1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ticket price increase thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by sackman, Feb 3, 2009.

1. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Ticket prices for several section (including mine) are going up $8/seat per game starting next year. That's a 16% increase.

Pros:
    This is the first price increase in over 4 years
    The price remains competitive when compared to other Big 12 schools, and to the local NFL franchise.
    The AD needs the additional revenue if we want to remain competitive.

Cons:
    We're in a recession, entertainment dollars are at a premium
    This hits a lot of the most loyal fans
    It could lead to fewer ticket sales, thus lower overall revenues.
    Timing: three losing seasons in a row isn't the best time to hit us with a price increase.

Thoughts?

2. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

I'm seriously considering not renewing this year, but it has nothing to do with the ticket increases. I'll still be at the games, but I might be buying single game tickets as I go.

I think the ticket increase is at the wrong time as well.

3. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Price per game is more but becuase there are fewer games isnt the overall cost less?

4. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I think it makes this season all the more important. I understand that they haven't raised prices for a few years now, but this seems like poor timing.

5. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

I think you're right on the pros AND the cons. I also think most observers are going to see the cons a lot more than the pros. The timing on this is really not good.

Are we going to need to collect more on the AB tickets this year, or is Abs right that the overall cost is actually going to be less?? :huh:

6. absinthe

From the Camera:

"A season ticket in the sections affected by the increase for 2009 will cost $348. Because next year’s season ticket package will include six games instead of seven, a season ticket this year will actually cost $7 less than in 2008."

7. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

To me, anything over about $20-25 per ticket is too much. I don't know what they are charging now, but I get the feeling I was priced out the day I threw my cap into the air.

8. absinthe

For some games last year they did a 4 for $40 package, you can certainly get tickets under the $25 range. You just cant be choosy about where they are.

9. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

How did you arrive at the $20-25 figure? I'm actually curious because it seems like an arbitrary figure to me.

10. sackman

From what I can gather, this increase does not impact the AB tickets. My plan was to simply collect $25 from more people as opposed to asking for more money per person anyway. I don't know when renewals go out, but it'll probably be pretty soon, as the news of the increase had to come out right before the renewals went out.

11. CSU Husker

CSU Husker Well-Known Member

Sounds like a pretty smart move actually, since they are essentially keeping the season ticket price the same. Granted they might lose a few people over the principal, but think about how much money they lose if they dont, due to that lost game.

12. sackman

Point taken, but do you think they'll lower the per game price when we have 7 games instead of 6?

Yeah, I don't think so either.

I should add that I fully expect we'll pay the extra and keep our seats. We've been in the same seats for over 20 years, so we have no interest in moving.

13. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

If anyone has tickets in 118 or 119 they won't be renewing drop me a PM.

14. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

No increase for me in the cheap seats :smile2:...actually saves me $$ because of the lost game....but I'd rather be paying for 1 more game, so I'll have to get my fix for another away game

15. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

If people drop their season tickets over $8 that is PATHETIC. jmo

16. buffwoman526

buffwoman526 Club Member Club Member

Sounds like renewals are going out today according to an email I just got.

The increase doesn't bother me since I was budgeting the same amount that we paid last year anyway.

Since I have only been a season ticket holder for a year, I don't feel like I have the right to complain just yet. :smile:

17. sackman

I don't know that you'll get too many people dropping their season tickets. What is more likely, IMO, is that people in the affected sections will move to different parts of the stadium. This will leave many of those seats to be sold on a single-game basis, which doesn't carry a seat tax. In theory, this could increase overall per-game attendance, but decrease overall per-game revenue. The seat tax in those sections runs $200-$300 per year per seat. The ticket increase is only $48 per year.

18. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

You've been saying this for at least the past 5 years.

19. BuckinFuffs

BuckinFuffs Active Member

timing is poor, but I can imagine they are facing some serious budget issues that need the revenue. they have probably modeled the 'increase' vs. 'loss of customer' issue and they are good with the gamble.

I can't make all the games anyway so I single ticket to as many games as I can which turns out to about 4/year.

20. Buffarino

Yep, but I'm more serious this year than in others. 2 years ago we moved from Sec. 107 to 109 because of the hike in seat taxes. I pay for 3 season tickets plus seat taxes. I can definitely think of better uses for that $1100-1200 per year right about now.

I'm not saying I will drop them, I'm merely saying it is a real option for my family. I'd say I'm probably 50/50 right now.

21. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Ya like the HIGH end hotel in San Fran you were demanding. Yup, the economy is tough on you:rolleyes::cool:

22. Buffarino

That's for my clients, jagoff.

But thanks for piping up, Mr. My Parents Pay All My Living Expenses.

23. ladyblaise

ladyblaise Club Member Club Member

i intend to visit folsom as frequently as before the price hike.

i also intend to go on the road for the buffs the same.

and for the record, it was super sweet to have my parents help me out when i was in college. :thumbsup: enjoy your time in boulder, buff brothers!