1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What About Dana Holgerson?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by InTheBuff, Nov 10, 2010.

1. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

2. Sportsfan101

Sportsfan101 Active Member

Not a bad idea, but I find it interesting that we're comparing a Dana Holgerson to a Bill McCartney / EB combo. Guys, this isn't a difficult decision. Pay Mac $1m/year (we get the friends and family discount), reserve another $600k for his OC/assistant HC (Bienemy) and $400k-$500k for his defensive coordinator (Lou Tepper?) and call it a day. Bring on Embree and/or Dorrell and/or Steve Logan with some of that "extra" money we're talking about using for assistants and we've got a killer staff.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  3. fatbuff

fatbuff Well-Known Member

:doh: This sounds like something Al Davis would come up with if he were a Buff.

4. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

I'm not comparing him at all to that combo. I'm just trying to get my mind on other candidates because I really think Bohn (Benson) are not going that direction.

5. Sportsfan101

If you're right, then we've totally botched this.

6. Sportsfan101

Michigan has had a lot of success (winningest program all-time) in keeping jobs "in the family." Michigan has always hired a "Michigan Man" until Rich Rodriguez -- and how has that worked out? I think there is something to getting a Colorado guy -- they understand the challenges that athletes face here and the political realities of dealing with the CU admin, and the fanbase is galvanized.

Again, I don't think this is a difficult decision.

7. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

I'd be happy to take Holgerson over Leach. I still believe that this coaching hire will have to be an uncoventional one.

8. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

Very solid point there. The big question is what kind of offense would we have since the offenses are so much different today than during Big Mac's time at CU.

9. Sportsfan101

Agreed -- that is a big question. Still, I don't think the head coach really "coaches" very much anymore (in the traditional sense) -- he's a recruiter, a PR guy, and he oversees the other coaches. The important thing for Mac (and I think he understands this), is to hire a killer staff. If he can do that, and he can get a staff that has great Xs and Ox experience, I think this is a slam dunk.

10. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Power running with play action seams to be working pretty well for Stanford.

11. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

Is he a man?

(cause we know Mike Gundy is)

12. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I don't have a problem with hiring Mac. I do have a problem with just deciding every assistant needs to have coached or played at CU.

13. fatbuff

Michigan hasnt done much since Shembechler. Thats why they went outside of the "family". I like Mac's ability to hire good coaches, and his record of hires speaks for itself. I was referring more to the filling every assistant position with an ex Buff.

14. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

I believe they won a NC that Bo could never accomplish.

15. fatbuff

You have a point there, but I dont think LLoyd Carr could be compared to Bo in terms of coaching prowess. Woody had a lot to do with Bo missing the MNC.

16. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Any argument for or against using in-house or out-house :confused: is complete BS. If there were a recipe, no program would ever get a bad coach.

17. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

yup, they split with NU in 97 i think. as an aside, over the years funny how Bugeaters like to point out GA Tech '90 here as a shared NC when they and Saint Tom split in 94 with Penn St. and 97 with UM. No? you don't hear them talk about that much.

on the subject of Poke State OC's, I like Larry Fedora too. His Southern Miss team is 6-3 but ain't for lack of scoring.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  18. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Great point. Mac was also a Michigan man when we hired him. You've convinced me - we need to go find somebody in Ann Arbor.... :nod:

19. Buffsoldier

Buffsoldier Well-Known Member