What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We need CSU to step up.

You guys trash CSU when it doesn't invest in facilities and then trash it when it makes a significant investment. The practice facility was a nice start and desperately needed. However, when your television contract pays you somewhere in the range of $1.5 Million a year, what can you expect?

I don't trash CSU. I'm honest about them. They are at the bottom rung of the MWC and extremely close to not being able to continue having a D1-A football program. If I take off my bias from living in Colorado, I can't help but come to the conclusion that CSU is poorly run, poorly supported, and poorly positioned to improve its situation.

Let's not pretend that they "bring" the Denver market when CU couldn't even get all it's football and MBB games broadcast locally as part of a Big 12 that was stronger then than it is now.

If CSU were to get a BCS conference invite, I think Moby Arena's time would be limited. However, you wouldn't see significant change on that front for nearly a decade if I had to guess.

Perhaps if CSU showed the Big 12 that they had serious plans for that, it's still doable.

I think having the stadium on campus would be a huge help for CSU...it doesn't have to be in the 60k range...45 to 50k would get it done for a BCS invite. Do they still have serious traffic problems in Ft. Collins on gamedays especially when the train rolls into town?

Count me as one of those CU fans that wouldn't mind CSU getting BCS status so we could really elevate the instate rivalry. Of many places that I went to, they have such rivalries and to me, this state is missing something. Plus CSU would mesh in nicely with KSU, ISU, MU, and OSU. Perhaps there's a reason why KSU and ISU have been mentioned as MWC additions if the Big 12 implodes and KU goes to the Pac-12 with OU, OSU, and TT.

I don't trash CSU. I'm honest about them. They are at the bottom rung of the MWC and extremely close to not being able to continue having a D1-A football program. If I take off my bias from living in Colorado, I can't help but come to the conclusion that CSU is poorly run, poorly supported, and poorly positioned to improve its situation.

Let's not pretend that they "bring" the Denver market when CU couldn't even get all it's football and MBB games broadcast locally as part of a Big 12 that was stronger then than it is now.

With the new Big 12 TV contract, every football and basketball game would be on TV just like the Pac-12 so TV won't be a problem in this case.

CSU needs the on campus stadium, a new on campus arena, and work on traffic in Ft. Collins to make CSU a BCS conference member. Can they get it done? I don't know.

We can handle CSU. They wouldn't know how to handle success if they found it. CSU isn't going to kill any conferences. This is one of those few instances where CSU could do both us and them a big, big favor.

**** csu. Hope they land in the big sky conference.

I will never understand the CSU hate. They're a state school, just like CU. CSU grads contribute to the economic well being of the state, just like CU grads. CSU is an important part of the State of Colorado. Their fanbase is largely composed of half wits and wanna-be's. People who wouldn't know a big time program if it hit them in the face. I know this because a big time program does hit them in the face - every year.

I am sad that CSU seemingly has no idea how to improve it's lot in life. No vision. No ambition. No drive. It could be good. I seriously doubt it ever will be.

Why you hatin' on Big Sky like that? What they ever do to you to have you wish the athletic equivalent of foot and mouth disease on them?

Last edited:
Comparing CSU to Utah is laughable. CSU has never had the support that Utah had before they expanded their athletic programs funding. Utah is in the SLC area, a fast growing city without a pro football team. The only real competition they have is BYU and they use that to their advantage by being the anti-BYU. Utah has a much larger alumni base in the SLC area than CSU has in the Ft. Collins or Denver area, and the Denver alums have to drive over an hour just to get to CSU. Utah also has a long history with periods of success in football, CSU not quite, instead one of the losingest programs of all time.

It all doesn't matter though because the whole premise is based on CSU stepping up to become a big time player and that just isn't going to happen. The state is not going to fund 100 million dollars or 50 million dollars for an on campus stadium and certainly not for a 45,000 seat stadium when they don't come close to selling the seats they have.

The leadership of the university isn't going to put their necks on the line for a dream of going big time when the university already subsidizes the athletic program to the tune of around $14 million a year. The fan base just isn't there to demand this if the resources were available, and they aren't.

CSU doesn't offer anything that an AQ conference wants, they don't deliver TV sets, nobody watches when they are on. They don't sell tickets home or on the road so ticket revenue isn't a draw. What they would be is a drag on conference revenues and an expensive trip for non-revenue sports.

With so many other better options the AQ conferences aren't going to be inviting CSU to the party, and there isn't anything they can do about it. Every positive or potential given for CSU can be topped by a number of other schools who would go before them even without the improvements mentioned in this thread.

Comparing CSU to Utah is laughable.

You're right, CSU is a much bigger school, with more alumni.

Utah enrollment - 22,661
CSU enrollment - 29,932

Ft. Collins/Loveland population - 210,845
SLC population - 186,440

Just for ****ts & giggles -

Larimer county population - 292,825
Boulder county population - 293,161

But yeah, comparing CSU's demographics to Utah or (gasp!) CU would be laughable.

In the end, CSU is doomed because their leadership simply isn't interested in fielding a first class athletic program. It's that simple. If it happens all on it's own, well, gee that's swell. They're not going out of their way to get there, though.

i think csu should, indeed, drop out of d-1 and compete against teams they are more likely to be competitive with, like unc and mines, for example.

I will never understand the CSU hate. They're a state school, just like CU. CSU grads contribute to the economic well being of the state, just like CU grads. CSU is an important part of the State of Colorado. Their fanbase is largely composed of half wits and wanna-be's. People who wouldn't know a big time program if it hit them in the face. I know this because a big time program does hit them in the face - every year.

I am sad that CSU seemingly has no idea how to improve it's lot in life. No vision. No ambition. No drive. It could be good. I seriously doubt it ever will be.

They trash cu at every turn. I'm glad they contribute to the state of Colorado.

Their fanbase goes to invesco and then vanish like a small turd down the john.

I might show a little more respect for CSU someday IF....

Their fans realize CU is not the only game on their schedule
Their fans start to talk more about CSU than CU
Their fans show a little more respect for CU's great football tradition and history
Their fans understand that they will always be second to CU
Their fans stop picking another team to cheer for that can actually beat CU *cough* Nebraska *cough*
Their fans can actually sell out their allotment of tickets to a stadium they beg to have a rivalry game played at
Their fans can actually get more than half of a 30,000 seat stadium filled for any opponent
Their fans realize that Ralphie would stampede that stupid goat into the ground

Theres many more, but if they can change their ways about the listed above, I could try and respect them a little more.

Utah enrollment - 22,661
CSU enrollment - 29,932

SLC population - 186,440

But yeah, comparing CSU's demographics to Utah or (gasp!) CU would be laughable.

Don't know where you got your numbers. US Census Bureau estimate for July 2009 puts the SLC SMSA at 1,130,293. The Salt Lake City- Ogden Clearfield CSA has an estimated population of 1,743,364. I would venture a guess just a tad bigger than than Larimer county. Utah along with BYU is also the dominant sports franchise in terms of media attention and TV ratings in it's region. It is the public flagship university in a state that lacks pro football and is geographically isolated from other football teams.

There is a reason that CSU has the lowest athletic budget and revenue in the MWC and Utah was at or near the top of the MWC before they left.

I don't wish negative on CSU, I just look at the realities. Looking at those realities tells me that CSU is an FCS program trying to hang on at the BCS level. To think that they have the wherewithall to move up to an AQ level conference is beyond a stretch.

I might show a little more respect for CSU someday IF....

Their fans realize CU is not the only game on their schedule
Their fans start to talk more about CSU than CU
Their fans show a little more respect for CU's great football tradition and history
Their fans understand that they will always be second to CU
Their fans stop picking another team to cheer for that can actually beat CU *cough* Nebraska *cough*
Their fans can actually sell out their allotment of tickets to a stadium they beg to have a rivalry game played at
Their fans can actually get more than half of a 30,000 seat stadium filled for any opponent
Their fans realize that Ralphie would stampede that stupid goat into the ground

Theres many more, but if they can change their ways about the listed above, I could try and respect them a little more.

So you don't like their fans. Fine. I'm not terribly enamored of them myself.

So you don't like their fans. Fine. I'm not terribly enamored of them myself.

Nope, I don't mind the school that much at all. As for teams, I hate Miami, Nebraska, Notre Dame and Ohio st.

As for fans, I hate CSU, Nebraska, Ohio state, Notre Dame, Texas fans. I would say Miami, but they only have 3 fans.

Don't know where you got your numbers. US Census Bureau estimate for July 2009 puts the SLC SMSA at 1,130,293. The Salt Lake City- Ogden Clearfield CSA has an estimated population of 1,743,364. I would venture a guess just a tad bigger than than Larimer county. Utah along with BYU is also the dominant sports franchise in terms of media attention and TV ratings in it's region. It is the public flagship university in a state that lacks pro football and is geographically isolated from other football teams.

There is a reason that CSU has the lowest athletic budget and revenue in the MWC and Utah was at or near the top of the MWC before they left.

I don't wish negative on CSU, I just look at the realities. Looking at those realities tells me that CSU is an FCS program trying to hang on at the BCS level. To think that they have the wherewithall to move up to an AQ level conference is beyond a stretch.

I left out the metropolitan area statistics, as there isn't really much of a "metro area" around Ft. Collins.

Where you and I disagree, I think, is that you don't think they could ever pull it off. I think they could if they do what they need to do. I wouldn't put much money on their willingness to do what it takes, though. They've repeatedly shown that they have no desire to play in the big leagues.

I left out the metropolitan area statistics, as there isn't really much of a "metro area" around Ft. Collins.

Where you and I disagree, I think, is that you don't think they could ever pull it off. I think they could if they do what they need to do. I wouldn't put much money on their willingness to do what it takes, though. They've repeatedly shown that they have no desire to play in the big leagues.

That unwillingness to play in the big leagues is why they are in the situation they are in now. It has been so firmly entrenched and the effects are so deep that I have no question it is to late to overcome it. They are like a three legged racehorse starting out 20 lengths behind.

If there were more time to do this and you thought that there was room for two BCS level programs in Colorado (other than the AFA which is more of a national school) I would propose that in time CSU Pueblo could actually end up being the stronger athletic program. They have a bigger immediate population without local competition. The community is strongly behind them. Not saying this is going to happen either but I have been a CSU fan (after the Buffs of course) for 35+ years. Nothing I have seen in that time despite all their best efforts and intentions shows me that the program will ever reach a big time level, in fact they just keep falling further behind.

Last edited:

Utah enrollment - 22,661
CSU enrollment - 29,932

SLC population - 186,440

the Salt Lake area is actually 1.2 million- 186,440 is the city only
I think 1.2 million VS 210,845 should be the better comparison

doh.... just saw the post above

FTW- csu has some of the dumbest football fans in all of college football

the only good thing csu produces are vets to take care our dogs & cats

Last edited:
the only good thing csu produces are vets to take care our dogs & cats

Or its a university that continues to expand its focus on research and development across the board:
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2011/08/11/csu-research-spending-tops-330m.html

"Thursday its annual spending on research grew 9 percent in fiscal year 2011, finishing at $330.8 million — up from $302.9 million in FY 2010. CSU’s fiscal year ends June 30. Its research spending topped $300 million for the fourth consecutive year."

But hey, why let a few facts get in the way of an ignorant and uninformed point of view.

th_brendanfraiserhahahaclap.gif
:yeahthat:

I think a lot of people are allowing their distaste for CSU fans cloud their judgement of the institution itself. It's not a bad school. In fact, it's pretty good. Colorado wouldn't be as strong as it is, economically, if not for the high level of higher education offered here. CSU is a solid school with a piss poor athletic department.

Or its a university that continues to expand its focus on research and development across the board:
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2011/08/11/csu-research-spending-tops-330m.html

"Thursday its annual spending on research grew 9 percent in fiscal year 2011, finishing at $330.8 million — up from $302.9 million in FY 2010. CSU’s fiscal year ends June 30. Its research spending topped $300 million for the fourth consecutive year."

But hey, why let a few facts get in the way of an ignorant and uninformed point of view.

lighten-up-anyone-touches-my-stuff-and-i-ll-kill-you-demotivational-poster-1253664846.jpg

Go cry at ramnation. You guys love giving ignorant views about CU every day. You trash CU and think CU should help you tools . Bohn needs to cut all ties with csu. Hate your fans and your holier than thou attitude.

I think a lot of people are allowing their distaste for CSU fans cloud their judgement of the institution itself. It's not a bad school. In fact, it's pretty good. Colorado wouldn't be as strong as it is, economically, if not for the high level of higher education offered here. CSU is a solid school with a piss poor athletic department.

No kidding. Hey, I'm no fan of theirs either but I'm able to step back and think of what CSU *COULD* be if it had better leadership. And it wouldn't take much to start turning things around. They have a huge advantage already -- being one of the two big state schools in a state. As you look across conference standings, you'll see a lot of "University of" and "______ State University" names out there, which is for a reason: that's where the state's populations focus on sending their kids to school and have the support of the state funding apparatus (no matter how small). So, just based off that, CSU has a shot.

It sounds like sacky and I are the visionaries on this board on this topic. If he and I ran the school we'd get it going in the right direction for sure.

I think you're being a little short sighted. As an example, I give you Utah. 20 years ago, Utah was in the exact same spot CSU is in today. They made a serious commitment to athletics, and got a little lucky with the Olympics building them some new facilities. Now they're in the Pac 12. As they stand today, CSU doesn't offer much to a BCS conference other than some alumni and the promise of a lot of TVs in the Denver market. If (and I agree it's a huge IF) they can make the same kind of commitment that Utah made 20 years ago, there is the potential for them to move up in the world. The problem is that I just don't get the impression that their leadership is willing to do what it takes.

Do you want to know what's the difference-maker between one school and another? Conference affiliation. They're pretty respected now and have great facilities, but for a long time Oklahoma State was a joke. In fact, other than its Big Eight history, it really had no business being in the Big 12. But they improved Gallagher-Iba Arena by doubling its seating and adding facilities inside the new walls. Then, Daddy BooneBucks started to make it rain in Stillwater and now its football team is consistently in the Top 20. I realize that situation of a major benefactor enters the scene and changes it all is rare and CSU likely doesn't have that option, but the point is this: if one backwater ag school can turn it around, so can CSU, a school in a much better state closer to a great metro area.

You all know my arguments at this point. CSU is in a perfect spot. An hour from a major metro area, large alumni base, desireable location. CSU has invested nearly $100 Million in campus upgrades with more to come. I think CSU realizes the clock is running. The most interesting comment from the attached article is that CSU is planning to increase enrollment significantly over the next few years. Rumors are CSU is targeting somewhere in the 35,000 range for on-campus enrollment. There are also preliminary discussions of a stadium expansion somewhere in the 45,000 capcacity range. However, with limited support from alumni and no large television payouts its difficult to make the needed investment. If the A&M is out of the Big12, CSU will be in the conversation as a potential replacement, but only if the league expands to 12 or more. I think the people making the decisions realize this could be CSU's one and only opportunity. Things will have to break the right way in terms of realignment, but I think there is an outside shot CSU becomes a part of the Big12 and would probably see and increase in revenue in the range of 5 times what the University is seeing now on an annual basis.

http://coloradoan.com/article/20110815/NEWS01/108150319/1002/CUSTOMERSERVICE02

I'm with you on all that, squared. If CSU could somehow come up with a "This is our Do Better Plan Vision 2025" or something and proved to the Big 12 it was willing to use that new BCS money to catch-up, the Big 12 would HAVE to consider them. Why? An absolute utter lack of other options geographically. Yeah, they're gonna try to poach Louisville or add BYU, but its best options to raise its numbers is adding Tier B schools athletically.

IMO, the first choice will be Houston. That is the third-biggest school in the state by enrollment and it's in the fifth-biggest city in the nation. Yes, they're a commuter school and have no fanbase, but that would change once folks saw that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and OSU would be coming to town. UH will allow the league to keep a presence in SE Texas and member schools will want this because it will help recruiting in Houston.

So, working under the assumption the 10th team will be Houston beginning next season or in 2013, I believe the conference KNOWS it needs to get back to a 12-team, two-division, title-game setup. If it's so bad (like some conference brass were saying after we and NU left) then why did the two stodgy conferences, the Pac-12 and Big Ten, add it? BECAUSE IT'S GOOD FOR THE LEAGUE. So they, I believe, will HAVE to add two more just to stay relevant. And I believe the two choices will come from the Mountain West and be a bit of a gamble, but could be very nice in the long run -- CSU and New Mexico.

Despite what today's insane college football world things, geography still matters in building conferences. And when you pull out a map of the Great Plains states, there aren't really many options. Can't be all Texas schools, as that has been tried before and didn't work (SWC). Other states don't have viable options (Tulsa? lol they only have 4,200 students!) and worthy choices (Iowa, Arkansas) are very happy in their current leagues. So the league has no choice but to take a flier on spots 11 and 12.

Looking ahead 25 years, I could totally see CSU doing well in the Big 12 (just go with me here). That league will need to add new media markets, and CSU can absolutely claim Denver because it's in the same state. That's really all they need to have. So what if Denver doesn't care for CSU or college football? It still counts in the TV deals. That's why my 12th school is UNM, because, while they don't really care about football on the college level, they are a quickly-growing area and have a media market that is not claimed by another big league. And in 25 years, I suspect Albuquerque to be a LOT bigger than it is. I remember when Unser Rd. on the west side of town was the absolute END of that city. Now, Unser is well-developed and it goes 4-5 miles past that. My point is to not arrest yourself with present realities, as that doesn't always mean similar future results. So both schools would have a shot at admission just because of the few extra TV sets they can claim -- which the Big 12 will need moving forward. Adding more than one new Texas team does nothing for the league. Adding Houston mitigates losing A&M, while UNM and CSU bring in new TVs (albeit CSU is claiming our old allotment, but it still counts). Believe me, they'll both have a shot. Especially UNM because of The Pit and the Lobos' GREAT hoops tradition. Kansas will especially like this, I believe.

So, if CSU gets it going now and pleads its case, the Big 12 really has NO choice but to listen. They aren't going to pluck a team already in a BCS conference and BYU is really too far away and doesn't play on Sundays. So I believe the Rams will have a chance because: 1. They'd effectively replace CU, which the league badly needs; 2. The Big 12 needs to get to 12 teams again; 3. CSU (and UNM) would be MUCH easier competition than CU and NU, which has to make OU and UT happy; 4. The league needs that title game back.

Look, I know CSU is a joke and we all like to make fun of them. But rivalry aside, CSU is a good school with Ag roots. It is an unassuming state school, which meshes with the likes of KSU, ISU and OSU. All three of those schools are unassuming, have an Ag past and are the only things going in their hometowns. I could absolutely see this happen.

For the Big 12, it's a "Chicken and Egg" deal. Yes, the Rams aren't BCS-worthy and would probably take 10 years to get to that point. But the point is I could see them getting there because of reasons listed above. And if the school was smart with the newfound money coming into the league, they could throw 85 percent of that into facilities upgrades and, in time, build up to an ISU level and at least stay on the field with the rest of the league. But until CSU gets that BCS-money, the Rams will probably always suck and be a mess. So it's a huge investment for the Big 12, but one I feel they have no choice but to make and one that, years down the line, will have proven to transform CSU to an ISU/KSU-level situation, which would be great for them, the state of Colorado in general and for the RMS, which could really become a really fun deal if CSU went to a BCS league, invested in itself and took advantage of the new reality.

Back