What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What Happened to Us?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by buffaholic
Joel Klatt sabatoged the process. He picked the next coach and tied the admins hands. Never Forget!

that's sad if true.

Joel Klatt does not have near that much power...Maybe Buffaholic could enlighten us about what he is talking about.

With all due respect to the original poster, isn't this just sour grapes because you don't feel like you got what you wanted? Any coaching hire is high risk - I think we learned that the last time around. Rich Rod was a proven coach at WVU but not a fit at UM. Bob Stoops was not a proven head coach but has been great at OU. No matter who is hired there will be a faction who has concerns. A lot of people were energized by the Dan Hawkins hire but without winning that energy dissipates.

I was never a big fan of keeping it in the family but I do feel that both Embree and especially EB are credible candidates. You have to have a good fit and I think EB (or JE) would be a better fit than Miles, Leach or Bellotti. And it seemed that a lot of fans were opposed to Calhoun (I did not understand that). I am trying to get my arms around what you are disappointed in - they talked to Calhoun, Bellotti and Miles. The first two did not want to pursue the job and the 3rd one was way too expensive....

I didn't know who I wanted. I didn't have a name, but imagined that our program would attract a D1 HC or BCS conference coordinator. So maybe it's sour grapes that I didn't get what I wanted, but more likely I think it reveals something else about our program.

Here's what I'm disappointed in:

We didn't hear more names like Paul Chryst/Don Treadwell, or really even Venables (although he's far from my top choice), or any top coordinators outside of McElwain. I hope that they were at least contacted, but my confidence in Bohn after the basketball coaching searches is small.

With that being said, it's time to build a program Mr. Embree...

I didn't know who I wanted. I didn't have a name, but imagined that our program would attract a D1 HC or BCS conference coordinator. So maybe it's sour grapes that I didn't get what I wanted, but more likely I think it reveals something else about our program.

I think it reveals that many fans want to get back to the Mac era and the easiest way to visualize that is with someone from that era. Might not be right but I think that is where we are.

I am trying to get my arms around what you are disappointed in - they talked to Calhoun, Bellotti and Miles. The first two did not want to pursue the job and the 3rd one was way too expensive....

Mike Leach would have been a TEN times better hire than Embree. Ditto Dave Logan. The current pick was SAFE. Hawkins was a safe pick, the next pick should have been visionary. I mean the Embree hire is so safe that it's risky. It's risky because if CU comes in as the doormat of the PAC-10, they may never recover. The gentleman above you said he hopes that we all enjoyed 89-94 because it may never happen again. I fear that we may never see again the halcyon days of 96-05 where competing for a conference championship and ergo the national championship was a realistic dream. To compete against big money programs like USC and Oregon, and established CA schools like Stanford and Cal was going to take a remarkable hire who could hit the ground running. Jon Embree isn't a name coach, he isn't even a darkhorse candidate, he was a safe hire that Bohn knew would take little money and be OK with coaching at an academics first, football also-run like CU has become. The glory days of Mac are LONG gone, the glory days of Barnett are going to see like a peaceful memory if Embree cannot win 7-8 games next year.

Mike Leach would have been a TEN times better hire than Embree. Ditto Dave Logan.

So Dave Logan would be a remarkable hire? A coach with 0 experience at college or pro level is remarkable? I'm not taking anything away from Logan's accomplishments but how would hiring him be any more remarkable than Embree?

And as far as Leach is concerned, you can't discount the politician that the Football Coach has to play in the people's republic of Boulder. My God, that man would be crucified by the Femi-Nazi's AND Administration in that town if he pulled half the stuff he did at Tech.

Don't ever call Logan better than our new coach. And ten times better? WTF?

So Dave Logan would be a remarkable hire? A coach with 0 experience at college or pro level is remarkable? I'm not taking anything away from Logan's accomplishments but how would hiring him be any more remarkable than Embree?

And as far as Leach is concerned, you can't discount the politician that the Football Coach has to play in the people's republic of Boulder. My God, that man would be crucified by the Femi-Nazi's AND Administration in that town if he pulled half the stuff he did at Tech.

Logan would have been a swing for the fences hire. Im convinced that Logan could keep ALL talent in Colorado if he had been named the head coach. That isn't enough to build a winner, but it would be more akin to the days of Mac when kids grew up wanting to be Buffs and you wouldnt lose kids like Danny Spond to ND, and would have gotten commits from kids like Bo Scaife and Ryan Clement (I know I am dating myself here). I dont think we should discount what Dave Logan has done. It is a pick that would have had a LOT more locals excited than a NO NAME coach like Embree.

Nick Saben could not win 7-8 games for CU next year

I agree, but starting slow in the PAC-12 could signal the death knell for CU football. I fear we will be like Wazzu where a winning season is something to be happy about - happy not to chase titles, not like OSU/ASU who are generally mediocre with flashes of brilliance.

Logan would have been a swing for the fences hire. Im convinced that Logan could keep ALL talent in Colorado if he had been named the head coach. That isn't enough to build a winner, but it would be more akin to the days of Mac when kids grew up wanting to be Buffs and you wouldnt lose kids like Danny Spond to ND, and would have gotten commits from kids like Bo Scaife and Ryan Clement (I know I am dating myself here). I dont think we should discount what Dave Logan has done. It is a pick that would have had a LOT more locals excited than a NO NAME coach like Embree.

I agree, but starting slow in the PAC-12 could signal the death knell for CU football. I fear we will be like Wazzu where a winning season is something to be happy about - happy not to chase titles, not like OSU/ASU who are generally mediocre with flashes of brilliance.

Please go back to netbuffs. Your posts are making me dumber.

Really good post. Would read again.

Don't ever call Logan better than our new coach. And ten times better? WTF?

20x better? Mike Leach produced a top rated offense with fifth and six level talent and leftover recruits. Once in his tenure did he recruit a top 30 class, recruiting against UT, TAMU, OU, LSU, OSU, and every other D1 school that's within spitting distance of Texas, not to mention Baylor, Houston, UNT, Rice, LaTech, Tulane, Tulsa, etc. etc. etc. etc. He has a proven record of success in developing an innovative exciting to watch offense (Which admittedly Hawkins did as well).

JDBattleMC;767820[B said:
]Mike Leach would have been a TEN times better hire than Embree. Ditto Dave Logan.[/B]

With that statement you have zero credibility in my mind. Everyone has an opinion...Dave Logan would be a disaster hire, IMO. Leach is not a fit at CU, he would end up like Rich Rod at Michigan. Part of the selection process is to find the right fit.

20x better? Mike Leach produced a top rated offense with fifth and six level talent and leftover recruits. Once in his tenure did he recruit a top 30 class, recruiting against UT, TAMU, OU, LSU, OSU, and every other D1 school that's within spitting distance of Texas, not to mention Baylor, Houston, UNT, Rice, LaTech, Tulane, Tulsa, etc. etc. etc. etc. He has a proven record of success in developing an innovative exciting to watch offense (Which admittedly Hawkins did as well).

Nice info on Mike Leach. My post was about Logan.

With that statement you have zero credibility in my mind. Everyone has an opinion...Dave Logan would be a disaster hire, IMO. Leach is not a fit at CU, he would end up like Rich Rod at Michigan. Part of the selection process is to find the right fit.

Yup....seeing a lot of people pissed off, talking crap and making ridiculous statements simply because it wasn't "their top pick"....meanwhile they have actually 0 information/knowledge about Embree and what he brings to the table

I've taken a step back from my disappointment this morning and am actually very excited to see what the future brings for the Buffs!

No One can keep all the in state talent in state. A lot of HS coaches in the Metro Area resent Logan because of his recruiting of top players - do you think he is going to find allies in that group. Logan claims he trys to get his players to go to CU ---- does not seem too successful at that. By the way, Ryan Clement went to Miami because CU did not have a true QB coach (Mac coached the QBs) and that is why Mac hired Neu the next year. Based on how things turned out Clement would of been better off going to CU.

Yup....seeing a lot of people pissed off, talking crap and making ridiculous statements simply because it wasn't "their top pick"....meanwhile they have actually 0 information/knowledge about Embree and what he brings to the table

I've taken a step back from my disappointment this morning and am actually very excited to see what the future brings for the Buffs!

I'm with you. I know very little about JE, so I am now excited to see what the search group saw in him. He has a clean slate in my book.

How could I respect you if I had credibility to start with? You have to earn things with me boy, you aren't given them. How could you feel that Embree is the right fit when he's been an "assistant head coach" (Which is often an honorary title and comes with no real responsibilities) and effectively a tight ends coach his ENTIRE career. He hasn't had to design an offense or a defense, control a staff, control a budget, be in charge of building a team on his own. Meanwhile Logan played in the NFL at a high level, played in college at a high level, and is a proven winner who develops teams where he goes and has produced numerous division one players.

Nice info on Mike Leach. My post was about Logan.

See above.

What do you know about what Embree brings to the table? It took you 3 hours to settle down with the rest of the sheep? Being loyal to a team isn't about accepting its decisions as good. This hire should be proof that Bohn needs to go. He swung for the warning track, and missed.

I'm with you. I know very little about JE, so I am now excited to see what the search group saw in him. He has a clean slate in my book.

I truly believe that the more Buff fans get to know Embree, what he's about, how he coaches and the way he carries himself, they will see that this guy is a GREAT hire for CU. I can't state this emphatically enough.

This post is not getting enough run. This is gold stuff here.

How could I respect you if I had credibility to start with? You have to earn things with me boy, you aren't given them. How could you feel that Embree is the right fit when he's been an "assistant head coach" (Which is often an honorary title and comes with no real responsibilities) and effectively a tight ends coach his ENTIRE career. He hasn't had to design an offense or a defense, control a staff, control a budget, be in charge of building a team on his own. Meanwhile Logan played in the NFL at a high level, played in college at a high level, and is a proven winner who develops teams where he goes and has produced numerous division one players.

IN HIGHSCHOOL. There, done.

No One can keep all the in state talent in state. A lot of HS coaches in the Metro Area resent Logan because of his recruiting of top players - do you think he is going to find allies in that group. Logan claims he trys to get his players to go to CU ---- does not seem too successful at that. By the way, Ryan Clement went to Miami because CU did not have a true QB coach (Mac coached the QBs) and that is why Mac hired Neu the next year. Based on how things turned out Clement would of been better off going to CU.

You don't think that Mack Brown, Pete Carroll, Nick Saban, Jim Tressel, and 90-94 Bill McCartney keep/kept all their talent in state for the most part? Those states are FAR more talent rich that Colorado is. It's not like we have a stream of even FOUR star recruits leaving the state. We're talking about keeping 2-3 kids in state for the most part every year if we are talking about the 4-5 star level talent Colorado has.

IN HIGHSCHOOL. There, done.

Do you think when they hired Embree in KC that they said "Well, you only coached college kids, this is the NFL buddy." Pretty sure they know that coaching is coaching. There isn't a significant difference between a big time high school program like Mullen and CU. CU isn't the production that coaching at Alabama is where the team has their own plane.

Do you think when they hired Embree in KC that they said "Well, you only coached college kids, this is the NFL buddy." Pretty sure they know that coaching is coaching. There isn't a significant difference between a big time high school program like Mullen and CU. CU isn't the production that coaching at Alabama is where the team has their own plane.

:lol: :huh: :lol:

I truly believe that the more Buff fans get to know Embree, what he's about, how he coaches and the way he carries himself, they will see that this guy is a GREAT hire for CU. I can't state this emphatically enough.

I agree with you. Embree has always been very well spoken and is still very passionate.

Try using different fonts and sizes for your text. Also bolding helps. If all else fails separate each word with a period (no spaces) and end it with the an all capped "FACT!"

I'm here to help.

Back