What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC Pregame Thread: 10/13 @ 8:30 PM on FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Buffs got dominated in the trenches in the first half of the Nebraska game and the DL got dominated in the first half against ASU. The second half in both games were a different story, though, and the Buffs DL and OL held their own (and even dominated at times) after schematic adjustments. UCLA front seven is very big and talented and that didn’t matter; CU dominated.

Has USC dominated anyone in any aspect of the game this year? Serious question as I haven’t really watched much of them this year. They seem like a pretty mediocre team this year, so I’m not sure why we are assuming they are just going to dominate the trenches against us, outside of what the star and recruit rankings suggest.

The scary thing about all that talent USC has is that it can click on any given week. And usually, that week has been against us. So no, they haven't dominated anyone this year, but this week could be when they put it all together and play a complete game. It would be great if they put that off for a game and figured it out against Utah next week. But they're like the villain in a horror movie: you don't know when they're coming, but inevitably, they will show up.

Road wins are tough. A win this weekend would be huge. But CU has more than the USC monkey on its back.

Since joining the PAC-12, CU is .219 on the road (7-25) against conference foes. Respect will be earned after proving that CU is something other than a cupcake suitable for homecoming.

Since 2011, when CU joined:

Zero road wins versus USC, ASU, Cal, UCLA*, UW*

One road win versus UofA, O, Stanford, Utah & WSU

Two road wins vs OSU

* CU beat UCLA in Pasadena in 02 and UW in Seattle in 89

CU Conf road record
ASU 0-4
UCLA 0-4
USC 0-3
Utah 1-3
UofA 1-2
(.111 v South)

UW 0-2
Cal 0-1
Stan 1-1
O 1-2
WSU 1-2
OSU 2-1
(.357 v North)
quite depressing

I think we win. What I think is amazing is that sc has 52 4 and 5 star guys on their roster and we have 6 (at least that is what I saw posted somewhere). With that kind of disparity in perceived talent it is incredible we are going in there with a realistic chance of winning. However I don’t think there is that big a gap in talent because player development is more important than a rating given to a high school junior, and sc doesn’t seem very good at developing their talent. Otherwise they would be a perineal top 10 team. Add in team chemistry, coaching, and game planning to maximize the talent that you have, and a team with slightly better than average “talent” can dominate a “talented” team that is lagging in the other areas. I think that happens this weekend

so, after we win this game, i am thinking i might call up every usc fan i know to offer my, ya know, thoughts and profundities and such. i never really had to do that with fuskers (except live after games) since i do not know a single fusker nor travel in any circle where any fusker could possibly live or work. well, i guess some of them might be out there doing yard work, but it isn't like i'd talk with them.

but, usc... i may call every single one of them i know and then go back through the list and do it again. just because.

this is a big ****ing game.

Let's GO BUFFS!

The scary thing about all that talent USC has is that it can click on any given week. And usually, that week has been against us. So no, they haven't dominated anyone this year, but this week could be when they put it all together and play a complete game. It would be great if they put that off for a game and figured it out against Utah next week. But they're like the villain in a horror movie: you don't know when they're coming, but inevitably, they will show up.
I agree, but there’s also the possibility they are simply a 7-8 win team this year because they no longer have a top 3 draft pick at QB and 1st round RB, and their coaching staff is a bunch of JAGs. Regardless, the score prediction thread seems to suggest Buff fans are optimistic, but the sense I get in every other thread is that it’s just more wishful thinking than actually belief that CU can win.

so, after we win this game, i am thinking i might call up every usc fan i know to offer my, ya know, thoughts and profundities and such. i never really had to do that with fuskers (except live after games) since i do not know a single fusker nor travel in any circle where any fusker could possibly live or work. well, i guess some of them might be out there doing yard work, but it isn't like i'd talk with them.

but, usc... i may call every single one of them i know and then go back through the list and do it again. just because.

this is a big ****ing game.

Let's GO BUFFS!

I am having difficulty talking smack to the USCers in my midst before this game. There is a mighty case of scoreboard and such.

Best I got is an icy glare. With this damn Ophir-Dozen monkey hanging over the program, it’s easier for them to get under my skin than the opposite.

It’s just another game to the trio of Trojans at my office. They’d rather talk about Cal or ND or UDub or ED medication. CU is the least of their concerns.

A win would really improve my morale and provide me with the requisite ****e needed to ****talk

Buffs will win. It is in the cards.

MLzB4GQ

Here's an excerpt from one post on the Trojan forum (sorry Hokie):

"I sat and watched the full Colorado/Arizona State game last Saturday in my living room with my best friend and business partner , who played for the Buffs once, and to see the gleam in his eyes as he watched a FULL Folsom field (which hasn't happened in a while), and all the old sights from his Alma Mater, the duck pond on that so beautiful campus in Boulder... where he used to court babes, as he put it, and nostalgically saw his feisty team fight tooth and nail all game long vs a surprisingly tough Sundevil Team, under Herm Edwards...
well WHAT a relief to feel like I was watching real college football again, watching two REALLY AND TRULY competent head coaches duking it out to the bitter end, watching my partner's glow as he rose for the first time since the game started, HE'S THE SILENT IMMOVABLE TYPE, and quietly sticking out his fist for me to give him a knuckle knock, wow! I REALLY ENJOYED the moment, infectiously rooting for my partners team, the so admirable Buffs, screaming like a maniac at the pac 12 refs while he sat there silent and unmoving, I jumping up and down, chomping endless frozen fruit bars, my new substitute for alcohol, The fabulous wide receiver Chenault, the steady Steve Montez, the really terrific running back, an O with A freaking, actual PLAN, an unpredictable O, that let super WR Chenault take a shocking HANDOFF from Montez on one play and run for a score...Damn, it woke up some memories."
https://247sports.com/college/usc/B...un-That-Tunnel-Vision-was-freaking-123061702/

The Buffs are making an impression on some folks outside of Colorado.
“Knuckle knock?” Is that what they’re calling it these days?

This game, and even more so the UW game, will test the maturity of Montez. Both defenses will scheme to take the air out of the Montez/Shenault connection. Forcing the ball into windows that aren’t there will be a very bad idea.

It will also give us a gauge on Chiaverini’s ability to disguise and create opportunities, like using the TE in the seam, to keep them guessing. Being predictable in both the next two games will tilt the scales against the Buffs.

This game, and even more so the UW game, will test the maturity of Montez. Both defenses will scheme to take the air out of the Montez/Shenault connection. Forcing the ball into windows that aren’t there will be a very bad idea.

It will also give us a gauge on Chiaverini’s ability to disguise and create opportunities, like using the TE in the seam, to keep them guessing. Being predictable in both the next two games will tilt the scales against the Buffs.

I have a sneaky feeling we have been saving a creative Chris Bounds tight end play for this game!!! Watching USC shows me undisciplined corners and safeties who use athletic ability over sound decisions. Hoping to see great ball fakes and creative play calls.

Wigley was never scorched vs ASU, which is why the coaches were slow to adjust. He had a very tough assignment and was in position to make a play each time, but didn't.

Wigley was never scorched vs ASU, which is why the coaches were slow to adjust. He had a very tough assignment and was in position to make a play each time, but didn't.
Being close to the receiver or even in good position is 50% of the job and doesn’t matter in the slightest if a play isn’t made and the receiver makes the catch.

Being close to the receiver or even in good position is 50% of the job and doesn’t matter in the slightest if a play isn’t made and the receiver makes the catch.
Yup. I wasn't trying to imply otherwise. But easier to quickly make a substitute move when the guy isn't in position. That's why(in my opinion) they stuck with him so long. He was right there .

Uhhh, no. Had Fisher not been close enough to tackle that guy Saturday, ASU ties the score. Say what you want about Wigley, Harry didn't have a TD.

CU needs to be much better on defense. We can’t be giving up 50 plus yard pass plays.

"Colorado leads the Pac-12 South standings at 5-0, but has not played a ranked opponent so far. Regardless, USC will have the challenge of containing sophomore wide receiver Laviska Shenault Jr., who already has over 700 yards and 10 touchdowns in five games. USC will have to defeat Colorado to keep its hopes of making a third consecutive Pac-12 Championship appearance."
http://dailytrojan.com/2018/10/10/football-looks-ahead-to-hosting-colorado/
Hopefully CU can prevent that somehow.

"Colorado leads the Pac-12 South standings at 5-0, but has not played a ranked opponent so far. Regardless, USC will have the challenge of containing sophomore wide receiver Laviska Shenault Jr., who already has over 700 yards and 10 touchdowns in five games. USC will have to defeat Colorado to keep its hopes of making a third consecutive Pac-12 Championship appearance."
Maybe a UBL here, but does winning this game impact USC's chances of making the 2019 P12 championship game? because I seem to remember a different team representing the South in 2016.

This game simultaneously excites me and scares the **** out of me. One thing that's for sure-this game will likely come down to the wire. With the exception of Arizona, in USC's wins they have scored more in the second half than the first. CU has likewise been very good after the half. I don't think either team will quit down the stretch; it's very important that CU play 4 complete quarters.

I think Chev has showed more creativity in 5 games than Lindgren did in 5 seasons. There was the jet sweep reverse flea flicker in the last game (I have never seen that before; it was a slow developing play that has a very high risk of being blown up in the backfield but it worked beautifully), the fake-dive QB sweeps in the UCLA game, and the "Buffalo" formation near the goalline. More importantly, this stuff has worked- we saw a lot of gimicks in the Hawk/Embree era, but it was clear that the team had not been prepped to execute.

And we won’t be playing a ranked opponent this week either cause the Trojans suck

Uhhh, no. Had Fisher not been close enough to tackle that guy Saturday, ASU ties the score. Say what you want about Wigley, Harry didn't have a TD.
Huh? Yes, Fisher was extremely fortunate that Mustafa and Abrams bailed him out after getting torched in coverage. What does that have to do with Wigley being abused by Harry (and Darby) until the coaches wised up and removed him from the game? Harry had 3 receptions that all came against Wigley and drew a PI call on 3rd and long that extended their second drive that eventually led to a TD. How many times have we talked about DBs being in position but not turning their heads and making a play?

Maybe a UBL here, but does winning this game impact USC's chances of making the 2019 P12 championship game? because I seem to remember a different team representing the South in 2016.

This game simultaneously excites me and scares the **** out of me. One thing that's for sure-this game will likely come down to the wire. With the exception of Arizona, in USC's wins they have scored more in the second half than the first. CU has likewise been very good after the half. I don't think either team will quit down the stretch; it's very important that CU play 4 complete quarters.

I think Chev has showed more creativity in 5 games than Lindgren did in 5 seasons. There was the jet sweep reverse flea flicker in the last game (I have never seen that before; it was a slow developing play that has a very high risk of being blown up in the backfield but it worked beautifully), the fake-dive QB sweeps in the UCLA game, and the "Buffalo" formation near the goalline. More importantly, this stuff has worked- we saw a lot of gimicks in the Hawk/Embree era, but it was clear that the team had not been prepped to execute.
Really my point was that no matter what happens in this game, the Trojans will definitely NOT be playing for their THIRD consecutive Pac-12 championship this year.

In my mind, this is the defacto division title game. If Buffs want to win this division, with a road game at UW next week, they need to win this game.
It sets the Buffs up very nicely if they win- essentially puts them 3 games up on USC with 6 P12 games to go for CU and 5 for USC. Conversely, if CU loses USC essentially has the lead in the division and won't play a single ranked team in the P12 the rest of the way.

The bye week the condoms had this past week scares me more then the team. No bye week and I think the Buffs win for sure. I did hear they only practiced 2 days a week the past 2 weeks, so not sure who that benefits?? The momentum the Buffs are riding will hopefully overcome?
The only game I have seen the rubbers play was vs. Texas and a lot has changed since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back