliff. A number of "academic" institutions -- and the associated hurdles -- included here.
    61. Purdue
    59. (tie) Indiana
    59. (tie) Vanderbilt
    58. Duke
    57. Syracuse
    55. (tie) Boston College
    55. (tie) Colorado
    Of those in the bottom two or three tiers, Colorado has the best shot to rise. As opposed to a number of programs in this range, location -- the foothills of the Rockies and yet a half-hour from a major metro area -- is a signature attribute for the Buffs. And Boulder is a top-notch college town. It's the Athens, Georgia, of the West. There's a lot to sell, which is important because even with Denver nearby, the CU staff has to go outside the state for its best prospects. As for football: When Bill McCartney left in the mid-1990s, resources and support evolved into huge sticking points. There was just no money for football, or athletics. But that is beginning to shift. The administration, maligned by past CU coaches, has made serious headway with its renovations of Folsom Field and the team's practice facilities. Mike MacIntyre's 6-18 record in two seasons has been less than spectacular, but if he's given an opportunity to see the rebuild through, there are reasons for optimism.
    54. Northwestern

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...e-forest-demon-deacons-earn-worst-job-power-5

Definitely depressing. Definitely fair.

I find it hard to disagree with the analysis.

2. Val

Val Active Member

Seems about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. WasianCU

WasianCU Club Member Club Member

I think thats an accurate analysis. Nice to see someone outside of the program noticing the progress made despite the W/L record.

4. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Is Athens similar to Boulder? I have never heard that comparison made before.

5. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

in some ways. Todd Snider uses them interchangeably in Seattle Grunge Blues.

6. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Both are awesome college towns. Plus the elephant 6 connection.

7. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

8. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

I lived in both, back to back. No.

9. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

Pretty fair; I appreciate the acknowledgment that it can get better, and that it looks to be doing so.

10. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

The authors point to the long term of administrative support as a primary basis for the low ranking. Basically CU has a people problem where our own leadership self-imposed a death penalty.

Having the right leadership and resources in place matters.

11. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

They had an article today about Washington being the Pac-12 school with the most upside and it is crazy how similar the history of Washington is to Colorado, they are just about 5 years ahead in the rebuild.

12. DBT

I believe that to label the CU job as one of the worst in P5 is total and absolute BS. Yeah, it may be stressful and it may be difficult. But it is also an opportunity and the support mechanisms now in place (salaries, facilities, admissions, etc.) are excellent.

13. hokiehead

hokiehead Gobbler on the Mountain Club Member

can someone with an insider account list the criteria that were used in this list?

14. 89BUFF89

89BUFF89 Well-Known Member

This cannot be understated. Our school essentially killed its own football program. I am sure there are examples of teams winning despite lack of admin. support, but I would guess it is harder to do now more than ever with deeper and more competitive conferences, especially the PAC.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  15. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

I agree with this. I believe Rick George to be the right guy for AD and I think Benson is giving the support needed. I am just not sure the rest of the cast is where they need to be on supporting Athletics.

16. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

What part of the cast are you talking about? Regents seem on-board, Benson is on board, and the AD is on-board. Really only leaves the midget.

17. DBT

Too bad the students aren't on board. Nor alums, nor people in the Denver metro area.

18. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Give the fans a reason to be on-board. I have seen a uptick in football excitement from the students I know, so that's great.

19. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Where would you rank the CU job?

20. pcbuff

pcbuff Well-Known Member

21. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

I assume you're answering for yourself, not DBT, because you didn't say "#1".

22. Buffnik

There are a number of long-term people within the AD and other parts of school administration who are not so much public figures as they are influential and holders of positions of responsibility. I've never worked in a government or academic environment, but my understanding is that it's not all that easy to fire the folks who don't support your vision.

23. TSchekler

TSchekler Darth's Hero Club Member

So they gave CU all the reasons as to why they have the best chance of moving up, (location, campus, facilities, admin support, salary, etc.) but still have CU as a bottom 10 job. That would lead me to believe these rankings are almost entirely based on the recent trends of Wins and Losses. If that's the case, this is clearly the correct ranking, if not a little high.

I would like to think that part of the allure of the CU job is the past winning tradition, among all the other things, but that's just probably the biased fan in me.

24. Yellow Shirt

Yellow Shirt Club Member Club Member

25. Buffnik

My read is that what the other coaches who were polled were saying is that if CU stays the course they expect the job to rate much higher in the near future. Need facilities completed and the record to turn before it's not looked at as a really hard job.

26. DBT

I wouldn't. I think it's a stupid premise aimed at entertainment and stirring guys like me up, :lol:

Edit: I didn't realize this is a poll rather than one guy's opinion. In that sense, I view it as a misconception or lack of knowledge by many of those responding.

27. DBT

Great job. You made me reread my post to see if I really said that. :smile2:

28. DBT

I agree with this.

29. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Not really Club Member

I'm surprised Indiana is in that tier. Academically, they're good, but not more difficult to get kids in than most of the other B1G schools. Plus, they'll have new facilities (or at portions of) in all of their sports, including football, in the next few years thanks to numerous big time donors. Obviously the lack of a winning tradition in football in an old school football conference is keeping them low on the list.

30. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Not really Club Member

It seems like that's a huge part of their rankings; at least winning tradition seems to be highly weighted. Just look at the teams, and I was wondering the same thing when I made the post above this one.