1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top Colorado recruits that CU missed out on

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Unleash Hell, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

This should be depressing, but I was just trying to think of Colorado talent that decided to go out of state. Who are some of the best all time?

I can think of Tony Boselli and Jeff Byers. Who are some others?

2. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

Lendale White went to Denver South iirc

3. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Maybe when we're done with this thread, we can talk about the hottest women who shot us down.

4. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Sarah Johnson. She was a senior when I was a sophomore.

zbuff likes this.
  5. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

If history proves anything, the Colorado prep players that were most successful in college typically stayed local, whether it be CU or CSU. Mister Jones and Leilon Willingham being the most recent examples.

6. FlaBuff

FlaBuff I drive a Dodge Stratus! Club Member

Ryan Clement learned character and integrity at "duh U" and what was that kicker for FSU that specialized in audiotape?

7. dply

Bentley?

8. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

yep - Scott Bentley. Kicker from Overland. Decided on FSU instead of CU because he supposedly wanted to play baseball. I don't think he ever played baseball at FSU. His father owned a car dealership in Boulder and would come into the bank I worked at. I struck up a conversation with him once when Scott was making his decision. He wanted Scott to go to CU, but admitted that it wasn't likely.

Zach Latimer, Bo Scaife, Scott Lockwood (Fairview sucks) and Phil Loadholt are others that come immediately to mind.

9. Jaximus

Jaximus Club Member Club Member

Jeff Byers was a great prospect. But didn't he end up having 2 medical redshirt years? And I don't know that he always started for USC. I still wish CU would have got em. He graduated the same year I did and I think I remember people ranking him as a higher prospect that Adrian Peterson.

10. Jaximus

From what I knew from having mutual friends was that Loadholt had high interest in CU but didn't have the grades. So he went to a JUCO in Kansas before going to Oklahoma. I doubt he could have got into CU after the JUCO anyway. Freakin Loadholt beat me in the state discus throw by 7 inches! Good guy though.

11. sackman

I know Loadholt was interested in CU, and that grades were what kept him out. Still, he's a local guy who went somewhere else and is now playing in the NFL. That hurts.

12. 89Buff

89Buff New Member

Brian Kelly, DB from Overland. Four year starter at usc including his freshman year. 2nd round NFL pick by the TB Bucs an d a nice long career. Best player I ever coached against. Mac chose to make Elton Davis the priority, but Kelly was a much better player to anyone who saw each play.

Next in line would be the aforementined Bo Scaife. It wasn't fair a guy his size could run like a deer as he did. CU never had a shot, but it didn't help it was the year CU transisioned from neweasel to Barnett.

13. rodrigo

rodrigo Well-Known Member

A real oldie - Terry Miller, rb from CS Mitchell who played at OklaSt prior to the Barry Sanders/Thurmann Thomas years.

Then of course there is Steve "Dr. Death" Williams from Lakewood who wrestled and played for Switzer at Oklahoma.

14. Bass

Bass Club Member Club Member

Jon Cooper and Jesse White both would have helped our dreadful o-line but they decided to go to OU. I had the misfortune of having to play against both of them in high school.

15. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

Wasn't Vincent Jackson a CS kid? Not sure that CU was really after him though.

16. sackman

Jesse White was a CU legacy, too. His dad is Leon White. Otherwise known as Vader.

[​IMG]

The story goes that Barnett had had enough of overbearing parents after dealing with Ochs' dad and Herman Houston. Leon White had made a habit of hanging out at Jesse's high school practices and was still a very visible guy around the CU program. Barnett didn't want the distraction, so he slow played the kid.

17. Bass

Bass Club Member Club Member

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  18. dply

South park studios isn't really embedding friendly.

19. 64yds6sec

64yds6sec New Member

Calais Campbell comes to my mind

20. Denver_sc

Denver_sc Club Member Club Member

Yes. Widefield HS. My team played Widefield his (and my) senior year in HS. I do not remember our coaches ever saying anything about him (he was a TE) or to gameplan around him. I think he was a bit of a late bloomer, which explains why he ended up at UNC despite being the physical freak he is today.

It used to be a bit of an unhealthy obsession for my college buddy and I to track the kids from CO that went elsewhere and did well, and the list so far seems long on "good prospects" CU whiffed on, and short on impact guys at the next levels:

Calais Campbell (still in the NFL, I think)
    Alex Smith (the TE, not the QB)
    Zach Latimer
    Kasey Studdard (OL at Texas, did pretty well)
    Zac Robinson (Had a couple of pretty good years at Okie Lite)
    Lamarr Houston (killed it at Texas even though he was a bit soft coming out of HS)
    Devin Aguilar (I was at UW Stadium last year... ugh)

21. Tea Rex

Tea Rex Club Member Club Member

Allan Webb wasn't bad either

22. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Loadholt wanted to commit to CU. They wouldn't take him because they knew he wasn't going to make the grades.

23. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

Calais isn't just "still in the NFL". He signed a $55 million 5 year contract this year.

24. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Roc Alexander, although given his later rape allegations at UW, would've likely been a complete disaster for us off the field.

25. Tea Rex

Tea Rex Club Member Club Member

Although he sucked massively as a pro Andre Woolfolk was good at OU and a 1st round pick.

26. SuperBuff

SuperBuff Club Member Club Member

these may have been said, I don't think I saw them but Devin Aguilar. wideout for washington came out of mullen. And jeremiah Sirles. he is starting tackle for the huskers. His family really wanted.him to stay in stae but we see how that worked.

27. Jaximus

Imagine if CU had just got half of these guys mentioned? Fml...

28. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

Great list of names, but just wanted to mention Alex Molden (Sierra) and Butch Lewis (Regis). Alex was great at Oregon and Butch did very well at USC.

29. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Leon demanded a guaranty from Barnett about playing time and/or starting and was told no due to the reasons you stated.

30. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I'm more concerned about guys like Maurice Jones-Drew and Jeremy Maclin who we had on board before bungling things.