What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What would it take for you to be pro-Dorrell?

This is basically where our group is at. 8 of us have season tickets together, 4 have already dropped. We’re unsure what our plan is, but no more donations, lunches, whatever lame BS the AD comes up with. Our entire Athletic Department is borderline apathetic with ALL of their programs. Social media presence is non-existent and disconnected. Very little by way of attempts to engage students, etc… my issues are more with the AD than anywhere else.

I do have a hell of a lot of respect for the commitment that student athletes undertake while getting an education, so it’s difficult to decide to stop showing up. My kids are 6 and 8 and love going to all types of games, so that factors into keeping seats as well. I don’t know what next season holds, but the University better step it’s game up, or they run the risk of losing even the die hards to any number of the other options people have to spend money on.
I have a pretty simple expectation of the teams I follow in sports (CU and pretty much every Denver franchise outside of the Rockies): Act like you give a **** about winning and are willing to do what it takes to win. CU clearly doesn't.

Last edited:
The only games I went to this past year this year were because I had friends coming in from out of town that wanted to link up. I had seen what I needed to see last year - I understood the debacle of getting trounced in our last 2 games after missing ASU and USC on our schedule.

That won’t change going forward.

I haven't known anything else my entire life other than tailgating and going to every CU home game regardless of what else is going on. People know I won't come to their event if there's a CU game going on at the same time unless it's away and I can watch it on tv/phone while at said event. I also don't want be part of the reason that student athletes show up to games and see a half empty or worse stadium (and I don't judge if you decide not to go to games, it's just not for me).

Now, I don't think I'll start turning down event invites just because of a CU game. It's not total apathy but it's a big step towards there from where I have been in the past.

While probably not to the level as many of you, my Sunday's were wrapped around pro football, and my Saturday's were wrapped around at a minimum, watching the Buffs on TV if not going to a game or two each year.

For different reasons I quit the NFL a few years ago. Having Sunday free was amazing. After working all week I had things I could do. This year I made the switch to listening to the Buffs on radio.I could still do what I was wanting to do, and I love listening to Barnett's analysis of the game. By the end of this season, I was not even making sure I had the game time burned into my head. It was like, oh sheet, the Buffs are on and I'd turn on the radio and it would be halftime.

I really don't see myself giving up on CU football 100% like I did the NFL, but it sure isn't going in the right direction.

It's going to take one solid winning season, and I'm not talking 6 wins and going to the Rachel Maddow/Sean Hannity bowl as a solid season, to get me thinking about reversing my course.

This is basically where our group is at. 8 of us have season tickets together, 4 have already dropped. We’re unsure what our plan is, but no more donations, lunches, whatever lame BS the AD comes up with. Our entire Athletic Department is borderline apathetic with ALL of their programs. Social media presence is non-existent and disconnected. Very little by way of attempts to engage students, etc… my issues are more with the AD than anywhere else.

I do have a hell of a lot of respect for the commitment that student athletes undertake while getting an education, so it’s difficult to decide to stop showing up. My kids are 6 and 8 and love going to all types of games, so that factors into keeping seats as well. I don’t know what next season holds, but the University better step it’s game up, or they run the risk of losing even the die hards to any number of the other options people have to spend money on.
I think they, the AD, are lost right now. Unlike when McCartney was brought in any team had a decent chance to get better. Today the game is very different right now: There is a strong and growing imbalance between the leagues. Loose Transfer Rules are making it hard to build rosters. Players can now chase money too. The NCAA has become largely toothless. There is no real effort to level things and create nore competition. The TV money is creating clear haves and have nots. The SEC and ESPN are actively trying to build a monopoly.

I'm a sucker and a masochist so I'm going to keep watching. I still watch the Rockies, so pain is nothing new to me. That said...I definitely feel like we on the precipice of perpetual suckage. There is a feedback loop between winning and recruiting, and we are stuck in a vicious cycle of you can't win if you can't recruit and you can't recruit if you can't win. This program can't sustain more losing. We are staring straight down at the abyss. I fear that we are dangerously close to becoming another Kansas or K-State.

I don't hate KD. If anything I mostly feel bad for him. He's in an extremely tough position. I don't think that he's a good head coach, but there are lots of good head coaches that would struggle with this job. He was last at this university in 1998. This place was a lot different then. I really wonder if he understood how difficult this job would be.

Some people might hate this perspective, but...

I think that the last hope for this program to become nationally relevant again is to go all in on Eric Bieniemy. Obviously this conversation changes if he gets a HC job in the NFL next season, but unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen. I know, I get it. There are lots of reasons to be skeptical of bringing in an NFL guy...that said, we need a program changing hire. We need someone that changes the conversation around this team. We need someone that can drive interest from top recruits, that can put Colorado football back on the map again.

I think EB is the only realistic candidate for this university that can do this. A lot of coaches don't want this job. There's a reason why we keep hiring retreads and guys that have failed other places, those are the only people willing to come here. Unless we somehow find the next Bill Snyder EB might be our only hope. If he is available during our next HC search we have to go all out at bringing him in, idk what else to do at this point.

Last edited:
I'm a sucker and a masochist so I'm going to keep watching. I still watch the Rockies, so pain is nothing new to me. That said...I definitely feel like we on the precipice of perpetual suckage. There is a feedback loop between winning and recruiting, and we are stuck in a vicious cycle of you can't win if you can't recruit and you can't recruit if you can't win. This program can't sustain more losing. We are staring straight down at the abyss. I fear that we are dangerously close to becoming another Kansas or K-State.

I don't hate KD. If anything I mostly feel bad for him. He's in an extremely tough position. I don't think that he's a good head coach, but there are lots of good head coaches that would struggle with this job. He was last at this university in 1998. This place was a lot different then. I really wonder if he understood how difficult this job would be.

Some people might hate this perspective, but...

I think that the last hope for this program to become nationally relevant again is to go all in on Eric Bieniemy. Obviously this conversation changes if he gets a HC job in the NFL next season, but unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen. I know, I get it. There are lots of reasons to be skeptical of bringing in an NFL guy...that said, we need a program changing hire. We need someone that changes the conversation around this team. We need someone that can drive interest from top recruits, that can put Colorado football back on the map again.

I think EB is the only realistic candidate for this university that can do this. A lot of coaches don't want this job. There's a reason why we keep hiring retreads and guys that have failed other places, those are the only people willing to come here. Unless we somehow find the next Bill Snyder EB might be our only hope. If he is available during our next HC search we have to go all out at bringing him in, idk what else to do at this point.
Eb had his shot as oc here...bombed out along with embree...he doesn't call plays in kc no matter what his title is..andy Reid calls the plays..eb is simply a RB coach and that's why he still isn't a HC in any league....this idea that the only good coach has to have ties to cu is way off..Everytime we go down that rabbit hole we get the shaft. Change is need from the president of the university all the way down...get a good ad first and start to value athletics...find a good head coach from lower division or install a gimmick offense to use talent no one else wants or to effectively use the guys you can get...part of being a good coach is changing your scheme to fit your personnel, not the other way around...fact is this issue with football is due to Rick George and lance Carl ..they suck at their jobs, they whiffed on tucker and struck out with dorrell and when the buffs win 1 or 2 games this year and they fire this half a** coaching staff, those two jokes will be hiring coach number 3 and I can guarantee they will pick someone just as horrific...they don't care to put in the work so they hire guys that do the same, dorrell shows no emotion and just looks like he's clueless and disinterested and would rather be doing anything, anywhere else anytime he's seen in public...he is so inept he couldn't even see how bad the ol was..he had no idea of line concepts and no clue how to fix the issues...I'm done with this narrative of the coach needs cu ties....we've tried that..it doesn't work ..put some money into football and go get a real coach.

Eb had his shot as oc here...bombed out along with embree...he doesn't call plays in kc no matter what his title is..andy Reid calls the plays..eb is simply a RB coach and that's why he still isn't a HC in any league....this idea that the only good coach has to have ties to cu is way off..Everytime we go down that rabbit hole we get the shaft. Change is need from the president of the university all the way down...get a good ad first and start to value athletics...find a good head coach from lower division or install a gimmick offense to use talent no one else wants or to effectively use the guys you can get...part of being a good coach is changing your scheme to fit your personnel, not the other way around...fact is this issue with football is due to Rick George and lance Carl ..they suck at their jobs, they whiffed on tucker and struck out with dorrell and when the buffs win 1 or 2 games this year and they fire this half a** coaching staff, those two jokes will be hiring coach number 3 and I can guarantee they will pick someone just as horrific...they don't care to put in the work so they hire guys that do the same, dorrell shows no emotion and just looks like he's clueless and disinterested and would rather be doing anything, anywhere else anytime he's seen in public...he is so inept he couldn't even see how bad the ol was..he had no idea of line concepts and no clue how to fix the issues...I'm done with this narrative of the coach needs cu ties....we've tried that..it doesn't work ..put some money into football and go get a real coach.
I'm with you on EB. But I thought Midnight Mel was a good hire and not a "whiff" at all. The level of coaching and recruiting that Mel brought to the program was more than adequate, IMO. The problem is, can CU keep a guy around that has success? I think the answer to that question in today's world is probably "No".

At least a 7 win regular season next year and 8 the next and then we can talk about becoming pro-Dorrell. No more one year wonders. I want to see true, prolonged improvement.

If KD takes us to a bowl game in either of the next two years, I think he'll get a new contract extension unless there's a major organizational change at CU with a new Prez & Chancellor.

Press release will be something like, "CU football made 2 bowl games in the 14 years before Coach Dorrell arrived. He has led the Buffs to 2 bowl games in his first 4 seasons."

If KD takes us to a bowl game in either of the next two years, I think he'll get a new contract extension unless there's a major organizational change at CU with a new Prez & Chancellor.

Press release will be something like, "CU football made 2 bowl games in the 14 years before Coach Dorrell arrived. He has led the Buffs to 2 bowl games in his first 4 seasons."
Tired Presidential Debate GIF by INTO ACTION

Thinking about a 5 win 2022 and a 6 win 2023, followed by a 4 year contract extension for Dorrell is the stuff of nightmares, so thanks for that.

Cardboard will be fired by end of 2023 at the latest. Enjoy your free Saturdays until then.

When he shows anything, and I don't blame him for all of it. This is systemic failure, a lot of heads need to roll with this. Too bad I'm not confident it will happen, but I hope to be wrong.

You are the kind of guy that tells somebody the dog dies in Sounder.

I'm tired of yelling at clouds and hoping CU is something it has proven over and over that it's not.
I am in the same boat. I am impatient. I am tired of trying to talk myself into believing. But for all that is holy on Flagstaff Mountain, suggesting HCKD gets an extension is a real gut punch.

I have been a season ticket holder - either as a student or alum - since 1985. Travelled to an away games and bowl games almost every year.

Moved away from Colorado this year, so I figured I would stream the Buffs games, and maybe even catch them in person in Eugene. I ended up not listening to more than a few quarters on XM while I was on my way to do something fun.

True story: I popped into a bar with my wife last month, and there were a bunch of people in Oregon State gear getting way into the game. I wasn't even aware of who the Buffs' opponent - or what their game time was - that week. When the Buffs pulled out the win in OT, it didn't even move the needle. I mostly just had a chuckle with the Beav fans about the joys of being stuck in the lower levels of P5 football.

I can barely be bothered to open CU football threads here. It's just a lot more fun to not give a ****. My ambivalence actually extends to all of college football, and I used to love it so much.

Does any of this make me sad or nostalgic? It really doesn't. This has been one the best falls that I can remember.

I am still a Buffs basketball fan, btw. Roll Tad.

Back