What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Unleash's CF 2007 preview part 1

Since he put that trohpy in UT's glass case everything is changed. You can't joke about recruiting NCs and little things like that anymore. He beat a lights out good USC team. No not the best USC team ever. But no Carroll USC team sucks either. It was a great game. He beat a lot of good teams that year including OU.

In the end good coaches assemble good talent and bring in good assistants. From there a lot more luck happens than most people think; kids don't leave early, they don't flunk out, they don't get arrested. Your rivals and teams ahead of you in the polls lose and clear the way for you to get in. Your assistants coach up their players correctly and call a good game. If this **** were easy Stoops would have a ring on every finger by now. Yet he who many of us hold in high regard has only two rings unless I am mistaken.

ok ok Mack Brown is a great coach, everybody happy now??

Next I think I'll pick on Pete Carroll, I think he is the most overatted coach to ever coach the college game. He lucked out on all those NC's. :smile2:

Leash - you do have a point regarding Brown (let the **** storm begin). He is a very good coach - and a phenominal recruiter. Texas has had the talent to have captured many MNC's over the years.

The question is all about winning the big games. The USC game was one of those great big game wins and finally put him over the top in terms of being regarded as a great coach. Up until that point, Mack's problem was the big game. Look at all of those OU losses over the years when I really believe Texas was a better team. You can blame each game on one factor or another, but in the end the numbers proved that his team struggled with that big game.

Just my opinion with a couple of facts sprinkled in...

Last edited:
ok ok Mack Brown is a great coach, everybody happy now??

Next I think I'll pick on Pete Carroll, I think he is the most overatted coach to ever coach the college game. He lucked out on all those NC's. :smile2:

Sorry. Gotta give that title to Dennis Franchione.

On the Mack Brown subject I made this little graphic back in the day. I cant use it anymore because he's elevated himself. He won a mNC in a non lopsided game against very competetive opponent and delivered an undisputed title.

Lets see if he can win it again.

I have always thought Brown was a good coach, but I think he entered elite company with the MNC win. Plus he has the Rose Bowl win from the prior year as well. Not too many coaches out there have two BCS bowl wins on their resume. If he manages to win another MNC, the debate will be settled.

Back