1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UO Associate Head Coach Mike Dunlap

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Sexton Hardcastle, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/2009/07/free-throw-shooting-practice-ideas-from.html

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Re: Free Throw Shooting Practice Ideas from Mike Dunlap

Nice to read something from CU's next HC.

3. Sexton Hardcastle

[ame="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=5346487"]Metro's Aussies Video by Geoff - MySpace Video@@AMEPARAM@@http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=5346487@@AMEPARAM@@mediaservices@@AMEPARAM@@myspace@@AMEPARAM@@services/media/embed@@AMEPARAM@@aspx/m@@AMEPARAM@@5346487[/ame]

4. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

I still think that move to UO for Dunlap is interesting/strange. Kent all but got fired last year so that's a pretty unstable situation after the horrendous conference record the Ducks had and he just came from the Lute/U of A carnival ride.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  5. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

I don't know if Dunlap will ever end up at CU, but he and Hawkins have a few similarities about their approach to life, tough love, and high standards/expectations for student athletes. It would be an interesting alliance.

6. Sexton Hardcastle

He turned us down once, and I doubt he'll ever really consider coming here. I think Dunlap knows he can get a better job out there. jmo.

7. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

If there's a vacancy in Boulder anytime soon and Dunlap is a no-no, I'll gladly take Kent. 2 Elite Eights and an average of 18 wins a season at Oregon. Not bad at all.

8. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i have a buddy who is a UO guy and he always (even before last year) thinks Ernie is a great recruiter but generally under-achieves with the talent he's got. he's had a couple McD's types....Malik Hairston and some other dude and didn't really do much. Hairston was big-time 5 star and i think he played all 4 years and not because he was humping for a degree. kind of a rich-man's Ricardo Patton, in that regard. i like Ernie OK. we could do worse.

that team with Ridnour and Luke Jackson and the big Swede at the 5 and the forward who was a good player who's name i forget (Freddie Jones?)....they were fun to watch.

9. Sexton Hardcastle

Good article.

More...

10. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I've stated before that I like Bzdelik. He's a strong fundamental basketball coach and that he's built a great foundation for CU basketball. I also believe that we see the team turn the corner this year with wins and losses.

But I'm almost positive he's going to leave for the NBA after this year, so I'm hoping we get the funding to break ground on the practice facility and the AD gets the buyout money when Coach Bz gets hired away. And Dunlap is the guy I want for 2010. He'd have 2 open scholarships that he can fill late since Bz hasn't done a thing to land someone during the early period. He'd also have a very deep and experienced team coming back. He'd be in a great position to win early and really build this thing to a point where he could enjoy staying at CU a long time.

11. AlferdJasper

Correct me if wrong, but I thought the general summary was that Dunlap had a courtesy meeting with CU but it was evident already they were going with Bzed. Dunlap and CU shook hands, left friends, and went their own way.
    I totally don't remember any official word that CU actually offered; I thought maybe after a private discussion, they (CU and Dunlap) believed it was wrong timing for Dunlap.

I got the feeling he wanted to assist somewhere, not take over a program until he'd worked with an experienced D1 coach.

I could be wrong. What do you remember?

12. Sexton Hardcastle

I hope he sticks around for at least four years.

13. Sexton Hardcastle

You could be right. But I remember him telling CU he wasn't interested.

14. Sexton Hardcastle

more....

15. AlferdJasper

Yes, but at that time he had kids in middle school/high school and possibly didn't want to be torn between between a dad and running a D1 program. Something like that. I got the feeling the meeting with CU was a formality, a breakfast I think, to appease some major donors, but Dunlap said "Thanks, but not the right time."

It wasn't that he turned CU down, per se, if they just had an exploratory breakfast, not an offer. Just my vague recollection.

In a sense, the same thing he told AZ "I said don't pick me, pick another guy..."

I hope bdzlk stays long enough to get the program moving in the right direction. But if Dunlap and CU come to terms someday, I'd be happy to see that too.

16. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Doesn't the AD really want Mark Few?

17. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

He told them he wasn't interested after being interviewed and left dangling in the wind for a period of time. . All coaches say they are withdrawing themselves from consideration after being passed over.

18. Sexton Hardcastle

I stand corrected. :thumbsup: