What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who should be our next head coach?

It was not the case the lasst time CU was looking for a coach
The current Texas coach rejected the job. EB rejected the job. Dorrell only took the job because he livedi n Boulder.
I can only speak for my self and I am a fan of the CU. If I were a hot assistant coach with no head coach experience and I look at the state of the CU program. Would look at other options first and CU will have to pay a lot of money to myself and my assistants to get me to take the job. An agreemet that it will take maybe 2 or 3 years to turn things around. Success will not come immediately.
Dude.

I think the bigger factor is this job may be perceived as a career killer. Which isn’t exactly attractive to an up and comer. There are lots of jobs out there that pay well where they can also win much easier
I think you underestimate egos for these coaches. Everybody thinks they have what it takes at this level. I think the harder pull now is the established elite coordinator from elite programs. They pay extremely well and it is a safer route to the bigger college jobs.

Even if you look logically at it you can look at Mel Tucker. Came here and recruited well for a year (realistically you'd have to do it longer than that), got a huge payday, and if he keeps it up at Michigan State will be in line for a premier college job or even more money from MSU.

It's pretty simple. RG demands HCKD hire the OC RG picks. That OC should be the guy RG has in mind as the next HC. So when HCKD finishes his tank job, you have your next HC here under contract, and dumping HCKD is an easy sell.

I don’t think the career killer reputation is really a thing - I could be wrong. But I do think a bigger problem for CU is that with the money available to big programs and other conferences, you now have top coordinators making over $2M a year. That’s enough to allow them to be way more picky about taking HC jobs, especially someplace like CU where we pay just ok money for a HC.

if the regents have a say in the matter, nothing will change. again, they'll be pointing out how much money gets "wasted" on football.

this board is getting to be total 'fantasy football'
What are you talking about? The last round of football coach contracts were overwhelmingly approved.

It's pretty simple. RG demands HCKD hire the OC RG picks. That OC should be the guy RG has in mind as the next HC. So when HCKD finishes his tank job, you have your next HC here under contract, and dumping HCKD is an easy sell.

HCKD will most likely submit his letter of resignation and go back to the NFL. Would you want to work in that work environment?

In big bangs scenario of Karl Dorrell resigning, he would technically be on the hook for the buyout numbers we've been discussing. Of course, that would never happen if RG truly wanted to move on, but Dorrell leaving on his own accord, without negotiation, would obligate him to pay CU $7.5m this year and $5m after 12/31.

Brilliant football mind
Stout previous W/L record
High moral character
Loves ro recruit
Great assistant pool
Media savvy/friendly
Will work for $3.5MM
Loves the views of the Flatirons and likes to hike Chautauqua, ride a bike, and tube Boulder Creek

Applications are available at SuperAwesomeJobsAtCU.org.......

Brilliant football mind
Stout previous W/L record
High moral character
Loves ro recruit
Great assistant pool
Media savvy/friendly
Will work for $3.5MM
Loves the views of the Flatirons and likes to hike Chautauqua, ride a bike, and tube Boulder Creek

Applications are available at SuperAwesomeJobsAtCU.org.......
Colorado Football Head Coaching Job Posting

Requirements:
- Loves to recruit
- Will work for $3.5m
- 3-5 years of coordinator or previous head coaching experience with a track record of success
- Great network of up and coming coaching contacts who are hungry to recruit

Nice to Haves:
- Brilliant Football Mind
- High moral character
- Media Savvy/Friendly
- Loves the Flatirons and likes to hike
- Owns a house in Boulder
- Willing to promise Athletic Director you won't leave after one or two seasons

Endless cycle of bad decisions. Back to ground zero. RG shouldn't fire KD. He shouldn't impose any coach on him. LIke a true partnership, they should hold a meeting to plan on how to improve the program. Maybe new coaches, more recruiting funds and etc.

Endless cycle of bad decisions. Back to ground zero. RG shouldn't fire KD. He shouldn't impose any coach on him. LIke a true partnership, they should hold a meeting to plan on how to improve the program. Maybe new coaches, more recruiting funds and etc.
Curious: what bad decisions are you referring to?

I think that it is obvious to some of us that we need a new head coach for the 2022 season.

I think that CU needs to be bold. In all seriousness, I think we should go after Kevin Kelley.

I don’t see CU being competitive in the next few years without some drastic changes, and Kelley (and I am really being serious here) would bring that.

He is known as the maverick coach who almost never punts, does an onside kick on every kickoff, and goes for it on fourth down most of the time. It is all stats based.

He is currently the head coach at a small school, Presbyterian College, an FCS school in South Carolina. I am pretty sure we can get him. We need to be bold. He is a bold choice. Even if he fails it would be a glorious failure.
It’s obvious Dorell isn’t the guy but since this is CU, I fully expect that he’ll be the coach next year and dig the hole even deeper.

God forbid anyone here admit they’ve made a terrible mistake and immediately take corrective actions.

KD should take a pay cut. RG should take that money, double it, then let KD find some better offensive assistants. Let him know he has two years to turn it around.

Back