1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volleyball Selection Show

Discussion in 'University of Colorado News and Olympic Sports' started by cmgoods, Nov 26, 2013.

1. cmgoods

cmgoods Olympic Sports Mod Club Member

[tweet]405448848790679554[/tweet]

2. cmgoods

cmgoods Olympic Sports Mod Club Member

on ESPNU

3. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

does CU have any chance?

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

We're tied with Utah for 7th in the conference at 8-10.

We absolutely must beat them. Conference should get 6 in. I don't see how it doesn't. 7 would actually be fair, but Utah's got a better resume than us right now. Even ASU, one game behind us at 7-11, has a pretty good argument.

Big problem is that we're 16-12. That's only the 10th best overall record in the conference and it's not like we played a juggernaut non-conference schedule.

In short:

Beat Utah tonight and we've got a good argument, but are at the mercy of how much the selection committee wants to weight the RPI strength of the Pac-12 (or how much they want to spread out the bids). Probably a strong case even if we lose at USC to finish.

Follow up by beating USC at their place on Friday and I'd vehemently argue that we deserve to be in the Dance.

Lose to Utah and I'd say it would be a total gift (and probably an injustice) if CU made the Dance no matter what happens Friday.

Last - our current RPI is 54. That's not good enough for an at-large bid. But Utah is #26 and USC is #6, so there's an opportunity to make a big move in these last 2 games. http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-women/d1

5. BeBe

BeBe Club Member Club Member

I'm of the opinion we blew our chance when we lost to Oregon last weekend... that we needed wins over OSU (check), UO (nope), and Utah (still to come) to make it in. Now to have a shot we need to beat the Utes in the CEC (doable) and USC at the Galen Center (which would be a real surprise). Of course I'd say "thank you" if the committee was giving out gifts and CU gets in without that. Usually it has been "RPI rules" and ours is too far down at this point.