What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What is your favorite tailgate beer?

i like coors light if it is a hot and sunny day and i am going to be having them over an extended period of time.

once it is cold outside, i like the stronger stuff-- a nice hoppy beer from stone brewery is always good.

We have at least one keg of homebrew flowing through a jockey box every tailgate. Depending on style, we may also have an randalizer stuffed with fresh hops, citrus, other aromatics to give us two varieties.
Pro-level shjt right here

ska modus hoperandi from durango....kind of my "got to".
had a lagunitas phase for a bit but i like to buy Colorado.

So many Coors drinkers in here. That just bums me out. You deserve better people.

Sunshine Wheat, Upslope Lager, Dry Dock Amber Ale, Breckenridge Agave Wheat... this is Colorado, we've got too good of beer to settle for macro.

So many Coors drinkers in here. That just bums me out. You deserve better people.

Sunshine Wheat, Upslope Lager, Dry Dock Amber Ale, Breckenridge Agave Wheat... this is Colorado, we've got too good of beer to settle for macro.
That **** is expensive though. It's amazing don't get me wrong but if I'm slamming beers before a football game coors is the way to go.

So basically because they ferment it, it doesn't matter that the source was HCFS instead of sugar? No, not buying that.
There aren't any legitimate sources stating that Coors uses HFCS in their beer. They admittedly use corn as an adjunct, which is used in many beers. There are many forms of corn which don't include HFCS.

There aren't any legitimate sources stating that Coors uses HFCS in their beer. They admittedly use corn as an adjunct, which is used in many beers. There are many forms of corn which don't include HFCS.
If they didn't use it, why wouldn't they just deny it?

And which is it - I thought in your last post you were saying it is okay because the HCFS ferments, but now you are saying there is no proof they use it?

If they didn't use it, why wouldn't they just deny it?

And which is it - I thought in your last post you were saying it is okay because the HCFS ferments, but now you are saying there is no proof they use it?
Both.

HFCS hysteria is ridiculous to begin with. Even if they added it to beer, it would be metabolized by the yeast and wouldn't exist in the finished product. There isn't a reason for them to add it. Coors Light isn't a product like cider that is often backsweetened post fermentation. The alcohol in Coors Light would be more detrimental to your health than any alleged HFCS.

Secondly, Coors did respond and listed the ingredients in Coors Light. http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/busine...ingredients-revealed-for-first-time-1.1866132

That blog food babe also says that beer has glycol in it. Glycol is used in breweries to chill fermenters and beer and does not end up in contact with the beer. Beer production is regulated by the TTB. All of the ingredients have to be approved. There is quite a bit of information as to what can and cannot be in a commercial beer.

I have no dog in the fight. I don't drink Coors Light because I think that it is a ****ty beer. There are a lot of people out there who put out information that is either half true or patently false because they are pushing an agenda.

Both.

HFCS hysteria is ridiculous to begin with. Even if they added it to beer, it would be metabolized by the yeast and wouldn't exist in the finished product. There isn't a reason for them to add it. Coors Light isn't a product like cider that is often backsweetened post fermentation. The alcohol in Coors Light would be more detrimental to your health than any alleged HFCS.

Secondly, Coors did respond and listed the ingredients in Coors Light. http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/busine...ingredients-revealed-for-first-time-1.1866132

That blog food babe also says that beer has glycol in it. Glycol is used in breweries to chill fermenters and beer and does not end up in contact with the beer. Beer production is regulated by the TTB. All of the ingredients have to be approved. There is quite a bit of information as to what can and cannot be in a commercial beer.

I have no dog in the fight. I don't drink Coors Light because I think that it is a ****ty beer. There are a lot of people out there who put out information that is either half true or patently false because they are pushing an agenda.
Further research in to this topic proves their initial release was bull****. They don't use corn, they use a "liquid based corn adjunct that isn't HFCS". What the hell does that mean?

Yes, it is piss water. And highly processed piss water with bizarre additives that we don't understand at that.

http://www.thebeerbabe.com/2014/06/...ors-bow-to-blogger-pressure-list-ingredients/

This is the exact reason I have moved on from it.

Both.

Correct. No way glycol comes into contact with the beer. Everyone would quickly develop kidney failure if it did.

St. Bernardus ABT 12 is perhaps the best beer ever made. Belgian Beer that is hard to find.
I prefer Rochefort 10.

More on topic, however: Oskar Blues Beerito is probably my favorite "session" beer at the moment. Packs a lot of flavor for a 4 percent beer.

Free beer is my favorite (in trade for some good eats I brought), but if they're out, I'll have a banquet.

Further research in to this topic proves their initial release was bull****. They don't use corn, they use a "liquid based corn adjunct that isn't HFCS". What the hell does that mean?

Yes, it is piss water. And highly processed piss water with bizarre additives that we don't understand at that.

http://www.thebeerbabe.com/2014/06/...ors-bow-to-blogger-pressure-list-ingredients/

This is the exact reason I have moved on from it.
Not to belabor the issue but the brewer in me feels inclined to explain what they are talking about. It's corn starch that has been converted to sugar by enzymatic activity. Grains store the energy for the seed in the form of starch. When the grain or kernel of corn is planted, the growing process starts by enzymes converting the starch into sugar that is usable by the plant. The mashing process in brewing mimics this process. Corn does not have a lot of diastatic power (the ability to convert starch to sugar) so it is typical cooked to soften the kernel and to gelatanize the starches, making them easier to convert. Enzymes are then added, either by mixing the gelatanize corn with barley malt that has enough diastatic power to convert the starches in the barley and corn into sugars, or on an industrial scale, they add the enzymes themselves which do all of the work. Their "liquid based corn adjunct" is most likely corn starch that has been converted to sugar and is in liquid form after collection.

Getting back into form at ODU games this year, and if I'm smart, rolling with Founders All Day IPA or Yeungling is the best move.
But, invariably I'm not smart an start throwing back something like Uinta Hop Nosh and then I'm glad I have the twins with me as designated drivers.

Not to belabor the issue but the brewer in me feels inclined to explain what they are talking about. It's corn starch that has been converted to sugar by enzymatic activity. Grains store the energy for the seed in the form of starch. When the grain or kernel of corn is planted, the growing process starts by enzymes converting the starch into sugar that is usable by the plant. The mashing process in brewing mimics this process. Corn does not have a lot of diastatic power (the ability to convert starch to sugar) so it is typical cooked to soften the kernel and to gelatanize the starches, making them easier to convert. Enzymes are then added, either by mixing the gelatanize corn with barley malt that has enough diastatic power to convert the starches in the barley and corn into sugars, or on an industrial scale, they add the enzymes themselves which do all of the work. Their "liquid based corn adjunct" is most likely corn starch that has been converted to sugar and is in liquid form after collection.
"Most likely" is where your argument breaks down. They are intentionally obfuscating the truth. Why?

"Most likely" is where your argument breaks down. They are intentionally obfuscating the truth. Why?
Most likely is my opinion. Take off the tin foil hat. If you don't like their beer don't drink it but stop regurgitating false information.

Most likely is my opinion. Take off the tin foil hat. If you don't like their beer don't drink it but stop regurgitating false information.
You have yet to provide anything that disputes it, so I am not sure why you keep attempting to defend it.

You have yet to provide anything that disputes it, so I am not sure why you keep attempting to defend it.
So if I state that you like to toss Buffsurveyor's salad and you do not disprove it, it must be true? Good logic there.

Judging by what people have been bringing to the tailgates: Coors Light.

So if I state that you like to toss Buffsurveyor's salad and you do not disprove it, it must be true? Good logic there.
Dude... I am not sure what else to tell you.

A well known (maybe not well regarded, but well known) food evangelist posts that they use HCFS. That's not me making something up for starters. So please figure out what point you want to argue - this would be the 3rd new tactic.

1) The first was that you say it doesn't matter if they do because it ferments.
2) Secondly, you then say they don't use it and they only use base ingredients (From their blog post).
3) When I call bull**** on that, discovering they use ""liquid based corn adjunct that isn't HFCS" (I still don't know what that is, and it proves they lied), you say "most likely" it is from corn starch, but you can't prove it.

So basically this is what we know:
1) They don't just use straight natural ingredients and they lied about it
2) It appears they may not use HCFS, but we don't know what liquid based corn adjunct is
3) You are now arguing your third new point (that I started this whole thing with something I made up) - and you are wrong about that, too

Why you have a hard on for defending a lying CPG company and don't want to do it with facts, I have no idea. In other words, stop making stuff up...

Last edited:
Back