1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Way too early discussion on 2013-2014 non-conference schedule

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by btbuff, Mar 17, 2013.

1. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

I immediately wondered about this... Plays a very big role in the tourney seeding.

From my guess
    • Away
      • CSU
      • Air Force
    • Home
      • Kansas
      • Wyoming
      • Fresno State
    • Tournament
      • ?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

no such thing. i banged the drum for years on this board about CU's OOC scheduling and then, whoa!, our SOS and rpi gets us out and then in the NCAA tournament......props to Mike Bohn and Tad on that....they GET it. finally. Ricardo and Tharp were too interested in cosmetic job saving wins. and i liked Ricardo at the end of the day. even though i have no idea what offense we ran for a decade.

3. BIGEZ321

BIGEZ321 Active Member

Agreed, props for scheduling. Patton ran 4 out 1 in isolation with motion off ball side. Same offense Calipari used to run at Memphis.

4. CU827

CU827 Well-Known Member

I watch a lot of memphis basketball and had student and then front row season tickets during the of the Patton era. If he was trying to run the dribble drive motion offense he was way off.

5. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

We'll probably have Air Force on the road as well.

I thought we were done with the Fresno home & home.

6. WizzersGhost

WizzersGhost Banned BANNED

Thought Fresno was a 2-fer-1 deal?

How about DU instead of Zoomies? Like the Lammies, the Blue Zoo loses almost all of their starters, while the Pios return all but one. And with them a #3 seed in the NIT and a good chance to repeat 20 wins, they're likely a more promising RPI.

7. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

We'll start seeing UNCO soon. Unless someone redshirted, next season will be the last season they have anyone Tad recruited still on the roster. That was the restriction Tad put on scheduling them.

8. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

Well we know we get Kansas. :)

9. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Two things are going to help us in scheduling in the future.

One is that as we become seen as a likely tourney team each year teams are less likely to avoid us on the road because our higher RPI means that losing to us doesn't hurt them much and a win over us can be seen as a significant line on a resume. In the past losing to us was an ugly loss and beating us didn't help much.

Secondly now that our fans are starting to come out and fill the keg the AD can justify spending some money on opponents. Add to that us being a better name to draw fans when we visit someplace and teams will be more willing to schedule home and homes or even give us 2 for 1's since the money becomes more convincing.

10. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Where was this motion you speak of? :lol:

11. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

12. Goose

I swore someone mentioned earlier this year that we had committed to a tourney in 2013 (I'm pretty sure we're back in Hawaii in 2014), but I can't remember which one.

EDIT - looking over CVille's link, if we're not in a tourney, it wouldn't surprise me if we end up in the pre-season NIT. That'd be huge. Remember, when we got snubbed two years ago, Bohn & Boyle did an absolutely amazing job doing everything they could to make us look good to the NIT group. The great Buffs showing for all the home games and in NYC will only help us there.

13. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Does anyone know how good Kansas is gonna be next year? Seems to me they will take a couple steps back (for Kansas at least). They start 4 SR's and McElmore who will probably go pro

14. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

Looking at that, seems that there are plenty of tournaments to join, figuring on the only ones we cannot join are ones that already have a Pac12 team in the field.

I still think a front range tournament would be awesome, just need to split CSU, AFA and Wyo into different conferences.

15. Goose

They're Kansas. They'll be good. Someone (Perry Ellis) will step up. They have four 4* players coming in as well, so a typical KU recruiting class.

Ellis could be a breakout star next year though. His ORtg is 114.8 this year and will only go up. He's looked more and more comfortable as the year has gone on.

16. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Ya I'm still kinda a big believer in senior leadership and experience. Hopefully next year is the year we take them out at the Keg

17. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

I don't think there's quite as many realistic spots as you think at first glance. Those "road spots" are reserved for the Gardner-Webbs of the world. Add in the Pac-12 teams filling many of them, and there's not a whole lot of options. Some space, but it'll be filling up quickly. Would LOVE the preseason NIT, great point on that, Goose.

18. pbbuff

pbbuff Club Member Club Member

We were at an event in Denver about month ago that Tad was at. He said they are in a tournament for 2013 but did not say which one. He also said it's the Diamond Head Classic in 2014.

19. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

The Cancun Classic sounds interesting. Short, direct flight from Denver.

20. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

I'm surprised that conference scheduling hasn't been discussed in this thread. I know we will play Utah twice since they are our designated rival. I'm thinking we do a round robin with the SoCal schools but I'm more concerned if we have the Arizona round robin...I'll be ticked if we only play UA and ASU once next season. Anyone know where to find out more on the Pac-12 scheduling formula for like an eight year cycle like in football?

21. Goose

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ucla/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/Pac-12BasketballSchedule.pdf

2013-14/2014-15 are Bay Area and Oregons.

Buffnik likes this.
  22. Buffnik

Of our 18, the only ones I'm sure of are 2 each against Utah, Washington, Washington State, UCLA and USC. That's 10, leaving 8 games against (UA & ASU), (Cal & Furd) and (UO & OSU). We'll only play home-and-home against 1 of those 3 groups.

Edit: Damn, Goose. Nice find.

23. Buffnik

Looking at what Goose found, it kind of pisses me off that in 2015-16 and 2016-17 we'll only play 1 each against the AZ and SoCal schools. We're all going to hate that.

24. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I'd love to play Zona home-and-home on a yearly basis, would like the P12 to move to the formula the ACC had with the "two protected rivals." It's only been a few years, but I consider them to be our main rival right now and think those games are a little bigger than your typical P12 game.

25. Buffnik

Pods for basketball. 6 games each against the 3 teams in your pod (4-Corner, Cali, Northwest). Then you'd play 12 games against the other 8 teams, comprised of 4 traveling partner groups. That works out to 2 against half of them and 1 against the other half, rotating every 2 years. I think the math works out.

26. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Yeah I realize that and my idea isn't so plausible. You do have that one week where you only have one game when your playing your natural rival.

27. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Good point, let's make zona our natural rival and make asu play Utah.

28. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Sucks a little but it's a fair system.

And think about it compared to when we used to make yearly trips to Stoolwater, Aimless, the rotten little apple, Misery and the garden spots of Tejas we have no room to complain.

29. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I wish, they have that other school in Tempe though.