What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB Assistant Coach Rumor

neither do i, just pointing out it doesn't matter which way swoopes swings when the head coach is already switch hitting.

Cool.
I just keep thinking: I sure hope these candidates don't find our little forum here and read too much into these comments.
I hope I speak for many when I say all we want are good coaches, winning teams, progress, hope for the future. I don't give a fig what someone's personal life is about.

Cool.
I just keep thinking: I sure hope these candidates don't find our little forum here and read too much into these comments.
I hope I speak for many when I say all we want are good coaches, winning teams, progress, hope for the future. I don't give a fig what someone's personal life is about.

First, I hope we hire her.

Second, I think being an openly gay woman will hurt us with some recruits (and probably more so with some recruits' parents).

Third, that's sad.

Fourth, I don't care about possible problems with certain recruits. If we can get her, let's do it.

Wow - Not holding my breath, but that could be a huge program building hire.

This would be big. No doubt about it.

As for the other stuff - who really cares? It's all about winning basketball games. Thier personal life is their personal life. What matters to me is whether they win basketball games and represent the University of Colorado in a positive light.

You think it was an issue with Ceal? She was out and had her partner behind the bench for much of her coaching career. Me thinks not.
Listen, I can't say anything bad about Ceal. I think she is a nice lady. But I at least have to point out that a lot of players were leaving the program at the end. Why? I don't know. But the program was headed down way before she left. I also know that KMM did not turn it around and I don't think she is gay. So, if Ceal is gay and the program was suffering and KMM is not gay and the program is suffering, maybe you could argue that the coaches orientation doesn't matter. It sure as hell doesn't matter what I think.

I'd say that, in this day and age, it probably doesn't matter. It may effect some recruits, but not most.

Last edited:
I really have a hard time believing this would be an issue for anybody. Much ado over nothing, if you ask me.

She might be gay but doesnt she have a kid? Think it would be a very good hire, dont really care about the other stuff.

While I think Swoopes would be a steal, especially for a women's program like CU's. But this brings up my question: Why CU? There are many many other women's programs that have more tradition, facilities, larger budget, fan support, etc.. that she could have pressed for. e.g. Is it because Boulder is a homosexual friendly town? Not trying to put a knock on Swoopes, just looking for the connection.

Perhaps because one of the Associate ADs is an open lesbian. Oh, and the most successful head coach in the history of CU WBB.

I really hope this happens, but I wonder about one thing. She came out as a lesbian some years back, and as a coach, she'd be in the locker rooms with the girls she recruits. I wonder how girls would feel about having a lesbian coach...

I personlly don't think it'd be a problem for her recruiting. I mean, if I were a HS bball stud right now, and MJ came out of the closet but was still recruiting me, I'd still be tempted to go play for him.

It'd be a good get from a recruiting perspective. I'm surprised she isn't coaching somewhere already.

If you honestly think lesbian coaches are unusual in the world of WBB, I think you'll find you are very, very mistaken.

My cousin played for a D-II program in the metro area about 20 years ago and had a lesbian coach. She said that it wasn't unusual even at that time. FWIW, she said it was an uncomfortable situation at times, but mostly because the coach was a total bitch who had a bad tendency for favortism among the players and also for unprofessional public displays of affection with her partner during team events...

While some recruits and their parents probably would have issues with the idea of a lesbian coach, they're going to find their options pretty limited. Not to mention the problems they'll probably encounter in dealing with some of their teammates. Personally, it's about the last issue I would allow to keep Swoopes off the CU staff...

At the event Friday evening at the Omni, Lappe said that she hoped to announce her other assistant coach soon, probably next week. And she said that Swopes was still in the mix.

If you honestly think lesbian coaches are unusual in the world of WBB, I think you'll find you are very, very mistaken.

There have been openly lesbian coaches both at CU and in basketball from way back. There have also been openly lesbian players at CU from way back--even during the Rene Portland years--she who wouldn't have a lesbian on her team. Well, she did at CU.

Many of Ceal's problems in her later years had more to do with people recruiting against her and using her sexuality. Supposedly Rick Lopez who coached the Colorado Hoopsters was doing this and sending his kids to Geno. Then it came out that Lopez was actually sexually assaulting his players http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/3669544/detail.html Before he came to trial, Lopez committed suicide in prison.

I am sure this has happened at other schools also.

It is alleged that KMM actually had a reputation for not tolerating lesbians on her teams.

Many of Ceal's problems in her later years had more to do with people recruiting against her and using her sexuality. Supposedly Rick Lopez who coached the Colorado Hoopsters was doing this and sending his kids to Geno. Then it came out that Lopez was actually sexually assaulting his players http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/3669544/detail.html Before he came to trial, Lopez committed suicide in prison.
I remember that.

It is alleged that KMM actually had a reputation for not tolerating lesbians on her teams.

WTF?

Really? If so, all the more reason for her to be fired. It's her job to win games, not pass judgement on players' lifestyles. Between this and Hawk's "doing things the right way", we'll be lucky to be relevant in any sport for the next 20 years.

Any word on this yet?

Nope. I did read a blog out of Lubbock that made it sound like Swoopes applied for the job and was among a few candidates being considered. But I've heard the truth is that the job is hers if we can get her to agree to it.

..... But I've heard the truth is that the job is hers if we can get her to agree to it.
I would be very surprised if that were NOT the case. Someone else woud have to be one heck of a terriffic coach and recruiter to bring more to the AC job than Swoopes would at this point.

Back