What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Washington Game --- Official Thread (8pm FS1)

Students didn't pick the color themes this year, athletics did. Students picked the color themes last year (except the stripe out) and they all looked good.

My input.
1. Stripes is going to look like **** cause nobody has gray. Students who pick this **** need to figure that out. You got black out or white out. That is it.
2. I am pissed cause I was supposed to be having drinks with a 10 for her b-day god dammit.
3. A 8pm kickoff guarantee's it wont be a packed house. Where I have my seats in 109 I am surrounded by people who either wont show cause it is to late because they are families or they will leave by the 1st Q cause they will be way too wasted. I won't get home till 2am and again dammit should be drinking with this dime's bday instead.
4. We will be down by 40 by half the way we have been playing so this is all stupid AF.

Montez was instructed to throw that pass, look at Bobo's hands he was ready to receive the ball.

I think you are going a little over the top with your excuse making for Montez. He misread the defense - that pick 6 is on him. Montez himself said it was an extremely bad decision because he did not recognize the zone coverage with the nickel back. He will (hopefully) learn to recognize that in the future. I have no idea why you think Bobo's hands have anything to do with the coverage.

I think you are going a little over the top with your excuse making for Montez. He misread the defense - that pick 6 is on him. Montez himself said it was an extremely bad decision because he did not recognize the zone coverage with the nickel back. He will (hopefully) learn to recognize that in the future. I have no idea why you think Bobo's hands have anything to do with the coverage.
Maybe so..it was a timing pattern and Bobo was waiting for the ball...just what I see on the replay. If I was really trying to make excuses for the young guy I'd say he was towing the line as to not piss off his coaches...but I didn't.

Maybe so..it was a timing pattern and Bobo was waiting for the ball...just what I see on the replay. If I was really trying to make excuses for the young guy I'd say he was towing the line as to not piss off his coaches...but I didn't.
So a WR shouldn't have his hands up about to receive a pass?

Just watched the P12N 60min relay, play selection by the editors was limited but here are my scoring drive observations on the clips through B&G lenses. Individual mistakes put UW into favorable scoring positions then the fatigue of playing versus a physical team took it's toll and the floodgates opened. Alos, UW's center is the control point for their whole run attack, he is ridiculously quick post snap. Numerous time he had initiated contact with the on the defensive linemen before his guard or lineman had come out of their stance.

CU - WU
7-0: Awesome dive what I had expected the CU offence would look like and not what we saw versus CSU, TxS and UNC
7-7: Combo of personal errors - the Montez short slide on 3rd down --> awful snap and poor punt protection --> short field defense had no chance
7-10: Montez has a poor throw -->Lindsay fails to catch a catchable pass --> deflection for an interception
*The interception in the endzone was near the end of the half was iffy; I thought maybe the ball touched the ground early in the slide before the the DB tried to reestablish his grasp.
HALF
7-17: Drive extending Facemask on 3rd down by Lewis, however unfortunate the TD reception amidst double coverage was really good so that sucks
10-17: Hell of a kick by Stefanou
10-24: Pick 6 awful throw by Montez (GAME OVER)
10-31: The UW OL/RB > CU Defense
10-37: Gaskins is good; UW's kicker sucks

Last edited:
Dropping a pass is a far cry from constantly making mental mistakes. There's also different ways to get through to different kids. Some kids just tune out the yelling, while others get scared and it puts more pressure on them and makes the problem snow ball. Other kids find it motivating and use it to correct mistakes.

In Montez' case, his arrogance so far this year has been well documented, both here and the media, as well as by his own Head Coach. If you haven't noticed, Mac doesn't stand for player arrogance, especially when he's not backing it up. Montez threw 3 INTs, slid short of a first down (which led to a blocked punt and a TD), missed open receivers and made a number of other mental mistakes. If Mac undressing him on the sideline is what's needed to humble him and get him refocused, then so be it.
Mac was just doing what some of Montez' teammates wanted to do. Much better for the boss to do it than the coworkers.

Which speaks to my point(s), no doubt he got an earful during the Oregon game for not sliding then in the Spring & Fall and so he did what he was instructed to do...slide. And so he does and misses because he went away from his normal mindset. I'm starting to feel sorry for the young man I really am, trying to blend instruction and natural skills & not fail my coaches/teammates.
They worked on sliding on Tuesday of UDub week according to MM.

He needs to keep working on that, as self-preservation needs to be a focal point, but there is also a time and place where a QB, especially one of his size, needs to lower his shoulder and get the first down. Montez has all the physical tools, but is severely lacking in general field awareness.

Only difference being a read option run is less likely to have a slide at the end vs a I'm running for my life scramble from a make believe pocket. ie if you look at every read option run Montez made he didn't slide and picked up good yards which begs the question why didn't we see a few more of those called?

Right now you have an inexperienced quarterback not only worrying about his reads but also trying to keep his coaches happy about staying in the pocket. He's spending too much time thinking instead of just playing. His athleticism is what makes him different. Instead of taking advantage of his assets, the coaches seem to be trying to force him into something he's not. So far, I see a qb that throws really well on the run and then is extremely mobile. Why not design a game plan that takes advantage of this? Time to step up Lindgren.

Right now you have an inexperienced quarterback not only worrying about his reads but also trying to keep his coaches happy about staying in the pocket. He's spending too much time thinking instead of just playing. His athleticism is what makes him different. Instead of taking advantage of his assets, the coaches seem to be trying to force him into something he's not. So far, I see a qb that throws really well on the run and then is extremely mobile. Why not design a game plan that takes advantage of this? Time to step up Lindgren.
Rolling out cuts the field in half. I hate it.

Rolling out cuts the field in half. I hate it.

Not when you throw like Montez. You could intentionally design routes to the opposite side of the field, ala John Elway. I have watched a bunch of goal line plays that roll out to the right or left. Get everyone flowing and then sneaks the TE out to the other side of the end zone and QB zips it over there.

I see both sides to that. I think they need to call/design plays that use his strengths. But making him more patient in the pocket is also the right thing for the coaches to do.

Not when you throw like Montez. You could intentionally design routes to the opposite side of the field, ala John Elway. I have watched a bunch of goal line plays that roll out to the right or left. Get everyone flowing and then sneaks the TE out to the other side of the end zone and QB zips it over there.

To do that you have to have a QB who is very confident in his reads. Coming back across the field on the roll means a long pass going into a lot of open space. Miss reading the coverage and you are looking a easy pick 6s.

Montez does have the are to make the throw. He has the athleticism to turn back against the roll and get himself set and he has the height to to see over the traffic between himself and the receiver. Just have to be very careful making that play though because the risk involved is huge.

Sometimes stuff like that happens in football games. It even happens in the NFL. The trick is to learn from it and play your ass off the next game. If they dwell on it, UW beats us twice.
Short memory is a good thing. I'm hoping they take every loss and are over it but, at the same time, know what they need to do to get past it.

Back