What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Week 4 college football games

25083dd2_113329d1395425451-salkkareitten-karismaattinen-peluri-ei-juonipaljastuksia-castingcouch.jpeg

These teams dominating have some damn good DL's, I know peopke are getting optimistic but we may be in for a let down unless our DL takes it up a notch.

Keep in mind we haven't played anybody yet. Don't want to put too much on the 'associative property of college football,' but:
Hawaii zeroed again by Wisconsin
Umass rocked by ND
CSU almost lost to UTSA today
Umass is probably our best win so far. I guess we faced a pair of good receivers in Sharpe and Higgins...but we haven't seen teams with any speed.

Keep in mind we haven't played anybody yet. Don't want to put too much on the 'associative property of college football,' but:
Hawaii zeroed again by Wisconsin
Umass rocked by ND
CSU almost lost to UTSA today
Umass is probably our best win so far. I guess we faced a pair of good receivers in Sharpe and Higgins...but we haven't seen teams with any speed.

Comparitive scores have turned out to be a remarkably reliable way to judge teams' abilities.

Huge touchdown for them just now!

But I still think we'll be looking at their coaching staff this year to see if they have any assistants to poach. Results have sucked, but the recruiting has been really good.

As much as London sucks as a head coach, he was effective as a DL coach. Virginia had solid DLines under him.

Virginia's best recruiter is Chip West. He's in charge of CB's. However, the deal with this staff is the recruiting success has largely come from the "757" area (Hampton, Newport News and Virginia Beach). Knowing that area the way I know it, it would be difficult for CU to get kids out of there. The ACC, SEC and B1G are always in on those kids.

The guys on the staff with connections to CO and the West are Dave Borbely (who you'll recall coaching OL from the Barnett days) and of course, there's Steve Fairchild (nothing needs to be said). Larry Lewis coaches ST and TE. He was with Mike Price for a while at Wazzu. Came to UVA from Nevada under Chris Ault. Before that he was at CSU as Fairchild's associate HC. Also was HC at Idaho State for a while. DL coach Joppy Oliver was at Air Force for a while under DeBerry.

DC John Tenuta

Mike Archer coaches LB's. Failed LSU HC from a while back.

Chris Beatty coaches RB's. Was previously coaching WR's at Wisconsin.

Their 2016 class has Dillon Reinkensmeyer from Highlands Ranch. That was Borbely. 9 VA guys, 4 FL, 3 GA, 3 NJ, 2 PA, 1 NC, 1 MD, 1 IN, 1 CO. Pretty standard, although a bit lighter on VA than normal. To show their recruiting ability, they received a commit from a solid 3 star LB out of Florida who had 11 P5 offers a mere 24 hours after losing at home to Boise State by 42.

Last edited:
As much as London sucks as a head coach, he was effective as a DL coach. Virginia had solid DLines under him.

Virginia's best recruiter is Chip West. He's in charge of CB's. However, the deal with this staff is the recruiting success has largely come from the "757" area (Hampton, Newport News and Virginia Beach). Knowing that area the way I know it, it would be difficult for CU to get kids out of there. The ACC, SEC and B1G are always in on those kids.

The guys on the staff with connections to CO and the West are Dave Borbely (who you'll recall coaching OL from the Barnett days) and of course, there's Steve Fairchild (nothing needs to be said). Larry Lewis coaches ST and TE. He was with Mike Price for a while at Wazzu. Came to UVA from Nevada under Chris Ault. Before that he was at CSU as Fairchild's associate HC. Also was HC at Idaho State for a while. DL coach Joppy Oliver was at Air Force for a while under DeBerry.

DC John Tenuta

Mike Archer coaches LB's. Failed LSU HC from a while back.

Chris Beatty coaches RB's. Was previously coaching WR's at Wisconsin.

Their 2016 class has Dillon Reinkensmeyer from Highlands Ranch. That was Borbely. 9 VA guys, 4 FL, 3 GA, 3 NJ, 2 PA, 1 NC, 1 MD, 1 IN, 1 CO. Pretty standard, although a bit lighter on VA than normal. To show their recruiting ability, they received a commit from a solid 3 star LB out of Florida who had 11 P5 offers a mere 24 hours after losing at home to Boise State by 42.

Larry Lewis would be interesting.

I know there is a ton of Texas hate on this board but it is really sad to see how far they have fallen. I hate that TCU and Baylor have outperformed them. Outside of the buffs I root for big time college football programs (Texas, Ohio state, Michigan, Florida, USC, Norte dame) because they provide the best environments for college football to watch and be at. Watching Texas play usc in the rose bowl will more than likely be the best game I have ever watched and there need to be more like it. I am a huge Charlie strong fan and I am really hoping the administration gives him time to turn it around because he had a ton to clean up. Just sad to see from an unbiased view of the program.

Meh. Texas only has themselves to blame, refuse to feel any sort of pity for that program.

Ditto ... the "conference killers" can go **** themselves.

No fan base is more arrogant with less to show for it ... with the probable exception of the cornholers.

AP is absolutely horrible about hanging onto their preseason rankings. They move teams a bit based on wins/losses, but don't usually make radical shifts for big wins.

Apparently I was in error ... those are last weeks rankings (this week hasn't come out yet). My bad. :oops:

Re-watched the Oregon/Utah game. Pretty clear Oregon's QB problem will be difficult for them to fix.

We can beat Oregon if we play mistake free and throw the ball well.

Okay ... the AP rankings for this week just came out:

Much better .... Utah at #10, and Mizzery is finally out!

And Meechigan cracks the Top 25 for the first time in recent memory.

Okay ... the AP rankings for this week just came out:

Much better .... Utah at #10, and Mizzery is finally out!

And Meechigan cracks the Top 25 for the first time in recent memory.

Looks good, aside from USC ahead of Stanford. The top ten is pretty interchangeable, will make for a fun playoff push.

Looks good, aside from USC ahead of Stanford. The top ten is pretty interchangeable, will make for a fun playoff push.

Yeah ... that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me either. Not just the head-to-head result, but Furd's only loss, which looked bad at the time, was to a now ranked and 4-0 Northwestern squad.

And we will be playing an unranked team next week ... for what that's worth. They're still ranked in the coaches' poll ... tied for 24th with Cal, but that poll always sucks.

I know there is a ton of Texas hate on this board but it is really sad to see how far they have fallen. I hate that TCU and Baylor have outperformed them. Outside of the buffs I root for big time college football programs (Texas, Ohio state, Michigan, Florida, USC, Norte dame) because they provide the best environments for college football to watch and be at. Watching Texas play usc in the rose bowl will more than likely be the best game I have ever watched and there need to be more like it. I am a huge Charlie strong fan and I am really hoping the administration gives him time to turn it around because he had a ton to clean up. Just sad to see from an unbiased view of the program.

This is such a false statement. Big time college football programs are only big because they have won a lot. If they falter, then another will take their place in the inevitable vacuum. The ones that take their place will create new "best environments" for fans to enjoy great college football. Your type of reasoning is that the pantheon in college football is essentially set and there really isn't a whole lot that can be changed now because we have the "best" college programs. Why even compete to win in college football if you aren't an established big time program?

This is such a false statement. Big time college football programs are only big because they have won a lot. If they falter, then another will take their place in the inevitable vacuum. The ones that take their place will create new "best environments" for fans to enjoy great college football. Your type of reasoning is that the pantheon in college football is essentially set and there really isn't a whole lot that can be changed now because we have the "best" college programs. Why even compete to win in college football if you aren't an established big time program?

That's not really true. Schools like TCU will never have the fan base a Texas or Michigan has. They don't have as many resources or as cool of a city. Big time college football programs are "big" for a number of reasons, not just winning and losing. Some schools will never be able to replicate an environment like Michigan or Ohio state.

That's not really true. Schools like TCU will never have the fan base a Texas or Michigan has. They don't have as many resources or as cool of a city. Big time college football programs are "big" for a number of reasons, not just winning and losing. Some schools will never be able to replicate an environment like Michigan or Ohio state.

A lot of that has to be with being a large school and winning a lot. Cool city has nothing to do with it. You think South Bend is awesome? It's a crap hole from a friend that went to ND.

Factors include:
1. Having major donors. This needed to happen a long time ago as it's a pay-forward kind of thing. It's why Crowder sought to boost that part for us in the 70s having come from Oklahoma. It's a reason why we still aren't great too. If T. Boone had been T. Boon in the 60s then Okie Light would be a power.
2. Being in a recruit rich area.
3. Large alumni base.
4. Have a huge TV market. Not as much as an issue before, but back in the early 80s weren't only like 5 games televised nationally? You need the tshirt crowd too.
5. Having an arch rival that is also a big deal for a sustained period of time. Even ND has USC.
6. An admin that is willing to help the program in any way it can. There's a reason why we were good with Gee as President of CU. Need to find the coaches and maintain them.
7. A town populace that adores the university. When I visited Knoxville there wasn't a store that wasn't draped in UT gear 3 weeks before the season and they haven't been great in a long time now. I live in Boulder and maybe you see a single rack at Target.
8. Consistent coaching staff.

Factors include:

4. Have a huge TV market. Not as much as an issue before, but back in the early 80s weren't only like 5 games televised nationally?

Actually one, sometimes two if the network, usually ABC, decided along with the NCAA (who had a monopoly on broadcast rights nationally) to have a "doubleheader." That's what used to make New Years Day so special back then ... four bowl games (Cotton, Sugar, Rose, and Orange). That was a day of orgasmic viewing pleasure for those codgers among us that remember those times of deprivation.

Of course, that all changed in 1984 when OU and Georgia brought an anti-trust action against the NCAA, and prevailed at the SCOTUS.

Reactions: SBG
Actually one, sometimes two if the network, usually ABC, decided along with the NCAA (who had a monopoly on broadcast rights nationally) to have a "doubleheader." That's what used to make New Years Day so special back then ... four bowl games (Cotton, Sugar, Rose, and Orange). That was a day of orgasmic viewing pleasure for those codgers among us that remember those times of deprivation.

Of course, that all changed in 1984 when OU and Georgia brought an anti-trust action against the NCAA, and prevailed at the SCOTUS.

Wow! That's crazy how the tides have shifted and how the NCAA is now the bitch of the P5. Good to know.

Back