1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What defense do you prefer from this CU team?

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Our base is definitely man with some doubling of the post. This has definitely brought a tougher attitude and also put the team in much better defensive rebounding position. (It would be a lot better if we didn't have to front the post so much, though.)

But we also mix it up with some 3-2 zone, similar to last season. However, we don't seem to trap as much or jump passing lanes as much out of our zone as we did last year (which also saw some 1-3-1 with Nate or another guard running the baseline).

Do you prefer man or zone?

Do you like the current mix that's probably man on 90% of defensive possessions, or would you like to see us mix it up more? Or, maybe, you'd like to see us pick one defense like Syracuse has done and become known for that as our identity?
  2. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I think that occasional zone is okay, but it would be really difficult to execute it effectively for long periods based on our lack of interior size. Since we're a guard-heavy, it seems more natural to run man defense and throw in press and/or traps.

We have difficulty stopping teams once they get the ball inside, so pressure the guards at the perimeter and try to keep them from making passes down low. jmho
  3. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

Apr 1, 2010
    I prefer M2M, zone defense will get you a slow down game that is not fun to watch. Also I dont think that Boyle likes to play that kind of basketball. I think you saw some zone to mix it up, and take the morris brothers out of the game. With M2M when you dont have that much size KU will kill you from inside, but then again Selby showed that with zone he is going to kill you from outside. I think in a few years when the whole team is bought into Boyle's system, and he has the players that can play into that system, you will see little to no zone defense.
  4. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Jul 9, 2005
    I like the man defense we play now, but Boyle and staff did mix zone in effectively last night.
  5. torerobuff

torerobuff Dancing is forbidden Club Member

Oct 18, 2010
    :yeahthat: We forced a couple turnovers out of that 1-3-1, it caught Kansas off guard. Since we've been talking about rebounding so much in the other thread, might as well bring it up here and say that it is much harder to rebound in a zone, especially without a giant in the middle doing all the rebounding work. Rebounding as a team is much easier when matched up.
  6. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Yep nothing wrong with a little zone but this is definitely a man2man team. Zone is harder to rebound. Also if we run zone, Id prefer it be a matchup zone.