1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV contracts?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by BuffFan, Oct 25, 2007.

1. BuffFan

BuffFan Member

I thought once the networks picked the games for the week, under contract, no other games could be aired. How the f*** did OSU and NU get a PPV game?

2. Cornh8er

Cornh8er Well-Known Member

The home team can pick if they want it televised, I believe. I think they hire crews from around their region. A lot of teams dont like doing it, because fans dont think they should have to pay to watch their teams on TV. Only the Cornholers:lol:

3. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

Other games can be aired, they just can't be on 'free' tv at the same time as one of the network games. Teams can do a PPV game at any time they choose.

4. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

CU had one PPV game in 2004 and 2005 (I don't think there was one last year).

5. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Thats becuase no one would have paid for last year if they didnt pay in advance.

6. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

sadly, you speak the truth.

7. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure even Pay Per View games must get approved by the powers that be.

8. MiamiBuffs

They cost money.

Each network has a dedicated number of location teams and crew that cover games around the country. As well there are a few companies that have the equipment that subcontract to do the work for the networks when they want extra capacity. So, if you dont pick up the game but decide to go for PPV then you will need to find the money to hire the truck, equipment, and crew and then hope to break even or make money on it.

9. BuffFan

BuffFan Member

That is not the way it was explained to me. I suggested that they stream the game to buff TV on a static camera. That would cost almost nothing and I would watch it just to see the game. I was told that the networks go in order and choose the games they want to air. Once they are done choosing games no one else can air a Big 12 game.

10. BuffThat

BuffThat Member

I'm not sure how PPV works, but ABC, ESPN, and then Fox RN pick the games they want. We could stream home CU football games on BuffsTV/CUBuffs.com but they'd have to start after the Big XII television games were over, around 8:30PM.

11. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

No one else can air a NON-PPV Big XII game at the same time. Here's some info I dug up from an old P-'tudes article (the networks & order in which they choose have changed, but I imagine the basic info is still the same):

"[After the networks have chosen their games], The only other way for a game to be televised is to receive permission from the conference and the networks to televise a game via pay-per-view, or we could televise locally outside all the broadcast windows, but that would mean kicking off by 7 a.m. or after 8:30 p.m. to avoid conflicts, and that’s not going to happen. Thus the reason why a game could be on PPV or not at all."

https://admin.xosn.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=87138

12. MiamiBuffs

Thats true. The networks pay for the exclusive right to air the game. Then they protect themselves by blocking others from airing a game that would compete against their audience (think protecting advertisers dollars).

There is still a cost associated with PPV production. With a fixed camera or a single camera your going to miss a lot of detail. On a low res stream you will not be able to see the ball in some cases. Even the stream has a bandwith cost.