What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Utah Football Gives Every Scholly Player a Truck

Read that it's a 6 month lease. Lease is, at most, costing about $1,500/mo, then add on insurance and what not, and I'd say it's a value of maybe $2,000/mo.

2000 x 85 scholarship players = $170,000 shelled out from the collective.

It's cool for the players to get a new truck for the Fall/Winter, but the publicity is better than the actual value

Edit: Math was wrong. $2k/mo x 6 months = $12k total per player x 85 = $1.02m total from the collective. Not entirely insignificant, but not major.

Last edited:
Sure, it's a dodge, but damn.

"Dodge Ram Trucks"

Action Man Sport GIF by UFC

Ron Swanson Smile GIF

Hope they built in a budget for all the repairs that are going to needed.

tehy're basicvally getting use of a vehicle while on campus. Been happening forever but now schools don't have to hide it
Yep, go to SEC country and you will see a disproportionately large number of Dodge Chargers in the football practice facility parking lots.

Collective paying the lease payments. I wonder if they are paying to insure each truck as well because full coverage on an 18-21 year old for a $60k car is crazy expensive.

Wait until a few get wrecked.
If they have them on a corporate insurance policy, it’s not so bad (as long as the driver’s history is clean enough). Plus, it’s all an advertising write off.

If they have them on a corporate insurance policy, it’s not so bad (as long as the driver’s history is clean enough). Plus, it’s all an advertising write off.
IMO still seems like a crazy amount of liability to the collective insuring 85 under 24 year old kids. Hope the have a big umbrella policy for when a kid with no money/assets wrecks into some family driving the minivan full of kids because the collective is gonna get sued.

Yep, go to SEC country and you will see a disproportionately large number of Dodge Chargers in the football practice facility parking lots.
yep, including at CU back in the day... fancy cars have always been a perk. Now it is just in the light.

I say we should one-up these poors and set up an interesting vehicle for each of our players! Bentleys for the elite! Porsches for the dawgs. Everyone should get at least a Land Rover.

Guess Georgia's collective wouldn't want to do that for their players given all those speeding charges & wrecks that cost a life or two.

Hopefully someone is helping the players understand the tax impacts. Each of them will owe US and state income tax and self-employment (15.3%) taxes on the value of the lease or other payments made on their behalf.

Are all the players in commercials for the dealership or on a calendar?

GIVING everyone a truck without reciprocal NIL Value of the player's faces.

Everyone used to do this in the shadows, but when you talk about collective, it needs to have the full runout of transactions for the players to do something.

I wonder how the walk ons feel about this.

And after more thought I would be kinda pissed if I was a player. Instead of getting money my money is going to Larry who owns a dodge dealership. What if I already have a car? Do I have to get a parking permit now? How bout when it costs $180 to fill up.

Also I worked with a Mormon guy who needed two minivans to transport his 12 kids. He drove one and his wife or eldest kids drove the other.

IMO still seems like a crazy amount of liability to the collective insuring 85 under 24 year old kids. Hope the have a big umbrella policy for when a kid with no money/assets wrecks into some family driving the minivan full of kids because the collective is gonna get sued.
It’s probably an umbrella policy attached to a business that has a lot of vehicles in their fleet…

Are all the players in commercials for the dealership or on a calendar?

GIVING everyone a truck without reciprocal NIL Value of the player's faces.

Everyone used to do this in the shadows, but when you talk about collective, it needs to have the full runout of transactions for the players to do something.
Doesn’t have to be their face. Could also be their name.

I wonder how the walk ons feel about this.

And after more thought I would be kinda pissed if I was a player. Instead of getting money my money is going to Larry who owns a dodge dealership. What if I already have a car? Do I have to get a parking permit now? How bout when it costs $180 to fill up.

Also I worked with a Mormon guy who needed two minivans to transport his 12 kids. He drove one and his wife or eldest kids drove the other.
I grew up in southern Utah in the 90's. Utah was the land of those damn blue Plymouth Voyager Vans. I would see those babies loaded down with kids all the time.

Hopefully someone is helping the players understand the tax impacts. Each of them will owe US and state income tax and self-employment (15.3%) taxes on the value of the lease or other payments made on their behalf.
This hits on something that I have been wondering about for a while.

You take a bunch of kids, most of whom have never had a lot of money in their lives and start handing them significant amounts of money in NIL.

It happened in the past but was always under the table so hard to trace, now on at least one end it is being accounted for. How long until the IRS starts looking at 21 year old players who got six figures in NIL and didn't declare the money and pay taxes on it?

Some of these guys could spent 3-5 years at a school, getting and spending a bunch of money. Then they get out, don't make the NFL, and go to work at a "real" entry level job and have the IRS (or even a state Dept. of Revenue) breathing down their necks asking about the taxes they didn't pay.

This hits on something that I have been wondering about for a while.

You take a bunch of kids, most of whom have never had a lot of money in their lives and start handing them significant amounts of money in NIL.

It happened in the past but was always under the table so hard to trace, now on at least one end it is being accounted for. How long until the IRS starts looking at 21 year old players who got six figures in NIL and didn't declare the money and pay taxes on it?

Some of these guys could spent 3-5 years at a school, getting and spending a bunch of money. Then they get out, don't make the NFL, and go to work at a "real" entry level job and have the IRS (or even a state Dept. of Revenue) breathing down their necks asking about the taxes they didn't pay.
They should be issued 1099s for self-employment income which will make it easy for the IRS to track.

They should be issued 1099s for self-employment income which will make it easy for the IRS to track.
Should be, but will the schools tell them what to do with the 1099s and will they listen or will they stuff them in a drawer.

And typical for young people how many will spend the money as fast as it comes in (and keeping those RAM trucks in gas won't be cheap) then the following spring be looking at a large tax obligation with no money to pay it?

Handled right it shouldn't be a problem. I just have a lot of doubts that a high percentage of these guys will end up handling it right.

The ideal situation would be to have a office in the Athletic Department (great work opportunity of accounting majors) that sits down with each athlete as the year progresses, does tax planning, sets money aside to cover the projected tax obligation or makes the quarterly payments if required, and potentially even helps the athletes to start setting aside savings and investments, a huge advantage for them since they don't have school expenses to cover.

Somehow though I'm doubtful that this is happening across the board so the potential for some serious financial consequences is significant.

Coach Prime's sons have a huge advantage because Dad has been in high income brackets with a wide variety of income sources for years. He and his people can guide them. How many kids at how many schools don't have that.

Smart, only way to carry around their fatass girlfriends is in a half ton rated truck bed.

Back