What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to some Hick Town in New Mexico

BuffBronco

New Mexico State men's basketball has canceled Saturday's game at Cal Baptist and suspended its season indefinitely following "new allegations" within the program, according to a statement from the school.

The new allegations surrounding the Aggies' program involve multiple players being allegedly investigated for their role in hazing attacks on a teammate on more than one occasion, Stadium reported, citing a police report accompanying the criminal complaint.

The school said in the statement that the new allegations have prompted an investigation by the university and led to the coaching staff being put on paid administrative leave.

Cool school logo though

New-Mexico-State-Aggies-Logo.jpg

Cool school logo though

New-Mexico-State-Aggies-Logo.jpg
New Mexico State has struggled for years trying to stay alive at the D1 level for both football and basketball. Their football team has been one of the worst in the nation for years (one or two decent seasons in more than 20 years.) Basketball the same.

They have been on the edge of downgrading the programs frequently.

The school is in Las Cruces which is a miserable city of a bit over 100,000 people in the middle of nowhere. Hard to draw fans.

They aren't Baylor but they can't exactly be picky about who they bring in to play for them. Not much that would happen there would surprise me.

NMSU hoops has been pretty damn good. But to accomplish that they take some "at risk" type guys.
They have done well for a non-power conference team but have been up and down and haven't drawn big crowds at home or made a lot on TV games.

They are 2-10 in conference this year (WAC.) I may have spoken too soon dismissing the Baylor connection. Last November one of their players was involved in the shooting of a player from the University of New Mexico.

Last March their starting point guard was arrested on a domestic violence charge

Most recent average attendance I could find was 2019 when they averaged about 5900, about half of what New Mexico averaged up the road in Albuquerque.

They have a lot of other problems as well overall. They are in the process of replacing the Chancellor who was told his services were no longer needed.

New Mexico State has struggled for years trying to stay alive at the D1 level for both football and basketball. Their football team has been one of the worst in the nation for years (one or two decent seasons in more than 20 years.) Basketball the same.

The school is in Las Cruces which is a miserable city of a bit over 100,000 people in the middle of nowhere. Hard to draw fans.

They aren't Baylor but they can't exactly be picky about who they bring in to play for them. Not much that would happen there would surprise me.

Their programs aren't as bad as you make them out to be. They've been independent in football for the past few years and are joing C-USA this year. They aren't afraid to go on the road and consistently play 1 or 2 major teams every year to fund their AD. And as Nik mentioned they have been very good in basketball and have been to the tournamant 10 times in the last 15 seasons.

So . . . I applied to 3 universities: UNM, NMSU, and DU. DU offered me a scholarship that paid for tuition and my parents agreed that I could be a Pioneer. Later, NMSU called and offered me a scholarship that would have paid for all costs--tuition, room, board, fees. Thank god I answered the phone. I only told my parents about it years later.

Last edited:
Their programs aren't as bad as you make them out to be. They've been independent in football for the past few years and are joing C-USA this year. They aren't afraid to go on the road and consistently play 1 or 2 major teams every year to fund their AD. And as Nik mentioned they have been very good in basketball and have been to the tournamant 10 times in the last 15 seasons.
And Jerry Kill seems to be pulling the football program out of the ditch it was in for a few years. NMSU went 6-6 last season and won its garbage bowl game against Bowling Green. Las Cruces is pretty scenic and it's the 2nd biggest city in the state, for what that's worth. For RMTZ places of similar size it compares favorably to Pueblo or Billings. Good flight connections are 35 miles away in El Paso. NMSU's science and engineering depts were better then those of UNM 15 years ago and I would guess they still are, though I'm not sure. Hardly a "Hick Town" per the OP.

Last edited:
So . . . I applied to 3 universities: UNM, NMSU, and DU. DU offered me a scholarship that paid for all tuition and my parents agreed that I could be a Pioneer. Later, NMSU called and offered me a scholarship that would have paid for all costs--tuition, room, board, fees. Thank god I answered the phone. I only told my parents about it years later.
Surely a better path into CU Law School than UNM or NMSU would have been.

So . . . I applied to 3 universities: UNM, NMSU, and DU. DU offered me a scholarship that paid for all tuition and my parents agreed that I could be a Pioneer. Later, NMSU called and offered me a scholarship that would have paid for all costs--tuition, room, board, fees. Thank god I answered the phone. I only told my parents about it years later.
You actually are guy smiley.

And Jerry Kill seems to be pulling the football program out of the ditch it was in for a few years. NMSU went 6-6 last season and won its garbage bowl game against Bowling Green. Las Cruces is pretty scenic and it's the 2nd biggest city in the state, for what that's worth. For RMTZ places of similar size it compares favorably to Pueblo or Billings. Good flight connections are 35 miles away in El Paso. NMSU's science and engineering depts were better then those of UNM 15 years ago and I would guess they still are, though I'm not sure. Hardly a "Hick Town" per the OP.

Not often I see Las Cruces described as "pretty scenic" and I am one who tends to like a lot of New Mexico. The mountains around it are scenic but the city itself has always struck me as depressed, Pueblo is a good comparison.

It also has brutal weather in the summer, and summer is long.

Not often I see Las Cruces described as "pretty scenic" and I am one who tends to like a lot of New Mexico. The mountains around it are scenic but the city itself has always struck me as depressed, Pueblo is a good comparison.

False. Summer in Las Cruces is nothing like those hellholes in Arizona. Summer nights are particularly outstanding.

www.google.com_search_rlz=1C1YTUH_enUS1034US1034&sxsrf=AJOqlzWR2-HeJ30An0BwcENOwCYuBjvhCw_1676...png

www.google.com_search_q=Phoenix+weather+by+month&rlz=1C1YTUH_enUS1034US1034&biw=1365&bih=872&s...png

Organ Mountains = pretty scenic…..

False. Summer in Las Cruces is nothing like those hellholes in Arizona. Summer nights are particularly outstanding.

View attachment 58921

View attachment 58922
Never compared it to Southern Arizona, or Nevada for that matter.

Unfortunately I've been there enough times in the summer to know that in a place that lacks for shade that sun and heat can be very unpleasant. In the city is lots of concrete, outside the city is a lot of bare ground, both of which soak up the heat.

Not making a case that it is the worst place or even close but it definitely isn't a garden spot either which has a lot to do with why it isn't larger than it is.

Las Cruces is way bigger with the 50k border crossers now living there.

Las Cruces is way bigger with the 50k border crossers now living there.

F*cking border patrol,amirite. I will never forgive those assholes for detaining our goalkeeper before a game in Ruidoso, forcing me to play keeper. I mean, sure, he was a Mexican citizen, but he had a game to be at.

F*cking border patrol,amirite. I will never forgive those assholes for detaining our goalkeeper before a game in Ruidoso, forcing me to play keeper. I mean, sure, he was a Mexican citizen, but he had a game to be at.
He wasn’t detained because he was Mexican. He was detained because he’s a soccer player.

Las Cruces is part of a tri-city metro which includes the much bigger cities of Ciudad Juarez and El Paso.

Back