1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We got to see Tad's post-season rotation today

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Josh
    Wes
    King
    Fortune
    Dom
    Fletch
    Yaz
    + spot minutes from XT & Tory

In the 2nd half, XT didn't see the court and Tory only saw 3 minutes all game. We're a quarter of the way through the season now and I don't expect to see much change to this rotation.

Goose and Tractor like this.
  2. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

I suspect that keeping Tory out was a strategic move to keep the CSewe students from having one more thing to get excited about.
    Tory will get more minutes in post season than what we saw today.

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Tory will likely play more than that. Bad matchup for him today. Plus, Josh & Wes were not leaving that court.

4. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

100% this. This wasn't a good matchup for Tory. I think he's the 8th guy in the rotation most of the time - especially as we play some P12 teams with serious beef up front. We're going to need him.

Love that 8 man rotation. I'm a firm believer in that being the way to go every year. Going 10-12 deep - unless you're Kentucky - is like having numerous potential starting QB's. If you have 2 starting QB's, you have none. If you have a rotation that goes 10, you don't really have a rotation, you have a mess. XT will still get minutes and we're probably going to need him this year a few times. And Guzo will probably have a game where he comes in and plays 5-10, but from now on out, I want to see us sticking to the 8 man rotation unless we're playing the "lower quality" opponents (Nicholls, Hampton, etc.).

CVilleBuff and Zachsquatch like this.
  5. BuffNative

BuffNative Club Member Club Member

I think Fletcher is still right there with King and Fortune for that top 5 spot. He was plagued by foul trouble in this game, otherwise he would have had more minutes in the second half.

6. Goose

I'm in the minority, but I still like Fletch starting over King. This allows our offense to focus purely on Jelly, Fortune & Dom to start and then King comes in with Yaz & Tory to provide scoring for the second unit. King will still finish games, but it helps us avoid bench lulls.

buffaholic and Ruckus like this.
  7. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

interestingly Fortune/Fletch/King all have their highest scoring games off the bench.

8. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

It makes sense, they are all starting quality guards but one of them gets to go against backups for their first time in the game.

9. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Agree on that 8 man rotation. Dom played the best in the 2nd half that I've seen yet btw. He played with confidence.
    Also saw Fortune/Fletch/King on the floor at the same time a time or two. That gives Gordon or Scott a rest and creates some matchup issues for team given their length/athleticism/range. CSU probably was happy to see that as they had their hands full with the twin towers. But I think it's something we will see more of from here out.

Zachsquatch likes this.
  10. Goose

But.... I was told that the only way to play well is to start...

11. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Duh. Tad is completely out of touch with reality if he thinks this rotation is going to work. Obviously.

12. Zachsquatch

Zachsquatch Active Member

Agree with most of what is being said here, especially in regards to the 8 man rotation. You can see the benefit of our offseason cardio, as these dudes do not get tired like our opponents have.

In regards to the starting rotation though, I'm torn. My favorite season with Ski was when he came off the bench, because he really owned the "6th man" role. I definitely want Fortune starting, and am partial to Fletch because of his consistency, but King has the potential to pop and you want him in there. If Tad can have Fletch OWN the 6th man role, ala Iguodala on the dubs, that's my preferred route once conference play starts.

Lastly, I LOVE having all three of the wings out there at the same time, especially if we see full court press. Most teams don't have two guys like Josh and Wes who are so skilled, so I have no doubts that King or Fletch, plus team help, can guard anyone's 4.

13. scoob

scoob Club Member Club Member

Did the team do the SEAL thing again this year? I don't remember hearing anything about it.

14. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

I see it both ways for the reason you loved Ski that year, he'd come in, gun, give you instant energy, and shake up the offense I really like King rolling in off the bench - I just wish he'd up his defensive effort a little.

15. Clean Undies

Ditto - heard nothing of the sort.
    News of preseason training gimmicks was pretty muted.

Maybe the SEAL training was an attempt to address Skia and XJ's leadership vacuum?

16. sockdolager

sockdolager Club Member Club Member

I think they spent the seal training time shooting free throws instead. Much improved

17. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I'm sad. Sad for Stalzer. :(

18. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

I'm sad he's on scholarship. He's getting a free ride. Don't be sad for him.

CVilleBuff likes this.
  19. Big Jim

Big Jim WTF? Club Member

Maybe Miller just doesn't like the taste of goat.

20. Clean Undies

Don't cry for Eli, Argentina!

21. 89BUFF89

89BUFF89 Well-Known Member

Miller will play limited minutes unless his defense improves.