1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This team's talent compared to previous years

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by jwhite17, Jan 10, 2014.

1. jwhite17

jwhite17 Member

Since we are halfway done with the season, I thought it would be interesting to compare the talent levels of this team to previous ones. I placed guys in a tradition lineup so it would be easier to compare.

How would you compare this year's talent to previous one's:

2013-2014
    PG: Dinwiddie > all previous ones, Higgins was the closest but not as consistent as Dinwiddie
    SG: Booker < Burks was way better at everything except defense but was unstoppable
    SF: Johnson > Relphorde wasn't nearly as physical, Brown had his moments of greatest in the tourneys but was inconsistent in conference ball
    PF: Gordon < Roberson was the best rebounder ever to wear a BUffs uni and the most versatile defender
    C: Scott > all previous ones and it isn't close

Bench: Thomas, Talton, Hopkins, Fletcher, King > than all previous ones even though we don't have a knockdown shooter like 2010-2011 or a sparkplug like Ski in 2011-2012. We don't need one guy to be the sixth man. Any of them can be that guy on a particular night. THis is Boyle's deepest group no doubt. The first and only time he doesn't have to rely on a true frosh to play extended minutes and contribute. That's my reasoning for the inconsistencies with this group. AMazing to think how much we won with the terrible benches the last two years.

Boyle has completely transformed the roster that none of the guys from previous years would even start on this team besides Burks and Roberson. Think about that. Terrific roster transformation, recruiting, and player development.

2012-2013
    PG: Dinwiddie
    SG: Booker
    SF: XJ
    PF: Roberson
    C: Scott
    Bench: Tunks,Adams, Chen, Talton, Stalzer

2011-2012
    PG: Tomlinson
    SG: Dinwiddie
    SF: Brown
    PF: Roberson
    C: Dufault
    Bench: Booker, Tunks, Adams, Chen

2010-2011
    PG: Higgins
    SG: Burks
    SF: Knutson
    PF: Relphorde
    C: Dufault
    Bench: Roberson, Tomlinson, Sharpe

2. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

How far back are you going Cruz CB > Spencer and Harrison may give Scott a run for his money.

3. jwhite17

jwhite17 Member

I'm only including the Boyle era from his first team to the current team.

4. rolandftw

rolandftw Club Member Club Member

I think CU's bench in 2010-11 was much better then previous years. Knutson and Roberson off the bench are better then what CU currently has

5. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

Knutson only started 8 games that year when Tomlinson was hurt, Tomlinson started 29 games.

6. scoob

scoob Club Member Club Member

I know you are just using traditional lineups, but Higgins would have to start somewhere, whether you called him a SG ahead of Booker or call him a SF in place of XJ. He was just too good not to be starting on this team.

7. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

If you take the best players from the past 4 seasons, I think you're right. Higgins was a 4-year starter who got a couple cups of coffee in the NBA. That puts him above any of the other SGs.

1- Spencer
    2- Corey
    3- Alec
    4- Dre
    5- Josh

8. TDforTD

TDforTD Banned BANNED Club Member

I think in terms of versatility, we are miles ahead of previous years. Higgins, Burks, Relphorde, were all so frustratingly similar and we were even worse at countering zone defenses because we could only drive to the basket. We have that with Dinwiddie and Booker, but we also have Scott scoring in the post against size, unlike Dufault who was solid but undersized. When Tomlinson was good, he was perhaps a better true PG. Those years we were good but we shrunk when teams got a lead on us on the road, and our defense was hilariously bad, 100 points to Iowa State dafuq??

I really like what our team has become.

9. BuffG

BuffG Well-Known Member

Knutson was the 6th man of the yr in the Big 12. Purest shooter we've had in a decade at least. That was my first year owning season tix. They made it to the semis in the Big 12 falling to KU. Loved that team's offensive ability, it was elite but, no team has been as complete as this team from end-to-end.

I'll add a short bench to Buffnik's starting line up
    1 - Dinwiddie
    2 - Higgins
    3 - Burks
    4 - Roberson
    5 - Scott

Bench - Knutson, XJ, Brown

10. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Josh Scott is definitely better than Dufault, but Austin is one of my favorite Buffs. The second Boyle team is my favorite CU team, not saying it can't be topped however.

11. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

In retrospect, I think missing the Tourney was a good thing. I'm not going to say the Pac-12 doesn't happen or we don't do better that year if we make the Tourney. But I think we played with that chip on our shoulders in the Tourney and it helped lay the foundation for future success.

All that said, I'll always wonder what would've happened if we made the Tourney, Boyle's first year.

12. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

One big impact it had was on Tad with his scheduling. He studied the RPI math and figured out how to do this.

13. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

:nod: He is also quicker to take timeouts and chew his team out when they were sleepwalking against some of lesser teams in the non conference. Seems like he has no intention of letting the first two months burn him again.