1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watched some of KU vs. KSU today

Discussion in 'University of Colorado News and Olympic Sports' started by Unleash Hell, May 17, 2009.

1. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Man it sucks not having baseball here anymore:sad2:

2. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

No it doesn't.

3. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i, for one, would love to have baseball back. i occasionally, casually watch a college ball game on channelsurfing.net on the weekends (kinda while i'm doing other stuff)....if there's a game between ranked teams in the SEC or Big XII. it's a good time.

4. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Baseball would be an atrociously expensive sport to have at CU. Issue #1 - facilities. We don't have any. Our baseball field has been converted to a soccer complex. We'd have to build from the ground up. Issue #2 - priorities. It's more important to bring the football and basketball facilities up to par with the rest of the Big 12 before we run around spending money on baseball teams that we don't have. Issue #3 - cost. It's high. 20 or so scholarships, plus coaches, uniforms, equipment, etc. Issue #4 - Title IX. We'd need to bring back women's softball at the same time, which would double the cost of everything. Issue #5 - potential revenue. Not much. You can't get enough people to pay enough money to see college baseball to make it economically feasible. This means that football and basketball have to carry a bigger load. Which brings us back to issue #2, Priorities.

I'm resigned to the fact that we won't see baseball at CU in my lifetime. The only way it could possibly happen is if a very wealthy benefactor came along and endowed the department with enough money to operate the programs.

5. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

I realize that, but it still sucks. I laughed when they were talking about the Big 12 teams and they kept saying Big 12, should have been saying Big 11.:lol:

6. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Technically, they could have called it the Big 10, as ISU doesn't have baseball, either. I think there's another conference out there that has dibs on that name, though. I could be mistaken.