What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What is Tadball?

Regarding Tadball, I agree with much of the original posters comments, except I believe "aggressive defense" is the new age defense. We saw a lot of it with the teams that came in to play, and though the Buffs faltered some against it, it was effective. Buffs need to use this with an on/off switch. One of my biggest frustrations if failure to double-teaming players. It's improved slightly, but it's highly effective, and great at causing turn overs. Same with anticipating the classic "around the horn" passing we see the Buffs use. While I think our defense is "good," it could improve. But agree, rebounding is top priority, along with FT and 3pt shooting.

My issue is not what Tad emphasizes, but in the execution. As much as he claims these are important I think his teams have rarely been elite, or even close in defense or rebounding. I'm too lazy to do the math, but for each of those stats they only reach the goal ~50% of the time. Outside of freaks like Roberson or Scott the team as a whole I never viewed as good rebounders. Rarely do you see a real boxout. Defensively we consistently have guys who will never block a shot jumping rather than closing out. Compare that to a team like Virginia or even a team with way lower skill level like CSU. Their defensive fundamentals are far superior to CU teams under Tad.

My issue is not what Tad emphasizes, but in the execution. As much as he claims these are important I think his teams have rarely been elite, or even close in defense or rebounding. I'm too lazy to do the math, but for each of those stats they only reach the goal ~50% of the time. Outside of freaks like Roberson or Scott the team as a whole I never viewed as good rebounders. Rarely do you see a real boxout. Defensively we consistently have guys who will never block a shot jumping rather than closing out. Compare that to a team like Virginia or even a team with way lower skill level like CSU. Their defensive fundamentals are far superior to CU teams under Tad.
I was interested this, so I researched it. Last year, we were 6th in total rebounds in conference, in 2015-16 (tourney year), we were 1st, 2nd in 2014, 2nd in 2013, 2nd in 2012, 3rd in 2011, and 3rd in 2010. So the lowest conference rank in total rebounds was 6th, last year. Our lowest national rank was last year, where we were 72nd in total rebounds. We reached top 25 nationally in rebounds twice under Tad.

I was interested this, so I researched it. Last year, we were 6th in total rebounds in conference, in 2015-16 (tourney year), we were 1st, 2nd in 2014, 2nd in 2013, 2nd in 2012, 3rd in 2011, and 3rd in 2010. So the lowest conference rank in total rebounds was 6th, last year. Our lowest national rank was last year, where we were 72nd in total rebounds. We reached top 25 nationally in rebounds twice under Tad.
Better than I expected. Although those years were with Roberson and Scott. Although you could say Boyle recruited those guys because of their rebounding instincts. Similar to what we heard about Bey this year. Maybe my thoughts were more perception than reality. Thanks for being a better person than me and actually looking things up haha.

This year is going to be a struggle on the glass. We knew it would be before Battey was ruled ineligible and Miller got hurt. Now it's going to be about impossible to match up some nights. Walton, Siewert and Bey better grow up in a hurry as college rebounders. And our big guards better be helping on the glass. PGs, SGs and Wings need to give us about 20 rebounds a night, I think.

My opinion of an aggressive defense is Mizzou under Mike Anderson or Pitt in that 2014 NCAA tournament game.

My opinion of an aggressive defense is Mizzou under Mike Anderson or Pitt in that 2014 NCAA tournament game.

Shaka Smart/VCU style havoc, or if you want to go historic Nolan Richardson 40 minutes of hell. Pretty sure Mike Anderson is a Nolan disciple.

Shaka Smart/VCU style havoc, or if you want to go historic Nolan Richardson 40 minutes of hell. Pretty sure Mike Anderson is a Nolan disciple.

Gonna need a different set of athletes to run press defenses like WVU and VCU

Smart doesn't do the same at Texas like VCU and that is his preferred style

Because other programs are improving...... ASU is becoming a powerhouse and Arizona and others are still recruiting at a very high level. It’s Tad’s 8th season. It’s not the Big Sky it’s the PAC 12. We were lucky to get D White last year. The program didn’t develop him. He came from another school. Want to be positive, but wasn’t a positive outing last night against a weak program.

I am growing tired of hearing about teams "becoming a powerhouse". The same was mentioned about USC couple years back but they've still yet to become a powerhouse, even though they do get really good players and have had a couple good seasons in a row. No, ASU is having a terrific start to their season, they are not necessarily becoming a powerhouse. Besides, their (3) best players (the guys who really make it all go) are all Sr's (Holder, Evans and Justice). It's not uncommon for Div I teams to suddenly have a really good season as groups of good players get to their Sr year. Furthermore, I don't believe that Hurley stays at ASU for more than another year or two. It also wouldn't surprise me if they finish with a good 6-7-8 losses by the time the conference season is over.

As for the recruiting : There are four teams in this conference that are recruiting at an exceptionally high-level and that includes Arizona, Oregon, UCLA, and USC. Those four programs, right now, are recruiting with the best of the best. However, you don't have to look very far beyond that before you suddenly fall upon CU's recent recruiting class, which certainly ranked Top 20 in the country and was perhaps 5th or 6th best in the conference.

CU recruiting has its limitations, as mentioned by others. No great basketball tradition, no strong probability of championships of any sort other than the Paradise Jam, no special prospects for being developed into NBA caliber (just ask Josh Fortune). This has virtually always been the case, and the less successful coaches of the past few decades could testify to that. Given this situation, Tad Boyle came in and has had modest success, which might be considered remarkable success by some.

On the positive side, you might think the Rocky Mountain foothills would be an attraction to city kids - and certainly it is, for some. But most star athletes are looking for a place to maximize media and big-game attention, and this isn’t (usually) the place. Decent facilities are a positive also.

While I agree that CU does not have great basketball tradition I would follow your statement up with this question "how many programs around the country actually do have "GREAT" basketball tradition ... what maybe 30 to 35 programs, with all honesty?"
You go on to state that there is no strong probability of championships of any sort but you seem to forget that CU has won a Pac-12 Championship (2012), the Charleston Classic (2012), the Paradise Jam (2017), and made a Final Four run in the NIT (2011). Without having all the facts before me I would doubt that there are but maybe 25 other programs that can say they've done as much as that over the past 7 years.

And Tad Boyle has not just had "modest" success at CU, he's had good success but a couple recruiting classes, four transfers and a few season-ending injuries have dampened things over the past three years. He's otherwise won 157 games in just over 7 years : Has made it to 7 straight postseasons (4 NCAA, 2 NIT, and 1 CBI) : Has a 64-62 conference record : Has (3) Championships including a Pac-12 championship and an NIT Final Four. He has four kids actively playing in the NBA (Burks, Dinwiddie, Roberson, White) and has had four other really high-level pro-style players travel through his program (Booker, Brown, X-Johnson, Scott) ... not to also mention Jaron Hopkins (Fresno St) and Tre'Shaun Fletcher (Toledo) who have both gone onto bigger and better careers with other programs.

As for star athletes, thoughts, and facilities : I've personally had the chance to speak with I'd say roughly 30 star athletes over the past decade, with what I do for my career, and within that group there were maybe 3 or 4 that thought they were "all that" and even spoke about maximizing media attention and being in big games. Shoot most of those kids have actually been looking at asthetics, different studies and programs, and just where they would feel most comfortable. CU is a great fit but so are many other colleges. CU is not the only college that has a beautiful campus with an awesome setting. As far as the "star athletes" that I think you might be trying to make a point about ... the McDonald's All-Americans that everyone (including myself) wishes CU would get at least once in a while, that's the top 25 kids in the country and we ALL know where most of those kids go. With the exception of 4 or 5 of those kids, they're mostly all gonna go to the "Elite" 10 to 15 programs. But Boyle has been able to land a handful of players (Collier, Fletcher, X-Johnson, Scott, Schwartz) who were at least among the top 100 players in the country, and he's recruited others that certainly came in and played as though they should have been rated higher (Dinwiddie, Roberson, Mckin Wright to name a few).
And as for facilities : CU no longer has a problem with their basketball facilities. That's all in the past (prior to 2014). CU now -of course- has really good basketball training and locker room facilities, and the Events Center has seen recent upgrades to the arena to begin with, but also new court, sound system, scoreboards and the new center court mounted video scoreboard. They really should have no complaints about facilities at least for the time being. Besides, that really hasn't been in problem over the past 7 years in landing some really good prospects to CU.

Colorado is reeling a little bit these past few years and it's because of the strain on the program stemming from a "missed" recruiting class in 2015 (Akyazili and Guzonjic were NOT Pac-12 caliber players) : losing players like Hopkins, Fletcher and Peters : not to mention a couple untimely season-ending injuries to Xav Johnson (2015) and to Tory Miller-Stewart (2017). All of those things put continued strain on your program, we all know this.

The Buffs are left with more strain this season in the fact that they have a very young and inexperienced team right now. Of their primary (9) players, (7) of them are under-classmen (4 Fr and 3 So) with very little experience. George King has been playing relatively well and consistent for the most part. Namon Wright is kind of still a NEW player in his own right. Even though he transferred and practiced with the team last year, its still different during your first year following a transfer, especially when you're playing with so many younger kids around you. It's no wonder why this team is struggling right now.

So ASU is good and lead by 3 seniors. Previous to this year not so much. They took their lumps and reaping benefits now. Looks like CU could experience the same in 2/3 years when the current group gains their experience.

They lost Hopkins but that enabled a scholarship for White. Also all schools miss on recruits but some have enough talent to recover quickly. Duke has players leaving/forced out all the time. They have a wider net.

While I agree that CU does not have great basketball tradition I would follow your statement up with this question "how many programs around the country actually do have "GREAT" basketball tradition ... what maybe 30 to 35 programs, with all honesty?"
You go on to state that there is no strong probability of championships of any sort but you seem to forget that CU has won a Pac-12 Championship (2012), the Charleston Classic (2012), the Paradise Jam (2017), and made a Final Four run in the NIT (2011). Without having all the facts before me I would doubt that there are but maybe 25 other programs that can say they've done as much as that over the past 7 years.

And Tad Boyle has not just had "modest" success at CU, he's had good success but a couple recruiting classes, four transfers and a few season-ending injuries have dampened things over the past three years. He's otherwise won 157 games in just over 7 years : Has made it to 7 straight postseasons (4 NCAA, 2 NIT, and 1 CBI) : Has a 64-62 conference record : Has (3) Championships including a Pac-12 championship and an NIT Final Four. He has four kids actively playing in the NBA (Burks, Dinwiddie, Roberson, White) and has had four other really high-level pro-style players travel through his program (Booker, Brown, X-Johnson, Scott) ... not to also mention Jaron Hopkins (Fresno St) and Tre'Shaun Fletcher (Toledo) who have both gone onto bigger and better careers with other programs.

As for star athletes, thoughts, and facilities : I've personally had the chance to speak with I'd say roughly 30 star athletes over the past decade, with what I do for my career, and within that group there were maybe 3 or 4 that thought they were "all that" and even spoke about maximizing media attention and being in big games. Shoot most of those kids have actually been looking at asthetics, different studies and programs, and just where they would feel most comfortable. CU is a great fit but so are many other colleges. CU is not the only college that has a beautiful campus with an awesome setting. As far as the "star athletes" that I think you might be trying to make a point about ... the McDonald's All-Americans that everyone (including myself) wishes CU would get at least once in a while, that's the top 25 kids in the country and we ALL know where most of those kids go. With the exception of 4 or 5 of those kids, they're mostly all gonna go to the "Elite" 10 to 15 programs. But Boyle has been able to land a handful of players (Collier, Fletcher, X-Johnson, Scott, Schwartz) who were at least among the top 100 players in the country, and he's recruited others that certainly came in and played as though they should have been rated higher (Dinwiddie, Roberson, Mckin Wright to name a few).
And as for facilities : CU no longer has a problem with their basketball facilities. That's all in the past (prior to 2014). CU now -of course- has really good basketball training and locker room facilities, and the Events Center has seen recent upgrades to the arena to begin with, but also new court, sound system, scoreboards and the new center court mounted video scoreboard. They really should have no complaints about facilities at least for the time being. Besides, that really hasn't been in problem over the past 7 years in landing some really good prospects to CU.
I appreciate your thoughtful points and the perspective is valid. I tend to take a pessimistic view as I’d rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed. Certainly there is reason for hope with Tad’s teams, which had not been the case for a while prior to his arrival.

Colorado is reeling a little bit these past few years and it's because of the strain on the program stemming from a "missed" recruiting class in 2015 (Akyazili and Guzonjic were NOT Pac-12 caliber players) : losing players like Hopkins, Fletcher and Peters : not to mention a couple untimely season-ending injuries to Xav Johnson (2015) and to Tory Miller-Stewart (2017). All of those things put continued strain on your program, we all know this.

The Buffs are left with more strain this season in the fact that they have a very young and inexperienced team right now. Of their primary (9) players, (7) of them are under-classmen (4 Fr and 3 So) with very little experience. George King has been playing relatively well and consistent for the most part. Namon Wright is kind of still a NEW player in his own right. Even though he transferred and practiced with the team last year, its still different during your first year following a transfer, especially when you're playing with so many younger kids around you. It's no wonder why this team is struggling right now.

Welcome back to the boards man... ...and with quite the posts. Regarding your thoughts on recruiting, while you were away we've discussed the topic in other threads. I think most of posters are on the same page as you, including myself. I however do have slightly higher expectations for Tad and Co. It's reasonable to be landing players higher ranked than in the low top-100, and more like around 50, with the occasional run at a star (even if we fail). Recruiting could be better, granted with the FBI case exposing **** that some of us may have been in denial about (I at least was in denial to the severity and pervasiveness of it, maybe still am), perhaps the reasons are more moralistic. I will repeat that I'm not high on our latest two signees, and while not a death blow, it would have been nice to have some supplemental pieces coming in next year to help the team. We have some good pieces obviously in this freshmen class for Tad's rebuild, but we should never stop getting new and improved building material.

Last edited:
So ASU is good and lead by 3 seniors. Previous to this year not so much. They took their lumps and reaping benefits now. Looks like CU could experience the same in 2/3 years when the current group gains their experience.

They lost Hopkins but that enabled a scholarship for White. Also all schools miss on recruits but some have enough talent to recover quickly. Duke has players leaving/forced out all the time. They have a wider net.

Yeah, I'd like to follow-up on the last part of the post. Abso-****ing-lutely elite programs miss on prospects all the time. Now, they hit on stars as well, which greatly help overcome their misses, but I think people that don't follow Duke would be surprised at how many kids decide to transfer as of late. Before Duke went all in on one-and-done's, they still had a lot of misses on 5-star guys. Granted, they were still very competitive, but they were not challenging for titles. Duke and CU don't share the same recruiting grounds really, but I wouldn't mind if CU got after the kids the Duke chases out West. If they get homesick or get impatient, I'd more than willing take them as transfers (e.g. Thornton, Jeter).

So I just realized that Utah went on the road and beat both Oregon schools. They are sitting ant 10-3 and poised to make the dance again. I took a quick peek at their roster and they start 3 seniors and two juniors. The makeup is 4 transfers and a single recruit. So while schools like Utah have recruiting misses just like CU, they tap different markets to try and fix deficiencies quickly.

Culture is different too.
They love basketball and are rabid supporters.
I dont know but what are academics like there.
All play a role in getting players.

I however do have slightly higher expectations for Tad and Co. It's reasonable to be landing players higher ranked than in the low top-100, and more like around 50, with the occasional run at a star (even if we fail).

Thanks man. It's certainly nice to pop in once in a while and see what everyone is gabbing about.

You and I know exactly what you mean hear but with the way it's posted I can't help but think we're splitting hairs. I mean is it really that crucial to get a kid who's ranked #49 or #50 over a kid who's ranked #76? I mean after all there are several hundred kids to choose from so we're still getting a few of the "elite" supposedly within the class. Frankly, IMO, it really doesn't matter because it's all a crap-shoot at the end of the day, outside of probably the Top 20. If you land a Top 20 player you're arguably gonna get some really big time and immediate production although that's not 100% guaranteed either.

One thing I will say about Tad's recruiting so far is that I don't "agree" with the constant influx of wing players (6'5 to 6'7 long and athletic). I'd rather settle for a couple of wings and let it be. Then I would attempt to stockpile with bigger post players, make sure that you've got at least four big's at all times. It appears that college basketball is continually getting taller and bigger and CU seems to always be thin in the post.

Hurley is rocking on the recruiting trail as well...two 4* signed in November. And Krystowiak is simply a better coach than Tad and is able to recruit and mold transfers and other contributors into an effective team. His teams are more fundamentally sound and make fewer turnovers. And looking at the latest recruiting signings..Buffs last in the South...and hanging with UW, Wazzu and O'state in the bottom third in the conference. Sorry....but the prognosis for the future is very mixed.

Thanks man. It's certainly nice to pop in once in a while and see what everyone is gabbing about.

You and I know exactly what you mean hear but with the way it's posted I can't help but think we're splitting hairs. I mean is it really that crucial to get a kid who's ranked #49 or #50 over a kid who's ranked #76? I mean after all there are several hundred kids to choose from so we're still getting a few of the "elite" supposedly within the class. Frankly, IMO, it really doesn't matter because it's all a crap-shoot at the end of the day, outside of probably the Top 20. If you land a Top 20 player you're arguably gonna get some really big time and immediate production although that's not 100% guaranteed either.

One thing I will say about Tad's recruiting so far is that I don't "agree" with the constant influx of wing players (6'5 to 6'7 long and athletic). I'd rather settle for a couple of wings and let it be. Then I would attempt to stockpile with bigger post players, make sure that you've got at least four big's at all times. It appears that college basketball is continually getting taller and bigger and CU seems to always be thin in the post.

Well, it may be splitting hairs, but I do think there's a difference between the prospect in the top 10 vs top 40, as well as top 50 vs top 100. Yes, it is a crapshoot at the end of the day. This year''s freshmen were not top 50, and obviously I have no qualms with them. This is just my ideal wish fwiw.

I will disagree with you somewhat on the wings and bigs. There are some threads on here about what we need, and many of course have concerns about our bigs situation, including myself. But, while college basketball (and bball in general) is getting taller and bigger, it's also still becoming more small ball. So, you want lengthy wings and dynamic guards. Of course though, you need sufficient bigs to defend down low, and we are lacking that. I think 4 bigs is fine, but if you're saying true bigs (ala Tory or J Scott), then I disagree you want at least 4 at all times. I think three is fine, so long as you have some wings with good length that can play big periodically. Four could work, but if that's the target, and 5 is occasionally reached, I think that's too much. I'd rather target 3. (Of course, if we got 4 Anthony Davis...I wouldn't complain...)

Walton, Bey, Battey.

I'm actually optimistic about next year, IF, HCTB can hold the team together through this one.
I imagine that good players will transfer out just like they have in the past when the losses mount and they tire of Boyle's schtick.

Hurley is rocking on the recruiting trail as well...two 4* signed in November. And Krystowiak is simply a better coach than Tad and is able to recruit and mold transfers and other contributors into an effective team. His teams are more fundamentally sound and make fewer turnovers. And looking at the latest recruiting signings..Buffs last in the South...and hanging with UW, Wazzu and O'state in the bottom third in the conference. Sorry....but the prognosis for the future is very mixed.

You're right, Hurley has turned the corner with recent recruiting for ASU, but the two 4* was last year. They have ONE player signed this year (Luguentz Dort from Canada) and he is a 5* and one hell of a player. However, I really don't expect HIM (Bobby Hurley) to be there for much longer. Unfortunately ASU is likely going to be a stepping stone for Coach Hurley. Same (for example) can likely be said about Chris Collins at Northwestern. I also would definitely agree with you about Krystowiak. I like HIS teams ... they're tough, fundamentally sound, and they find ways to break you down, and that's of course what we ALL want to see. For some reason Boyle's teams have generally lacked discipline and maturity in very key situations.

As for the recruiting and where everyone ranks, again, I've just seen it way too much where a 4* or 5* just -for whatever reason- doesn't quite come through, yet several 2* and 3* players went on to become really high level college players. One never knows how these kids are gonna mature and develop, or how they'll deal with the daily grind of being a college student ... a kid growing up ... and trying to travel and play college basketball as well. None of us have ANY idea how this current group is gonna look next year or the year following, and as far as we know, D Kountz and E Parquet may turn out to be great basketball players and go onto to bigger and better things. There are TWO things I definitely don't/won't put much stock in, and those are #1 - Preseason Rankings and #2 - Recruiting (Star) Rankings.

Last edited:
I know Tad has taken the program to heights it’s not achieved previously, but the bar was low and we seem to be receding. Last year was horrible. Derrick White made it bearable. The next couple of years look abysmal. This is the PAC-12...... we’re going to need to get another gear to compete. Tad’s recruiting isn’t making the grade. The program is missing the talented needed to win. [/QUOTE
You can question some of Tad's coaching recently, but to say his latest group of recruits are not up to par and the future looks abysmal just showcases your ignorance.

Last edited:

mmmm...if the bolded quote of yours is directed at me and reservations I have about our latest 2-person haul, I'd request you defend it then. I'm a Tad supporter, but fair critiques are deserved. Perhaps you're thinking my critique of our 2018 class is me attacking Tad overall for his recruiting, which isn't what I'm saying?

mmmm...if the bolded quote of yours is directed at me and reservations I have about our latest 2-person haul, I'd request you defend it then. I'm a Tad supporter, but fair critiques are deserved. Perhaps you're thinking my critique of our 2018 class is me attacking Tad overall for his recruiting, which isn't what I'm saying?
Wasn't directed at you. Buffman1992 on the other hand...

CU doesn't deserve Tad Boyle after reading through a lot of this. Tad has worked his butt off to build this program. If we didn't lost our big man to injury and had Battey, this team jumps up a tier. Look at what he has been able to do in his short time here. Tad has put players into the NBA who are performing at a high level while pulling CU from an abyss. I have seen him around campus handing out tickets to get kids to go to games. If Tad isn't the type of coach we want, what are our expectations? I couldn't be more thrilled to call him a Buff and he has genuine drive, he's stated multiple times that this job is his dream job.

I just finished a little research related to recruiting and players Tad and his staff have attempted to get. Since 2012, besides the players that have been signed, the coaching staff has extended offers to an additional (15) Top 100 recruits. That list includes "familiar names" like : Jabari Bird [Cal] : Dakarai Allen [San Diego State] : Tyler Dorsey [Oregon] : Bennie Boatwright [USC] : Chance Comanche [Arizona] : De'Ron Davis [Indiana] ... among many others.

So they are definitely trying to reach out and snag the best players that they can, It's just so difficult! In fact, back in 2014/2015 CU had extended offers to another 10 recruits, six of whom were in the Top 100, before (this is conjecture on my part) they kind of finally had to settle in on two lower rated recruits in Akyazili and Guzonjic.

CU doesn't deserve Tad Boyle after reading through a lot of this. Tad has worked his butt off to build this program. If we didn't lost our big man to injury and had Battey, this team jumps up a tier.

I agree. Untimely suspensions and injuries are a killer. Tory Miller-Stewart would have been a huge help and by all accounts, this Evan Battey kid can -evidently- dominate and would have apparently been their best player on the court. Even better than Mc Wright and George King. Tad Boyle has even hinted towards that about Battey, I didn't just pull that out of thin air.

So when you really break things down, CU not only is without Miller-Stewart, which regardless of his production is still a big body lost. Then when you consider that they may also be without a kid who could -perhaps- be their best player or at least one of their best players, and on top of everything else - is another BIG body lost, it's no wonder why this team appears to be struggling and not quite as good as it should be.

Last edited:
Back