1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tim Donaghy interview on 60 Minutes

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by sackman, Dec 7, 2009.

1. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Donaghy was the NBA ref who went to prison for betting on NBA games. In the interview, he said that there was a well known conspiracy against Allen Iverson, and that refs wouldn't call fouls made against him, and would call stuff on him that was suspect, just to make sure he "got the message".

THIS is the problem with the game of basketball. I'm 100% convinced that this kind of thing not only happens in the NBA (duh, look at who the reigning champion is), but in the college game as well. It took a disgraced referee to actually come out and admit it, but it's been obvious to me for many years.

It's a shame, because basketball could be a good game to watch.

2. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

kind of like Kobe but opposite...

3. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

FIFY :thumbsup:

Sexton Hardcastle likes this.
  4. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Basketball is a beautiful game.

5. The Guest

The Guest Guest

NBA games are always tied in the middle of the fourth quarter. No exceptions. They could streamline the entire game by just giving each team 83 points and playing for seven minutes.

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

^^^This^^^

And when did anything Tim Donaghy says become remotely credible? :smile2:

7. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I can take bball in short spurts... but watching the officiating is the worst of any SPORT, bar none

8. sackman

Perhaps when it was obvious that he's telling the truth? I'm convinced the NBA is fixed. The NCAA is probably not as blatant, but they have their favorites. Of that I'm also convinced.

9. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Can we move this thread to the Pub where is obviously belongs.

10. sackman

It's a basketball story, I figured it belonged in the basketball forum. Move it to wherever.

11. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

Do you honestly believe something like this is NOT true???

I couldn't agree more about certain players & teams getting the calls when they need them, while others just don't have the "luck" per se.....NBA has by far the most fishy officiating & I would find it hard not to believe Tim as disgraced as he may be

12. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Scott Hastings once said that a ref told Melo that he doesn't get as many calls as a lot of superstars because he is too big.

13. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

Lebron is bigger. That is just a weak excuse. It was because Melo had a poor public image. He is getting more calls this year and will continue to get more later as long as he doesn't mess up off the court.

14. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Here's my thing with Donaghy. He's a convicted felon as a known liar and cheat. He has no professional future. His only hope to ever earn a decent income is to sell a tell-all book after making the talk show circuit with sensational claims. So, no, I don't believe a word he says about anything until someone with an ounce of credibility corroborates it.

15. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Agree 100%

16. sackman

That's the problem. Nobody who has anything to lose would come out and make these assertions. I believe him because I can see it with my own eyes.

17. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Wow. You've become quite the BB expert. That's about a 180 from a year ago. Good for you. :thumbsup:

18. sackman

You and I have gone around and around on this many times. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I used to be a huge basketball fan. I know the rules and I know how the game is supposed to be played. It has become obvious to me that the game itself has a fundamental flaw that the Donaghy situation has exposed. You can deny it and make fun of me all you want, but there is obvious truth in what he's saying to anybody who cares to pay attention.

19. The Guest

The Guest Guest

I think a bigger flaw is the one that Rugged exposed in post #16, in which essentially acknowledges that different players are treated differently--based on their off-court repuatations--and appears to be perfectly okay with it as a fan.

What kind of game is this?

20. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

It's a great game with certain flaws.

21. sackman

It's a great game with some fundamental flaws.

22. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

Donaghy listing Iverson and Rasheed Wallace as targets was not suprising...what was suprising that Chauncey was also one of the names he gave....that made me scratch my head and think maybe he was telling the truth

23. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

That is David Stern's take on it, and, by God, he's sticking to it!

24. L Buff

L Buff Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left Club Member

All sports have a level of subjectivity where officiating is concerned.

Who do you think gets a tighter strike zone ... Albert Pujols or Dexter Fowler?

25. sackman

There's a difference there. A huge diffence, actually. Albert Pujols has proven that he knows where the damn strike zone is. Probably a better example would be Derek Jeter. He doesn't strike out as much because the ump questions himself if he thinks it's a strike and there was no swing. That's not showing favoritism, IMO. And they're not out to get Dexter Fowler, either. He just hasn't earned that reputation.

26. BuffGuy91

BuffGuy91 Well-Known Member

THE NBA pisses me off, because the head office either refuses to acknowledge these blatant flaws or they just dismiss them as some quack job theory. When David Stern recognizes that there's a flaw with the officiating, then that is when the NBA will start to get more creditability with the majority of sports fans.

27. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

My take on this is, I didnt have to hear or believe anything that jackass said. Ive seen it in the NBA for years and years and years. College basketball is just about as bad. See it with my own eyes daily during the season every year. Other words, this is not news at all imho. That said, bball is my second favorite sport.