What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who gets screwed?

This year the answer was pretty simple: only lose once, and you're in.

If there had been more or fewer than 4 no or one loss teams, then all the other stuff would come into play: strength of schedule, conference championships, etc - all that matters.

But at the end of the day the first thing you look at (winning percentage) is not unsurprisingly the most important.

I really think that what the committee is saying is that it's ok to schedule cupcakes, but if you do, you have to be perfect (no losses) or lucky (one loss with 4 or fewer one/no loss teams).

I think if any other P5 team only had one loss, UW would have been out, and it would have been because of their scheduling.

the reasoning can't change every year though. It has to be objective and non-biased (numerical) toward the "blue bloods. Figure out which criteria matter and then weigh them accordingly. That way it's not a guessing game for everyone.

Did anyone else besides me just realize that Pitt ... yes, Pitt, beat two of the top five teams in the final CFP poll? :confused:

the reasoning can't change every year though. It has to be objective and non-biased (numerical) toward the "blue bloods. Figure out which criteria matter and then weigh them accordingly. That way it's not a guessing game for everyone.

They used to do this. It was called the BCS and at least a vocal minority hated that as well. They called for more of an "eyeball test" that they computers couldn't account for. Interestingly, the old BCS model would have picked these same 4 teams (switching OSU and Clemson). I am not sure what the answer is, but it seems like there isn't one that everyone will like.

gotta get to at least 6 to remove the leaving any conf champs out issue, make it automatic. then folks can debate about who is #6.

Didn't he acknowledge as much in the article?
Yes, I remember thinking the same thing, where are you coming from, then he admitted they don't have a playoff worthy team in the B12, he just wanted to know what to tell his conference. What are the rules?

Back