1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where did it start?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Unleash Hell, Oct 2, 2009.

?

Start of our fall?

1. Recruiting scandal

63 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. 05 late season collapse

26 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Montana St.

15 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. Other

21 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

What was the beginning of our downfall that we can't recover from?

Was it the off field recruiting scandal that really hurt this program the most? Was it The late season collapse in 2005 where a 7-2 and #22 Buff team (our last ranking) fell on the road to ISU and went on to an embarrasing loss to NU at home followed by 70-3 against Texas in the CCG? Or if you are still a huge Barnett supporter, was it when Hawk took over and lost to Montana state?

2. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

The '05 collapse. True '06 still would have been difficult w/ the talent that was there, but if CU finishes '05 strong (by beating Iowa State and Nebraska, as they should have, lose to Texas not nearly as big, win bowl game vs. whoever), the team would have finished ranked. Plus, Barnett goes out and recruits one or two QBs (probably a JC to play on '06, and one or two to develop for '07 and beyond) and we don't start from square one with Hawk.

The problem with the program is that the evisceration that occurred at the end of '05 led to having to start from square one, and the current leadership hasn't left the station yet. We're still at square one. Going into the Iowa State game in '05, we were 7-2 and ranked. We are 14-30 since then.

3. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Recruiting scandal. The collapse was a result of the scandal, I think.

4. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I think it all goes back to the the recruiting scandal

5. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

We could have recovered from the scandals. Look at how many teams have scandals that are forgotten within a year or two because of their on-field successes.

The end of season collapse in 2005 sucked the hope out of the program, IMO. The confidence just seemed to evaporate. It affected recruiting big time, it was a large part of the reason Barnett and Co. were fired and Hawkins was brought in. Barnett knew he was ****-canned then and the whole program was on lame duck status.

The combination of the scandal and the performance that year was a one-two punch that knocked us out cold.

Of course, there was hope under Hawkins' first year but his misguided coaching and failure to address recruiting holes have only prolonged our misery.

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Recruiting scandal. Not because of any immediate impact on the team. More because it changed the entire dynamic of the faculty & administrative relationship with the AD. We haven't had institutional support for our athletic programs since then (not that it was great before then) and rules were even put in place that hampered recruiting. If you do the math, 2005 was simply the last year we had players recruited before the scandal and there was very little depth in the classes behind them.

7. ScottyBuff

8. SkiTownUSA

SkiTownUSA Administrator Club Member Junta Member

I'll go with scandal. I don't think all the problems we have now are a result of it however. But that is when everything began to turn sour.

9. Waldo

Waldo Original Copy Club Member

when we hired the wrong coach

10. buffwings

buffwings Club Member Club Member

the recruiting scandal that NEVER was, the school tying Barnett's hands, that he got lazy because he saw he could not win, it was then perpetuated by a mistake in the next HC hire.

11. Spider

Spider Member

That's the way it looked from here.

12. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

Montana State. That games should have showed us we had the wrong coach.

With the "scandal", getting killed by UT, whatever, we had plenty of talent to beat Montana State. That was the first of many games that showed Juicebox does not have the ability to get teams ready to play.

13. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

i am going to all historical and say that, technically, it all started when Mac retired.

when Mac retired, the search committee decided to limit the search to in-house candidates only. this meant only simmons and skippy were seriously considered for the job. that was a huge ****ing mistake that we are still suffering from. at that point, the program was at its historical best, with great ****ing players across the board. had they brought in another big time coach (and believe me, there would have been guys lining up for the job at that time), then we'd be looking at a different program today.

instead, they handed the program to ****ing skippy who burned down the foundations that made it so ****ing good. then, when he skulked off to washington, they ****ed up the search again. they thought they had koob and he balked. so, again, instead of opening a wide search, they panicked and hired barnett as a desperation plan b guy.

without the recruiting scandal, we would never have hit this fairbanks level of low, but if they hadn't ****ed up the coaching search after Mac, we'd still be an elite program.

that's my 2 ****ing cents. gawd, i am depressed. how do these ****heads still have jobs today?

66BUFF likes this.
  14. ScottyBuff

It's too bad Les Miles didn't stay "in-house" then.

Coulda shoulda woulda.

We have had 15 years since then, they should have been able to make at least 1 right coaching hire since then.

15. Liver

he asked where it all started. i answered.

yeah, we "shoulda" made at least 1 good hire since then but we haven't.

oklahoma has EVERYTHING we don't have. and it took them 3 tries to get stoops and a decade of relative crappiness.

usc has EVERYTHING we don't have. it took them about 3 tries to get carroll and over a decade of relative crappiness.

bama has no ****ing soul at all and would hire lucifer and pay him 5mm a year if it meant they'd be elite again and look how many times they missed on coaching hires over the last 20 years.

it isn't easy to get it right. i just wish we'd have done a better job of at least putting ourselves in position to get it right.

this next hire is going to be ****ing challenging. we are a dog **** program now that hasn't tasted success in 8 ****ing years. we've got no ****ing money. that means they are going to probably have to take a gamble again on yet another unproven mutha****er. i so hope i am wrong on this. i want them to step up and get someone good. they are being penny-wise and pound-foolish. we need to invest in the ****ing program if we want to see if flourish. that means more financial and academic support.

damn, i hate this ****.

16. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Which time?!?

17. ScottyBuff

Didn't mean to come off as sarcastic a-hole. I was following your train of thought but didn't come across in my post.

I guess all the past program mistakes are just pissing me off just as much as the current coaching mistakes.

Either way I agree with you.

18. Liver

i didn't take your post as a-hole-like at all. i am pissed off and frustrated, too, about the state of the program.

these guys are a trainwreck.

19. ScottyBuff

Ditto.

Misery doesn't have to love company, but you've got it.

20. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

no.... a train wreck has speed before it crashes.....

87toInfinity likes this.
  21. 66BUFF

66BUFF FTW Club Member

beat me to it.

we had all the mo rolling our way in 94 and that ****ing albino screwed the pooch

22. Waldo

you can argue the last 3 but this one has sunk to new all time lows in the W-L column over the last 20 years

23. SkiTownUSA

I believe it all started on a Tuesday. I can't remember the year though.

24. Waldo

who gives a **** I just want to know it ends

25. SkiTownUSA

:nod: nuff said.

26. buffwings

That's all I'm waiting for brutha!!

27. DTalkins

DTalkins Guest

It all goes back to your LEGEND coach proclaiming that the NEBRASKA game will be cu's benchmark. cu will NEVER be the program NEBRASKA is.

28. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

Clyde Surrell and Marques Harris... The downfall of CU football starts in 2001. You change one thing in the chain of events that lead to disaster and usually the disaster doesn't happen. If you want to blame GB for trusting his guys a bit too much, then throw him in the mix too. It just took a while for it to show up in the records.

29. Tadploe

Tadploe Member Club Member

The 70 to 3 Big 12 Title loss to Texas. C.U. backed into that game, and had its fill of Barnett. The Buffs have not been the same since.

30. buffwings

so another assbeating by Tejass might get us another HC?

I cant wait, I'm done with this POS!