What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Top 25 college football stadiums

According to Dennis Dodd from CBS sportline.com
The only problem i have is he rated AF stadium higher than Folsom.

The Top 25 Stadiums
Rk School (Stadium)
1 Texas A&M (Kyle Field)
2 Notre Dame (Notre Dame Stadium)
3 Tennessee (Neyland Stadium)
4 Florida (Ben Hill Griffin Stadium)
5 LSU (Tiger Stadium)
6 Nebraska (Memorial Stadium)
7 Florida State (Doak Campbell Stadium)
8 Alabama (Bryant-Denny Stadium)
9 Auburn (Jordan-Hare Stadium)
10 Georgia (Sanford Stadium)
11 Michigan (Michigan Stadium)
11 Penn State (Beaver Stadium)
13 Oregon (Autzen Stadium)
13 USC (L.A. Coliseum)
15 Army (Michie Stadium)
15 Clemson (Memorial Stadium)
15 UCLA (Rose Bowl)
18 Texas (Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium)
18 Washington (Husky Stadium)
20 Air Force (Falcon Stadium)
21 Wisconsin (Camp Randall)
22 BYU (LaVell Edwards Stadium)
23 Fresno State (Bulldog Stadium)
24 Colorado (Folsom Field)
25 Cal (Memorial Stadium)

I've been to 1, 6, 11 (UM), 13(USC) , 18 (both), 20 and 24. USC and NU have no business above CU. AF, I could go either way on that one, it's a pretty good venue.

Last edited:
I can honestly say I've never been to a better stadium than Folsom. I've been to a couple on that list, too.

As a matter of fact, one of the members of my Rotary Club is a Notre Dame alum and even HE admits that Folsom is a better stadium than ND's.

This is not a shot at you blaise in any way, but I wish CU had a little more fake people to come to the home games. I am really ****ing sick and tired seeing people show up to the games halfway through the first quarter if they come at all. CU has very very fickle ass fans. And dont give me that **** about how much other **** there is to do in colorado. There are only what 6 home games? and we cant even fill up the stadium. I love CU. And i am sure most of the people here at allbuffs.com support our Buffs. But i am sick of these fickle fans not coming to the games to support our buffs. Even if CU loses every ****ing game i will still have my ass up there in the stands supporting my team! GO BUFFS!

The solution to poor attendance is WINS.

A few 10+ game willing seasons and the attendance will be fine.
Unfortunately, because CU maintains a schedule most NFL teams wouldn't attempt- it is doubtful that CU will win 10 games anytime soon.

The solution to poor attendance is WINS.

A few 10+ game willing seasons and the attendance will be fine.
Unfortunately, because CU maintains a schedule most NFL teams wouldn't attempt- it is doubtful that CU will win 10 games anytime soon.

that in itself is why CU will never be a perennial power, fans that come to see a winning team only makes CU... just another team.

:wtf: are :rip: cornholio :rip: and USC doing on that list. Their stadiums are ****ing dumps.
L.A. Coliseum and the USC campus are located in one of the **** parts of L.A.
It ain't Compton, but it's no nice neighborhood by a long shot. Just make sure your ass is out of there when the game is over.

that in itself is why CU will never be a perennial power, fans that come to see a winning team only makes CU... just another team.

Yeah, right. Do you remember 10 years ago, when USC couldn't give away tickets? Or when John Macovic was in Austin and their stadium was about 3/4 full every Saturday? I'd love to be just another team if it means we're in the same boat as those two. Having a maniacal, fervent fan base does not automaticaly translate into powerhouse status.

This is not a shot at you blaise in any way, but I wish CU had a little more fake people to come to the home games. I am really ****ing sick and tired seeing people show up to the games halfway through the first quarter if they come at all. CU has very very fickle ass fans. And dont give me that **** about how much other **** there is to do in colorado. There are only what 6 home games? and we cant even fill up the stadium. I love CU. And i am sure most of the people here at allbuffs.com support our Buffs. But i am sick of these fickle fans not coming to the games to support our buffs. Even if CU loses every ****ing game i will still have my ass up there in the stands supporting my team! GO BUFFS!

i am not taking it as a shot at me, unless you are suggesting i am responsible, or that i excuse the behavior. i am very vocal about the fact that the largest contingency of the fickle assed fans need their liberal ticket percentage yanked, and that they can be sold to the successful and steady family packages.

waylon, sometimes you just have to put yourself out there and look like the biggest assed idiot on the board. sweetie, we are just a few years removed from a point where the buffs ranked among the winningest teams in the ncaa for the previous decade. even with a few years in the dumps, cu held that rating. i would call that a perennial power.

in short, what i am trying to say to you is "never say never", and "you don't know a whole lot about buff football".

Yeah, right. Do you remember 10 years ago, when USC couldn't give away tickets? Or when John Macovic was in Austin and their stadium was about 3/4 full every Saturday? I'd love to be just another team if it means we're in the same boat as those two. Having a maniacal, fervent fan base does not automaticaly translate into powerhouse status.

just call him a big dummy, like you want to... :thumbsup:

who else has a list?

Folsom Field (Colorado)
Sun Devil Stadium (Arizona St, Fiesta Bowl 2002)
Bill Snyder Family Football Stadium (Kansas St.) (I just found out they renamed this one)
Memorial Stadium (Kansas)
Boone Pickens Stadium (Oklahoma St.)
Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium (Texas)
Citrus Bowl (UCF, Champ Sports Bowl 2005)

Also got to see College games in these stadiums, even though they're not college stadiums.

Invesco Field (CU vs. CSU)
Texas Stadium (CU vs Texas, Big XII Championship 2001)
Reliant Stadium (CU vs OU, Big XII Championship 2002; CU vs UTEP, Houston Bowl 2004; CU vs Texas, Big XII Championship 2005)
Alamo Dome (CU vs Wisconson, Alamo Bowl 2002)
Arrowhead (CU vs OU, Big XII championship 2004)

And I didn't pay a dime to go to any of them! The best perk of being in Marching band! (Although I really wish I wasn't at that 2005 Big XII championship game... oy....)

waylon, sometimes you just have to put yourself out there and look like the biggest assed idiot on the board. sweetie, we are just a few years removed from a point where the buffs ranked among the winningest teams in the ncaa for the previous decade. even with a few years in the dumps, cu held that rating. i would call that a perennial power.

in short, what i am trying to say to you is "never say never", and "you don't know a whole lot about buff football".

:

My original point is, it is not all about wins and losses, to maintain being a power you need to have tradition, to have tradition the first thing you must have are filled seats. can teams have periods of sustained glory without it?..... sure, look at Miami. unlike UM, CU does not have the ability to field top 20 teams with Colorado grown talent. Recruits are drawn in by facilities and fans, cu will always be IMO an up and down team, short periods of success, long gaps with out. For what ever reason CU athletics are pretty much overlooked by the citizens of Colorado..... to many things to do, too many pro sports, to many D1 schools, nobody in CO is from CO..... whatever the reasons are at the end of the day, they cant draw, they cant draw in any sport. They cant field a full slate of athletic teams, and often run in the red financially in the Ath Dept.

CU has with out a doubt one of the most scenic campuses, prettiest stadiums I have ever seen, they are 40 min away from about 3 million people but they will continue to struggle with filling the house. A few 10 win seasons wont do that, cu must find a way to fill the place and have sellouts when they have 6 win seasons. Until cu cracks the code on that it is what it is. I think cu has a great amount of respect for Georgia's program, they too have had a few down years but they fill the house and if you ask the average CFB fan they would consider them a traditional power, traditional programs draw regardless of the w's is all I am saying and I do not know a lot about buff FB but I know enough to know they are not considered in the top tier of traditional powers.

I say again- the cure to what ails CU football is WINS.

I realize full well that I am in the minority, but I would gladly take a non-conference schedule with only 30,000 seats in the stands per game if it meant victory in each game.

Bringing in opponents to generate revenue at the price of winning football games is not good football business, IMO.

My original point is, it is not all about wins and losses, to maintain being a power you need to have tradition, to have tradition the first thing you must have are filled seats.

That's just flat out wrong. Incorrect. See how many seats are sold in Lincoln after 6 or 7 seasons at 3-9. You've been lucky that it hasn't happened - yet. But eventually it will. ****, look at Oklahoma. Before Stoops got there, they couldn't give tickets away. Would you be so bold as to say that Oklahoma has no tradition? How many examples do you want? Here's another one - Alabama. They sell out every game and have for like 100 years. Has that helped their on-field performance lately? (Sorry Chuck). Would you call Wisconsin a perennial power? No? Well they have an 80,000+ seat stadium that is filled every week. Yeah, they have some good years and some not-so good years, but there's always a ****-load of people in the stands. Your contention that attendance somehow equates to tradition and thus elite status is so far off the mark and riddled with contradictions as to be laughable.

bigdummy01.jpg

I've seen games at

Memorial Stadium
Notre Dame
Big House
Folsom Field
Jack Trice
Camp Randall
HumphreyDome (Minneapolis)

and I'd rank them in that order.

The actual game atmosphere is just awesome at ND, but it wasn't very rowdy. The fans have some neat traditions there though too.

I was at Camp Randall right about the time Wisconsin was starting to get decent and nobody cared. I bet it's much better now than it was then.

The only game I've been to at Folsom was an NU game, naturally, and since you guys consider us your rival, then it was probably the rowdiest and most filled it had been all year. But, it was pretty good actually. Iwas surprised.

I went to Jack Trice this past season and it was pretty good too. Everyone had on these yellow shirts that said to beat NU. It was loud and a lot better than I thought. But the stadium itself looked like a high school team should be playing there instead.

Memorial is home. I'm partial. Bite me.

The big house was cool just because it was the big house. Not much really got my attention though.

The HumphreyDome was by far the worst. It was inside, it was the Michigan game a couple of years ago, 2004 I think when Michigan scored 31 in the 4th quarter to beat Minn. This was Minn's biggest game in probably 5 seasons, and I walked to the dome without a ticket and $100 bucks in my pocket figuring I'd be getting a scalped ticket, bought a $10 ticket from the ticket booth and the place was about half full. Plus it was inside. It sucked.

That's just flat out wrong. Incorrect. See how many seats are sold in Lincoln after 6 or 7 seasons at 3-9. You've been lucky that it hasn't happened - yet. But eventually it will. ****, look at Oklahoma. Before Stoops got there, they couldn't give tickets away. Would you be so bold as to say that Oklahoma has no tradition? How many examples do you want? Here's another one - Alabama. They sell out every game and have for like 100 years. Has that helped their on-field performance lately? (Sorry Chuck). Would you call Wisconsin a perennial power? No? Well they have an 80,000+ seat stadium that is filled every week. Yeah, they have some good years and some not-so good years, but there's always a ****-load of people in the stands. Your contention that attendance somehow equates to tradition and thus elite status is so far off the mark and riddled with contradictions as to be laughable.

bigdummy01.jpg

you cant take just one sentence of what I said.....

Is CU considered an top tier team? not in my books.
I would consider Wisconsin, Alabama, Notre Dumb, State Penn or any of the others you want to throw up there. They have asses in the seats, that brings in money, that allows a program to improve the infrastructure it takes to compete consistently. CU has every potential to have a rebuild to glory, produce wins, win a CCG..... that is not my point... but to sustain that will be very hard with out dough rolling in regardless of the record..... Could winning be the first step in that process?.... absolutely, if that is the angle you are taking I will agree with it, but if winning is the only way to fill it, good luck on the long term. Even if CU starts selling out every game will the books balance? all the teams you mentioned have one thing in common.... $$$$$$. Why was OU able to rebuild?..... $$$$$, USC?....$$$, Texas?.....$$$$. were all of those schools selling out when bottomed out? no, but they had enough money from other sources that cu apparently does not.
How do you get $$$$? the easiest way is by filling seats, that has to be #1 before anything else IMO for cu to be considered a top tier program, if they have other sources of money, where are they?

Honestly I consider NU as holding the last seat of the top tier, there should be no way for them to sustain the amount of cash it takes to compete with any of the schools you mentioned, or any of the B12S for that matter... IMO they are on very fragile ground, the numbers are still good, they are in the black but if Stievie P has another mis-step it could all come tumbling down..... and it might come down anyway, but as long as there are 77k asses parked in the house their chances are better than any of the B12n to remain on top. I also think it would take more than 5-6 years of losing for that to happen, I mean, what else do we have to do in this state anyway?

I dont think we are that far off the mark with each other here.

Last edited:

bigdummy01.jpg

I'll throw in another example. Maybe the best one out there. Miami. Da U. I think even a fusker would agree that they are a perennial power. How many asses are they putting in the seats?

I'll throw in another example. Maybe the best one out there. Miami. Da U. I think even a fusker would agree that they are a perennial power. How many asses are they putting in the seats?

Here's another one. USC. That stadium was empty before the condoms rose to power again.

OBowl holds 72k. Only full when they play either UF or FSU. I think they average in the 40k range. However, they are very expensive private school with oodles of revenue from alums, former players, and their graduate programs.

USC is pretty much the same situation with their draw being better in 100k capacity stadium.

I have been to these:

4 Florida (Ben Hill Griffin Stadium) Loud as hell (Saw Tenn. v. Fla)
6 Nebraska (Memorial Stadium) sucks
7 Florida State (Doak Campbell Stadium) i was too drunk to remember
11 Michigan (Michigan Stadium) couldnt be better :smile2:
11 Penn State (Beaver Stadium) i h8 PSU fans... I am jaded
13 USC (L.A. Coliseum) horrible stadium
15 UCLA (Rose Bowl) nice and relaxing to have some wine
18 Washington (Husky Stadium) seats suck, too far away
21 Wisconsin (Camp Randall) awesome in the upper deck
24 Colorado (Folsom Field) LOVE IT! Right on the field!

So many people were at the Wisconsin game? Damn, I felt like No CU people were there!

What's with naming stadiums "Memorial"? There's 4 on the list and probably a bunch more that didn't make the list:

The Top 25 Stadiums

Can't these communities muster up enough creativity to make up an original name? :wow:

i have watched a game in five of these stadiums...it would be interesting to see who on here has seen games in the most stadiums on this list...

my list is:
la coliseum
falcon stadium
wisconsin camp randall
folsom field
cal memorial stadium

who else has a list?

7 for me...

1 Texas A&M (Kyle Field)
7 Florida State (Doak Campbell Stadium)
10 Georgia (Sanford Stadium)
11 Michigan (Michigan Stadium)
21 Wisconsin (Camp Randall)
24 Colorado (Folsom Field)

What's with naming stadiums "Memorial"? There's 4 on the list and probably a bunch more that didn't make the list:

The Top 25 Stadiums

Can't these communities muster up enough creativity to make up an original name? :wow:

Here's a hint; They were all built after the second big one.

Here's a hint; They were all built after the second big one.
No ****! Come on man, I'm just asking why they couldn't come up with a more creative name. They could have picked a cool WWII name that would have been better than "Memorial". How about "Pacific Victory" stadium or "American Heros" stadium. Hell for Berkley they could do "We went to Canada" stadium. I'm just saying there are lots of options but "the greatest generation" seemed to be short of creativity when it came to naming their stadiums. It's not meant to be knock against them, just an observation.

I'm just saying there are lots of options but "the greatest generation" seemed to be short of creativity when it came to naming their stadiums. It's not meant to be knock against them, just an observation.

yeah, they were too busy saving our asses from Hitler and the Jap Imperials.... guess they were not in the mood for "light and fluffy" names at the time bra. Most did not consider themselves heroes or the greatest generation.... they did what they thought any American should do at the time.

I would say to rename a few of them would be ok as they're actions have become more and more great as time passes.

yeah, they were too busy saving our asses from Hitler and the Jap Imperials.... guess they were not in the mood for "light and fluffy" names at the time bra. Most did not consider themselves heroes or the greatest generation.... they did what they thought any American should do at the time.

I would say to rename a few of them would be ok as they're actions have become more and more great as time passes.

Oh. I thought the pHuskers named their stadium Memorial Stadium in memory of their once proud program.

My bad.

:finger2::finger2:

(By the way, your answer was a little self-righteous and unnecessarily condescending, but I forgive you. :wink2: )

And in how many of those stadiums have YOU been???

a number of them, thank you, and that number is growing each season. everyone around here has heard details after each stadium visit, and therefore, i do not need to bore long standing friends and acquaintances with repeat information.

those not on the call list can mind their own damned business about where i have been. that group includes you.

What an irrelevant question. LB isn't the one who put out the ranking, was she? Nice try.
:huh:

is it just me, or does it seem that every stupid husker fan has access to both a computer and our site? i SWEAR there are SOME decent nebraskans alive. we just do not see much evidence of it here.

well, i haven't been to all of them, but i guess you have to factor atmosphere and electricity and those types of things into the mix when you are evaluating this.

looking thru the list, you can quibble about whether someone is too high or too low but there are only a few that jump out at me as way off... i wouldn't put the fuskers that high because it is an ugly crap box of stalinesque architecture, but they do have a unique atmosphere and all that. what a ****hole of a town, too, but they ARE really into the game and that's neat in a folksy kind of a way.

oregon, ucla, cal, and fresno state really shouldn't be on the list at all. yeah, the rosebowl is special but there is nothing special going on there for ucla games and i have been to several. hell, at the last CU/ucla game, the Buff fans were WAY more into the game in the 4th quarter than the bruin fans.

the service academies he's got up there because of tradition and environment, i guess.

I'm impressed as many as some of you have been. I've been to DKR and wasn't that impressed. and, i went to Owen Field in Norman a few times in high school since my mom got remarried to an OU Law guy....and I liked Owen a lot more. you can feel the history there. DKR just seemed "big" and bland to me.

worst football stadium i've been to was the Sugar Bowl at the Superdome. awful. a football stadium should not have carpet in the ramps. period.

that said: Folsom is the best. I walk by there almost every day and fall in love again and again.

I'd like to go to Kyle, but i'm not a big fan of the Aggies. the one's i've met seem to be goobers and act like they went to Harvard times Oxford. though, Ut fans are a bit the same. but, culturally i can hang with UT fan more than Ag.

Last edited:
looking thru the list, you can quibble about whether someone is too high or too low but there are only a few that jump out at me as way off... i wouldn't put the fuskers that high because it is an ugly crap box of stalinesque architecture, but they do have a unique atmosphere and all that. what a ****hole of a town, too, but they ARE really into the game and that's neat in a folksy kind of a way..

i don't mind Lincoln that much for a college town. but, all the seats are in the endzones?

Back