What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What makes you think this team will ever improve under the current regime and system?

Re: What makes you think this team will ever improve under the current regime and sys

I suppose I always try to remain keenly aware of this program's history and similar situations to where we are today.

Coach Mac easily could have been fired after 1984, or even 1985, and he had very few supporters. Sticking with him could have been deemed "insane" at the time, but if we hadn't we would not have our NC or all of the glory from 1986-1996.

The program looked to be in bad shape after 2000, and essentially the same team who was 3-8 that season turned it around and nearly competed for the NC the very next year.

Football is all fundamentals and desire. Block, tackle, and want it more than the other guy. I believe that we have enough talent right now to be successful and compete for trophies. We just need to turn the corner mentally, and I still think the team has the ability to do that under Hawk.

I am with you 100%. I have been saying the same things for weeks and getting murderlized for it.

Re: What makes you think this team will ever improve under the current regime and sys

I suppose I always try to remain keenly aware of this program's history and similar situations to where we are today.

Coach Mac easily could have been fired after 1984, or even 1985, and he had very few supporters. Sticking with him could have been deemed "insane" at the time, but if we hadn't we would not have our NC or all of the glory from 1986-1996.

The program looked to be in bad shape after 2000, and essentially the same team who was 3-8 that season turned it around and nearly competed for the NC the very next year.

Football is all fundamentals and desire. Block, tackle, and want it more than the other guy. I believe that we have enough talent right now to be successful and compete for trophies. We just need to turn the corner mentally, and I still think the team has the ability to do that under Hawk.

With all due respect, comparing this team to '00 is a strecth at this point. The '00 team was losing, but was in every game excepting KSU, who went 11-2 and beat Tenn in their bowl game. AT NO POINT WAS THE '00 TEAM GETTING BEAT BY MULTIPLE TD'S TO MAC TEAMS. Now having gotten that off my chest, IF CU plays the rest of the way comeptitively and beats some decent teams along the way, then we can talk. But there has to be some real signs of life before you sell me this "we're gonna pop" nonsense....

This is a very valid argument, and sticking with Mac paid off big time.

My problem with this argument, though, is that 99% of the time, what you see is what you get. For every Mac, there are 10 coaches with losing records that deserve those losing records. The chances of catching lightning in a bottle twice by following the "just one more year" approach is pretty small.

Mac had a plan, the plan was obvious. He stuck to the plan and made it work. Mac also had much more lenient recruiting restrictions to deal with, and an AD that helped get some players that might not otherwise qualify. There were a lot of factors that went into Mac's success that just aren't in place anymore.

I completely agree with everything you say in your last paragraph. We have the talent to be a solid team. We severely lack speed, although, that seems to be turning around with some of the younger players on D like Major and Rippy. We've just had to "turn the corner mentally" for the last 2 years, and the coaches haven't shown any ability to do that.

Here's hoping lightning strikes and they show something the rest of this season!

Can i sign up without opening a paypal account.

Yes. You can use a credit card. Paypal handles the payments but a PayPal account is not required.

If you click the the "Order Using Paypal" button you will be presented with this option as well..

"Don't have a PayPal account? Use your credit card or bank account."

I am curious as to what reasons the few Hawkins supporters on this board have for thinking that this team is going to be dramatically better next year, or ever.

Going into last year, it was supposed to be "the year". This year was supposed to be "the year". Now, next year is going to be "the year". Only for sure, this time. Why?

What are the strengths of this coaching staff? Recruiting is getting worse every year. The offense is one of the worst I have ever seen at any level of football. The defense this year is as bad as I have seen in the past 6 years; even in the lean years, I always felt our defense was respectable and more often than not sold out by the offense's ineptitude. Not sure if that is the case this year. The personnel selections are still head-scratchers. The play-calling on both sides of the ball still leaves quite a bit to be desired.

We do not appear to have a legitimate D1 (not big12, D1) quarterback on the roster. I can not say with any sincerity that I recall this team having a clearly better QB than any team we have played in the past two years. The only time it has even been debatable is against the Wyoming's and CSU's of the world. Against Big 12 teams - even KSU and ISU - we have been at a clear disadvantage.

My biggest concern is no longer the quality of the team - clearly, they simply are underwhelming in that department - but the lack of any kind of visible progress or improvement. The OL doesn't really look better than it did last year; quite a contrast to expectations, considering that even sportswriters who rarely have a reason to notice CU were predicting them to be very good this year. The QB play, bottom line, has probably gotten worse. The WRs are still the least athletic, least threatening group of skill position players in the conference.

Where is the progress? Where is the improvement? Why is this team magically going to get better next year?

This is not a post to flame or to bash Hawkins. I am sincerely asking what are the reasons for expecting improvement next year? I don't see them. The running game? The coaches have made it clear that they are not going to hang their hat on the running game.

Ok..I'll tell you why...err...ahh...well **** it!!! Hawk sucks...fire his ass!!!:thumbsup:

I think many (including me) have overestimated the talent on this roster. It is decent enough to go about 6-6 in a conference like the Big 12, but not nearly good enough to compete for trophies. Our team speed is still a major issue four years in and the recruiting is getting worse each year.

I feel your pain.

I'm new to CU football, but it seems to be in a similar state as BYU football was during the Gary Crowton era. Excuse after excuse every press conference. Rumors that players had given up on him and didn't respect him. Loosing to teams trying to out scheme them instead of just running over them.

All I can say is that a coaching change makes all the difference.

I am curious as to what reasons the few Hawkins supporters on this board have for thinking that this team is going to be dramatically better next year, or ever.

Going into last year, it was supposed to be "the year". This year was supposed to be "the year". Now, next year is going to be "the year". Only for sure, this time. Why?

What are the strengths of this coaching staff? Recruiting is getting worse every year. The offense is one of the worst I have ever seen at any level of football. The defense this year is as bad as I have seen in the past 6 years; even in the lean years, I always felt our defense was respectable and more often than not sold out by the offense's ineptitude. Not sure if that is the case this year. The personnel selections are still head-scratchers. The play-calling on both sides of the ball still leaves quite a bit to be desired.

We do not appear to have a legitimate D1 (not big12, D1) quarterback on the roster. I can not say with any sincerity that I recall this team having a clearly better QB than any team we have played in the past two years. The only time it has even been debatable is against the Wyoming's and CSU's of the world. Against Big 12 teams - even KSU and ISU - we have been at a clear disadvantage.

My biggest concern is no longer the quality of the team - clearly, they simply are underwhelming in that department - but the lack of any kind of visible progress or improvement. The OL doesn't really look better than it did last year; quite a contrast to expectations, considering that even sportswriters who rarely have a reason to notice CU were predicting them to be very good this year. The QB play, bottom line, has probably gotten worse. The WRs are still the least athletic, least threatening group of skill position players in the conference.

Where is the progress? Where is the improvement? Why is this team magically going to get better next year?

This is not a post to flame or to bash Hawkins. I am sincerely asking what are the reasons for expecting improvement next year? I don't see them. The running game? The coaches have made it clear that they are not going to hang their hat on the running game.

I think many (including me) have overestimated the talent on this roster. It is decent enough to go about 6-6 in a conference like the Big 12, but not nearly good enough to compete for trophies. Our team speed is still a major issue four years in and the recruiting is getting worse each year.

Maybe you're right and I'm still overestimating, but we should win 3 of 4 OOC games, 3 to 5 in the North and a couple in the South, considering our youth, and if we had above average coaching. Right up until the 2nd half started against CSU, I thought we might have that kind of coaching, but then the "have to RS Hansen mantra" was cemented. I still cannot fathom what made burning his true freshman year okay, but now he has to RS.

I don't think so. I'm convinced there is talent on this team. Adequate talent to compete with just about anybody save for OU and UT in this conference. And even enough to pull the occassional upset against those teams. We have talent, we don't have depth. Look up and down the roster and it's filled with guys who could play anywhere - Scott, Simas, Deehan, Miller, MTM, Givens, Polk, Kasa, Obi (wtf is up with him?), Major. All of these guys were 4* or better coming out of high school from what I can recall. That's pretty darn good. It's not a talent issue. It's what we're doing with the talent we have.

I don't think so. I'm convinced there is talent on this team. Adequate talent to compete with just about anybody save for OU and UT in this conference. And even enough to pull the occassional upset against those teams. We have talent, we don't have depth. Look up and down the roster and it's filled with guys who could play anywhere - Scott, Simas, Deehan, Miller, MTM, Givens, Polk, Kasa, Obi (wtf is up with him?), Major. All of these guys were 4* or better coming out of high school from what I can recall. That's pretty darn good. It's not a talent issue. It's what we're doing with the talent we have.

Compete? Perhaps. Win more than 4 or so conference games a year? Not really.

We have some talent, but for as much credit as Hawkins gets for his recruiting, I see gaping holes on this team.

We have some talent, but for as much credit as Hawkins gets for his recruiting, I see gaping holes on this team.
Maybe you should become the coach. You have it all figured out. :smile2: So, where are the "gaping holes?" I'm not arguing that there are problems, but I just want to know where you think the "gaping holes" are. Gaping?

Maybe you should become the coach. You have it all figured out. :smile2:

You don't have to be a coach to see this team has major issues at QB, WR, and on the DL.

This team will not take the next step on defense unless the DL recruiting improves a lot. Bandison has really been underwhelming. The QB and WR issues have been covered extensively, so I'll skip those.

One other point to ponder is that next year's schedule is more difficult. So the team could end up being better and it still will not matter in the W/L column.

You don't have to be a coach to see this team has major issues at QB, WR, and on the DL.

This team will not take the next step on defense unless the DL recruiting improves a lot. Bandison has really been underwhelming. The QB and WR issues have been covered extensively, so I'll skip those.

One other point to ponder is that next year's schedule is more difficult. So the team could end up being better and it still will not matter in the W/L column.
Well, if I were a positive guy, I'd say our WR's are a half season to year away and that our DL is a year away. As for QB, I think Hansen red shirting is a great thing and he will take over next year.

Well, if I were a positive guy, I'd say our WR's are a half season to year away and that our DL is a year away. As for QB, I think Hansen red shirting is a great thing and he will take over next year.

I can buy the WRs part. It could very well be true.

I cannot buy the DL outlook. Sure, we're young right now, but the depth is pretty much non-existent. Not to mention player development seems to be an issue there.

I also believe there is about a 1% chance (if that) of Hansen being the starter next season. You do not give Cody all the chances the coaches have, only to bench him for his senior year.

Last edited:

We all know the weaknesses of this team. Its not my place to speak of where these guys are gonna be or can be here soon. Thats up to them, if they wanna be great, they gotta put in that kind of work. if they wanna be what they are, then ok, we should go in a different direction. What it comes down too is, at one point in time, u have to look in the mirror and be accountable. All ive heard is all this crap and excuses. These guys need to step the hell up and bring it and remember whats on their chest. They should look up to Speedy, let me telll yall something, that guy brings it every play even if nothing is there. Sorry venting a little.

4 conference games a year? Seriously? OU and UT only show up on the schedule once a year. That's one game out of 8 that they play every year. You mean to say that they can only go .500 against the rest of the league?

Not buying it. At least on paper, we should win 6-7 league games every year.

Hey Boulder why dont we fire Hawk and bring Barnett back? That would work, nice to know we came back to Earth. As they say, these arent your dad's Buffaloes, I never saw nothing like this.

Pretty much, when I see a post begin "When Juicebox was hired....", I don't read it. Sorry, I cannot come up with a clean adjective here, so I'll just shut up. I pretty much am imagining 16 or 17 year old idots here, however.

how about pumpkinhead or country bumpkin?

Yes. You can use a credit card. Paypal handles the payments but a PayPal account is not required.

If you click the the "Order Using Paypal" button you will be presented with this option as well..

"Don't have a PayPal account? Use your credit card or bank account."
Sweet! Did not know that.....

they will start cheating.

4 conference games a year? Seriously? OU and UT only show up on the schedule once a year. That's one game out of 8 that they play every year. You mean to say that they can only go .500 against the rest of the league?

Not buying it. At least on paper, we should win 6-7 league games every year.

Why don't we work on catching other North teams before we entertain this notion of UT or OU. You keep talking about those two teams, we need to be worrying about KU, MU, and NU. They have all passed us and do not appear to be slowing down.

I'm not saying it is unrealistic to win more than 4 conference games a year, but there needs to be a talent upgrade to accomplish that goal. The 2006 class was a wash, I do not hold that against Hawk. 2007 was decent, 2008 was great, and 2009 was a disappointment. Hitting the bullseye 1 out every 3 years in recruiting does not make a talented team. We should not be having the depth issues we are currently going through in year four. We might have some decent front-line starters, but the depth just is not there and that is needed if you want to win 6-7 conference games a year.

Hey Boulder why dont we fire Hawk and bring Barnett back? That would work, nice to know we came back to Earth. As they say, these arent your dad's Buffaloes, I never saw nothing like this.

Is this directed at me or just the city of Boulder in general?

I think many (including me) have overestimated the talent on this roster.

Bingo.. That's the main problem around here including many who believe that only a big time QB and a new coach will change everything.. FAT CHANCE.. We have many positions on the roster where we don't have any Big 12 caliber of players other than QB..

I would say RB is probably the only position that I can safely say we have legit Big 12 talent.. The others its not there or its unproven(OL)..

Bingo.. That's the main problem around here including many who believe that only a big time QB and a new coach will change everything.. FAT CHANCE.. We have many positions on the roster where we don't have any Big 12 caliber of players other than QB..

I would say RB is probably the only position that I can safely say we have legit Big 12 talent.. The others its not there or its unproven(OL)..

I would guarantee any team in the country would love to have Ryan Miller and Nate Solder on the line. They would also love to have our LB core...... or some of the depth we have in the secondary.

Bottom line is this.... Hawkins is totally out of excuses. He has had 4 years and it is time to produce. No more excuses PERIOD!!!!! Win or find a new job. We cannot wait for Hawkins to figure out how to play football in a big time conference.

I am curious as to what reasons the few Hawkins supporters on this board have for thinking that this team is going to be dramatically better next year, or ever....

This is not a post to flame or to bash Hawkins. I am sincerely asking what are the reasons for expecting improvement next year?

#1. I think the first sentence is in contradiction with the thread title.

(Hijacked Thread)

Anyway, I think the reason for optimism for the future lies in the hope of 'Hawk being gone. I think CU success and Coach 'Hawk are not synonymous....

Next year, I see a late December/early January Bowl game, so long as we have the right coach:thumbsup:

I would guarantee any team in the country would love to have Ryan Miller and Nate Solder on the line. They would also love to have our LB core...... or some of the depth we have in the secondary.

i think you are overestimating our talent.

Anyway, I think the reason for optimism for the future lies in the hope of 'Hawk being gone. I think CU success and Coach 'Hawk are not synonymous....

Next year, I see a late December/early January Bowl game, so long as we have the right coach:thumbsup:

Concur! :nod:

i think you are overestimating our talent.

Seriously. I'm not saying we are devoid of talent, but the comment about the LBs and DBs is just not true IMO. We have some good players in both units, but I could name several teams that are faster/more athletic/deeper at those positions than we are at the moment.

Not impressed (so far) with our OL or DBs, supposedly two team strengths. WVU will be another big test for the DL and DBs.

Because coaches are aware that many important improvements are not necessarily apparent or even visible to fans of the team, or even to the coaches themselves sometimes. Then, often several years down the line in the new coach's career at the new school, those improvements suddenly become apparent on the field, in games.

Back