What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Washington Game --- Official Thread (8pm FS1)

Also, don't we need to beat UNC this week first?
And I'll cut the next MF that tells me we're gonna roll.

I love night games in September and the first half of October. I would have enjoyed myself better if last Saturday's Texas St game had been at 6 or 7 p.m. and we wouldn't have melted in the 93 degree sun. Night games in November suck.

I voted 3-5pm for both watching and attending.

Biggest factor not considered is weather. I don't want to be at a day game in AZ before October. I don't want to be at a night game at most Pac-12 home sites after October.

night games all the way for me.

allows me to plan an outdoor activity during the day and even take a nap if necessary (at my age, this is a real issue). I would expect this to be a highly compelling "pro" for most outdoor-loving Coloradans. if a game is at 12PM or even 2PM, chances are the game and associated activities makeup my entire day.

facilitates a better (drunker) atmosphere at the game.

facilitates a better atmosphere at tailgates, never mind the additional hours of tailgate allowable time.

allows the chance to watch any other important-to-me games during the day so the outcome isn't ruined when they put the score on the board.

no sun in the eyes, no hassle with sunscreen, no worry about sunglasses --> less stuff to carry into the stadium in my tiny clear bag

allows me to get my peak drunkenness sync'd to kickoff without concern over a post-game hangover through which I would otherwise be expected to function (i.e. if I'm drunk AF walking into a 3PM game, I'm not going to be very productive at anything during the evening hours after the game no matter how much the wife wants my help with dinner or expects me to finish some task)

other than parents with small kids who, (1) realistically should expect some night games and (2) should understand that giving up fun adult stuff is part of the price one pays for being a parent, I genuinely don't understand the negatives:
- cold weather can be mitigated with appropriate gear (hot weather is harder to mitigate, but holding ice cubes in both arm pits until they melt is amazingly effective). I suspect most Coloradans own gear which would allow them to comfortably withstand any game we've hosted in the last several years.
- I would argue that 8PM MT is a very favorable time for a Pac team to be on national TV (prime time, biggest game on during that slot, not competing with East coast teams for viewers)

We just needed a blackout. Simple & we do that well. Gimmicky crap doesn't work with the Buff crowd.

This as good a place as any to drop this given the kickoff time. Wilner is doing a poll on preferred start times. The initial results surprised me a bit, but I guess only 5% are voting to like attending games with a kickoff 7pm PT or later (hat tip to @rward )
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/12/fan-poll-if-you-could-pick-the-pac-12-kickoff-times/

What are your preferred kickoff times for Pac 12 games (in Pacific Time). You can vote more than once:

View attachment 23556

What bothers me about the late kicks as much as losing out on prime spots like the 6pm MT ish windows to the Big 10 and ACC. As a league, we've lost out on individual accolades and we may lose a CFP invite over them.

For what it's worth, 10pm on the east coast is "prime time" for TV. This is came from some CBS TV guys while I was at the final four when I was complaining about the tip off time, and they said 9-11 pm on the east coast was the sweet spot. Bunch of night owls there I guess.
This is somewhat true. Many businesses there open later than in our time zone, they sort of adapt to western time and we sort of adapt to eastern time.

Making a big assumption that thousands in attendance own silver (gray) tops too. Not a lot of silver Buffs gear out there.
Last week was straight up "wear silver". To your point, I didn't feel like it went that well.

Making a big assumption that thousands in attendance own silver (gray) tops too. Not a lot of silver Buffs gear out there.

2FABA0FC00000578-3377831-image-a-14_1451409762473.jpg

If they get the word out to enough people, it will work. They have been selling more and more gray stuff the past two years. They tried this in 2015 against Oregon and I think it would have worked if there hadn't been a damn monsoon that evening. By the time the game actually started, a lot of people had gone home, and the ones that stayed were in various colored rain jackets.

I will agree to disagree with all who don't like the striped look. I think it looks great, especially on TV. Some examples:

BoiseStateStadium.jpg

college-oklahoma-sooners-framed-picture-CD40F.jpg

ksu5f_2.jpg

Also, those three schools offer practically a high-school level education compared to CU. If they can get it right, we can.

Back