What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What does Mcintyre do well as a headcoach?

Understand, the last 2 games have been big positives, but we also played UCLA and OSU close last year, so not sure why the change from 2 games ago. Well maybe this year's better, given both were road games and we won one of them. Just saying I'm also feeling better, but the next 4 games could reinforce or negate the positive feeling. It's always 'what have you done lately.'
I think the conventional thought is we will be really experienced next year and it will be the Buff's season to break through. Changing coaches at this time would send us back to the drawing board and greatly jeopardize the season.

This thread is garbage, and so is any talk of firing MacIntyre after this season. I don't think MacIntyre has done a great job, but he still has done enough to deserve more time. As far as your comment about him bringing his staff with him......how many guys did Petersen bring to UW with him from Boise? Not only that, MM essentially admitted a mistake with the decision to let Baer go, and I expect him to do the same with Brian Lindgren after this year. As I said above, he's safe going into 2016 Multiple reasons for this. One, the only justification IMO for firing him after this year was two straight 0-9 conference campaigns. That isn't going to happen, and frankly, I think this team will win at least one more game (at Wazzu is likely and I wouldn't put beating Utah out of the question) Two, there are way too many P5 openings with more to come (London at UVA is done, Hazell at Purdue isn't far behind, Charlie Strong is by no means safe after that debacle yesterday, Bill Snyder could retire, Rich Rod could very well make another move). If you're being honest with yourself, we are not an attractive job as it is with all the chaos on the carousel already.
I understand if people think Mac deserves another year, but this has to be the worst argument I've heard so far.

1. He has this team playing above their talent level.
2. He is STARTING to have some real success on the recruiting trail despite us being a revolving door of coaching and players for the last 5 years before him.
3. He HAS recruited a TEAMS worth of positions. By this I mean we don't have gaps in the classes. The recruiting under the previous staffs was down right retarded in that we would have like 6 corners, 0 QB's, and that would go on over years. If MM is fired the next guy won't have any holes to fill.
4. He has this team playing TOUGH. Despite what you say, this team doesn't go away or quit. Hits from Thompson and Awuzie, Sefo lowering his shoulder, Lindsay dropping the small boom. These are things we hadn't seen under the last two coaches ever.
5. The players all believe in him.
6. He has a GOOD (changed from great) coaching staff. He brought his entire coaching staff because he had been successful with them. In my mind that is a SMART and HUMBLE move. He didn't credit all his previous success just to himself. Despite the BL hate this year, BL turned the most inept inconsistent offense in the country into a group that consistently puts up 25pts and 400+ yards. currently, in a year most are calling for his head, we are 45th in the nation passing, 38th in the nation rushing, 63rd in points for.

What's missing!? The closer killing instinct. We all hoped it would come this year. But it didn't. I firmly believe that it will. Still possibly this year or next, and with this current staff.

Last edited:
@Lukeasarus, you had me until #6. Hard to call this coaching staff as a whole great (they are not horrible either).

Looking at the big picture, he took the worst P5 team in the country and in less than 3 years has made us competitive in one of the toughest conferences and divisions in the country. I'm as frustrated as anyone with him and not sure he's the guy to get us where we need to be, but what he's done so far is pretty impressive IMO.

Looking at the big picture, he took the worst P5 team in the country and in less than 3 years has made us competitive in one of the toughest conferences and divisions in the country. I'm as frustrated as anyone with him and not sure he's the guy to get us where we need to be, but what he's done so far is pretty impressive IMO.
AB is trending for MM. Interesting trend volatility, both for MM and the team...eager anticipation as the season approaches, fury and crushing disappointment after Hawaii, cautious optimism after CSU, return to sinking dark mood after 1st three conference games, joy and relief tempered with criticism after OSU, frustrated anger immediately after UCLA that is morphing into optimism as recognition sinks in that perhaps we are becoming competitive with good teams, even on the road.

No criticism here, I share these shifting perspectives. Also interesting to think of how little (one play) it would have taken to shift several games the other way - particularly Hawaii, CSU, AZ, OSU, UCLA.

It's a great season to be a CU fan - anything can happen, although we're not dominant we're competitive, and 4 games remain against good (some very good) teams. Can't wait to see how they go!

@Lukeasarus, you had me until #6. Hard to call this coaching staff as a whole great (they are not horrible either).

You are right. I take back that they are great as a whole but I really do think they are at least good.
Leavitt is turning our defense into an aggressive, consistent, but also consistently porous defense. (I am thinking this improves next year with more LB experience). This group is going to improve tremendously next year I think. We still are currently ~69th in points against and routinely give up over 500 yards. So the losses are definitely as much on the D as the O.
Tumpkin: Safeties are fun to watch this year. They are incredibly disruptive in run support and do ok in pass coverage (secondary to lack of speed and with so many blitzes requiring secondary involvement.)
OL coach : The least amount of raw talent is arguably in the OL. I have no clue what is going on with pass protection, but it's night and day from Embree and hawk's OL play.
Lindgren: Points already stated
Special teams coach: Improving. Punts are great. Coverage is worlds better than 2 years ago. Returns are actually looking good with some young speed getting more touches.

Really I think with replacing any coaches we runs the risk of trading down as much as up.
I'm definitely not sold on Mac by any means, and I am dying every Saturday we let one slip through, but have a really hard time thinking of a coach who could do better than him with what he's had to work with. (and being someone we could realistically pull)

basically, i like macintyre.....a lot more than the last two coaches at Colorado.
however, we are complaining about a close loss to a ranked team on the road.

that's not what i want for CU. better than we had, but still iffy.
bowl eligible next year or i start to think elsewhere.

i want to see one more year. hard wait for sure.

AB is trending for MM.
Personally, I wouldn't say I'm trending for MM. I remain ambivalent toward keeping him or not...unlike Lindgren and Neinas for whom I am quite convinced need to go. I'm just trying to give a fair analysis...for me it's easy to forget just how completely horrible we were Mac's first year and he has done a good job. I just don't know if he's capable of taking this team over the hump, but he brought us to the point where we dominated a ranked team on the road...pretty cool...

He hired an effective strength and conditioning coach. We've heard for years that we were going to be wearing out the other team at the end of games, and now it seems to be happening.

This thread is garbage, and so is any talk of firing MacIntyre after this season. I don't think MacIntyre has done a great job, but he still has done enough to deserve more time. As far as your comment about him bringing his staff with him......how many guys did Petersen bring to UW with him from Boise?

There is no comparison between BSU's 2014 staff and SJSU's 2012 staff. Lots of P5 programs would have taken the former. Only one would've taken the latter.

MM says all the right things without coming off like Dan Hawkins. His passion on the field is a double-edged sword, but on the whole I like it. Excepting a few other easily observable traits, it is very difficult for any outsider to say what he does well.

basically, i like macintyre.....a lot more than the last two coaches at Colorado.
however, we are complaining about a close loss to a ranked team on the road.

that's not what i want for CU. better than we had, but still iffy.
bowl eligible next year or i start to think elsewhere.

i want to see one more year. hard wait for sure.
Not precisely. we are complaining about a close loss to a ranked team on the road when we had every opportunity to win but didn't based on failings within our program and not based on anything that ranked team did.

It's an important difference

He hired an effective strength and conditioning coach. We've heard for years that we were going to be wearing out the other team at the end of games, and now it seems to be happening.
By "happening" do you mean finally moving towards that goal, or actually happening on the field? My impression is that in most games we don't do well towards the end, although I don't know if that has anything to do with conditioning.

By "happening" do you mean finally moving towards that goal, or actually happening on the field? My impression is that in most games we don't do well towards the end, although I don't know if that has anything to do with conditioning.

I mean that we appear to be the better conditioned team at the end of many of our games, the UCLA game on Saturday being the latest example. UCLA looked done at the end, until we stopped running the ball.

In my opinion, our problems at the end of games have everything to do with Lindgren/McIntire's inability to manage game situations, and Sefo's poor decision making late in games, neither of which can be fixed by conditioning.

I mean that we appear to be the better conditioned team at the end of many of our games, the UCLA game on Saturday being the latest example. UCLA looked done at the end, until we stopped running the ball.

In my opinion, our problems at the end of games have everything to do with Lindgren/McIntire's inability to manage game situations, and Sefo's poor decision making late in games, neither of which can be fixed by conditioning.

Huh? We looked gassed pretty much against Oregon and Arizona at the end. I'll give you that we looked better conditioned than UCLA on Saturday though. It seemed a wash against OSU. Neither team was impressive.

How many ways can MacIntyre be spelled wrong?
-We have the common McIntyre that I blame on having a Coach Mc that everyone called Coach Mac
-We have MacIntire and McIntire which means phonics weren't taught at their schools.

I am not sure of others that I have seen but come on people, know your HC spelling of his name.

He also created a hot daughter. But I don't think that counts for this thread

A quote from coach Mac on the 30 for 30 reminded me of what MMac does best. He is honest and cares about his players. McCartney talked about kids knowing if you are sincere and if you got their back. MMac has that. He is a solid, well organized coach, but his sincerity is the asset that will eventually turn us around and keep us going.

A quote from coach Mac on the 30 for 30 reminded me of what MMac does best. He is honest and cares about his players. McCartney talked about kids knowing if you are sincere and if you got their back. MMac has that. He is a solid, well organized coach, but his sincerity is the asset that will eventually turn us around and keep us going.
Awww, that's so sweet.

He needs to recruit better, hope he trades in Neinas for a top shelf recruiter this off season. Adding Leavitt and Tumpkins for this year shows it can be done...

He needs to recruit better, hope he trades in Neinas for a top shelf recruiter this off season. Adding Leavitt and Tumpkins for this year shows it can be done...
Agreed, maybe trade in two coaches for better recruiters. MMac fell short in recruiting his first two years he has to pick it up from here on out.

This. We could use some better shelves.

Great point.

Back