1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Three issues on special teams that require immediate attention

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Duff Man, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

1. No more kickoffs going out of bounds. Getting a little ridiculous now and there needs to be change made there the very next time it happens.

2. O'Neill has to be much better. The hang time on his punts is not getting it done right now and that is going to be an issue heading into the meat of the schedule with better athletes returning punts. He should have a short leash right now.

3. Find a new PR. Speedy simply is not comfortable back there and we are not getting enough out of the return game right now.

We are far from a perfect team in other areas, but these are the most immediate changes I can think of right now.

2. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

First issue is with the punt block team. Two games, two blocked punts is a joke. Someone needs to be cliniced in the art of special teams.

3. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

I think returns took a step forward against CSU. They actually got some returns rather than 4 or 5 yards and then tackled.

4. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

O'Neill needs to get the ball off sooner.

He's going to get more punts blocked if he keeps taking all day back there.

5. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

I was starting to wonder why Castor sees the field at all...

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

On the punt protection, this is a correction that needs to be made with O'Neill. No one from CSU was unblocked. O'Neill strided too far up into his protectors and then kicked another line drive. He's still learning and this is something he should have fixed for this week's game.

Totally agree on not using Speedy as a punt returner. As great as he is in open space, it's too much of a risk with him catching the ball and exposing himself to injury. I'd like to see Logan Gray get a shot. Georgia used him there.

Kickoffs out of bounds is a horrible problem. We had some great kickoffs through the end zone and then we have another out of bounds kick that set up CSU with great field position for its 2nd scoring drive. Give Grossnickle a shot here.

7. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Actually the second scoring drive was set up with the excessive celebration penalty, so we were kicking from the 15.

8. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Special teams have been a disappointment to me thus far. Maybe we just don't have enough athletes(wishful thinking?)

9. RK

RK UBL Club Member

I think they either need to move Darragh back, move the pp up or my favorite get rid of the whole pp system all together and just go to a traditional protection scheme.

10. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Guys, guys, guys...

While we could use some improvement in special teams, this team is light years ahead of where we were last year. The improvement is very noticable. We haven't missed a single PAT or FG attempt all year long. That alone is worty of celebration.

11. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

Or Darragh needs to actually get better at his job.

12. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

the first thought when I read this was find a new Paul Richardson. Maybe we can make that number 4 on the list.