What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Washington State @ CU 11/19 @ 1:30 PM on Fox Official PREGAME Thread

I was accepted to both CU and WSU and was debating which school to go to because WSU gave me a **** ton of financial aid. In the end I chose CU, but WSU nearly tipped the scales in their favor because they sent me a coupon for a free ice cream cone from the creamery with my admission letter. My question is, how good is this ice cream? Is it good enough that it should've altered a major life decision?

That is pretty funny! No, never make a major life decision based on free hand outs. That said I do highly recommend the creamery when you good folks return to the Palouse. Just good stuff.

WSU has a very good football team.
It's easy to rip on them for losing to a MW and an FCS team, but-
Eastern Washington is 9-1, with their only loss in overtime to NDNU (Who beat Iowa, who did in fact beat Michigan). FCS is FCS, but I wouldn't want to play EWU.
Boise State is also 9-1, ranked #20 with two Pac-12 wins. WSU played them in Boise, a very hard place to win.
Washington State lost both those games by 3 points. 6 point total margin of defeat to two teams that are a combined 18-2.
This is going to be a very competitive game. I trust our DB's enough to think we pull out the win, but Jamal Morrow makes WSU more than just a passing team, and if we defend the run like we did in the second half in Tucson (and I understand the context there might make the team less hyped up), they can get yards on the ground.
Losing Cracraft is huge for WSU.

Looking at common opponents

CU:
@UofA W 49-24 (-25)
UCLA W 20-10 (-10)
@Stan W 10-5 (-5)
ASU W 40-16 (-24)
OSU W 47-6 (-41)
@UO W 41-38 (-3)

WSU:
UofA W 69-7 (-62)
@OSU W 35-31 (-4)
@ASU W 37-32 (-5)
UCLA W 27-21 (-6)
@Stan W 42-16 (-26)
UO W 51-33 (-18)

Both teams are obviously much much better at home. The biggest outlier to that trend is their win over Stanford 2 weeks before we played them. McCaf only had 8 carries and they were still missing their two best DB's. It is very interesting to me how similar these two teams appear to be.

Let's talk a little defensive game planning. I haven't watched much of WSU this season. I know Falk can sling it and isn't a threat to run. He doesn't hold onto the ball too long, either. I doubt we get to him with 4 rushers, even if my man Jimmie continues to light it up. So, what does Leavitt do? Rush 5 or 6 a lot of the time? Drop 8 into zone coverage? I know he'll mix it up, but there's a clue to the gameplan in a Mac quote in the Camera today:

We're just going to have to be able to play really well and play aggressive at times (on defense)

Look for Chido, Gilliam, Moeller, et. al. to get after the passer.

Mixing quick strike blitzes up the middle from Gillam and some from the outside from Chido should help keep Falk uncomfortable in the pocket. We will just need to rely on our DBs and LBs in coverage to limit the damage if they don't get to Falk in time.

If we can get Addison to lawn dart Falk into the turf like he did Manny Wilkens, Falk might actually snap in half.

Let's talk a little defensive game planning. I haven't watched much of WSU this season. I know Falk can sling it and isn't a threat to run. He doesn't hold onto the ball too long, either. I doubt we get to him with 4 rushers, even if my man Jimmie continues to light it up. So, what does Leavitt do? Rush 5 or 6 a lot of the time? Drop 8 into zone coverage? I know he'll mix it up, but there's a clue to the gameplan in a Mac quote in the Camera today:

Look for Chido, Gilliam, Moeller, et. al. to get after the passer.
Definitely need Leavitt to get creative. Going to have to find a way to get to the QB with 4 or 5, going to need everyone else in coverage.

Really want to see some hard, press coverage on the receivers to disrupt timing, make the quick passing game tougher and force Falk to hold the ball longer

If they play off 10 yds, he will carve us up. Need more pressure and awuzie and thompson to play at their best. Somebody other than jimmy needs to get in falks face.

If they play off 10 yds, he will carve us up. Need more pressure and awuzie and thompson to play at their best. Somebody other than jimmy needs to get in falks face.
I don't think they run between the tackles much, do you play Tupou less than usual?

I watched most of UA vs WSU the week before we played arizona, so I could send Leavitt my scouting report. I'll keep most of it secret after learning from Trump about how to handle isis. But I was amazed that arizona chose to rush only 3 (sometimes 2). Not like "hey we're trying to trick you after all those blitzes" or "it is 3rd and very long we'll play it safe", it seemed like almost every down. They got picked apart, just like you would guess. I'm sure we won't do this. I'd guess some delayed LB blitzes after their run responsibilities are met, because you have to respect that run game which was really a surprise for me. Problem is by then the ball will be out of their QBs hands.

Our DBs playing 10 yards off reminds me of the Sac State game under Embree.

I think our DBs are good enough to play tight and not get beat deep. With 5 DBs on the field in their base defense this week, I would love to see more of a man-free look with TT playing center field and that good press coverage underneath.

Just an FYI from up here in Cougarland...Robert Barber our leading NT was just granted a stay of his suspension by a Whitman County judge due to improper procedures by our Student Conduct Board. He will play on Saturday and will be a big (see 6'3, 305 lb) accountability for your OL.

Just an FYI from up here in Cougarland...Robert Barber our leading NT was just granted a stay of his suspension by a Whitman County judge due to improper procedures by our Student Conduct Board. He will play on Saturday and will be a big (see 6'3, 305 lb) accountability for your OL.
****ing lawyers!

Playing his first game of the year, at altitude, against an up-tempo top 30 offensive team in the country. Sounds like he's going to be more of a liability for your defense than anything.

Actually he's only been out 3 games... further, it's given some of our other D-linemen the chance to get some game reps. Our defense, and offense for that matter, rely heavily on subbing in and out to keep players fresh. Adding Barber back into the lineup is one more body for the rotation.

I hope he plays lots and lots of snaps, because after two or three at altitude the guy will be sucking wind. What will be e fun is watching him try to get on and off the field as CU runs their offense. One of three things happen with Mr. Barber this week:
1. Rides pine as he works himself into game shape.
2. Plays a lot and ends up vomiting on the field due to conditioning and altitude. His tiredness leaves gaping holes for CU to run through and limits WSU's pass rush.
3. Plays and is subbed for frequently. Guy is so tired he can't get on and off the field fast enough leading to multiple penalties against WSU.

I am hopeful that items 2 or 3 happen, but I am guessing it will be item 1.

Back