1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who should win the title

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Unleash Hell, Jan 7, 2009.

?

Who should win

1. Oklahoma/Florida winner

47.2%
  2. USC

5.6%
  3. Texas

2.8%
  4. Utah

41.7%
  5. Other

2.8%
  1. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Not who you think will, but who SHOULD win in your opinion.

I still say Utah, I think they played a schedule worthy of a national champion IMO.

4 ranked teams. Probably 2 that will finsih in top 10. I declare the Utes the national champions!

2. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

3. buffwings

buffwings Club Member Club Member

Da UTES are da Champions!!

4. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

Why not Utah ??

wins over TCU, BYU, Oregon St & Bama-
    winning at Michigan early in the season when nobody knew they were gonna suck...

If people didn't vote for the Utes I want a good argument why you chose a different team.

5. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I am not impressed by who Utah played, I know that they played some good teams. The also played a whole bunch of crap teams and this makes their good wins even less impressive.

Michigan - Not Utahs fault but Michigan sucked this year, not an impressive win.
    UNLV- Don't look a this one to impress anyone
    Utah State- Which good team would not kill this team
    Air Force- Bowl team but not exactly what like the conference games played in the Big XII or SEC, had Utah State the week before so not exactly tough scheduling still didn't win by much.
    Weber State- enough said
    Oregon State - Yes Oregon State beat USC, they also almost beat Utah at Utah, they lost huge to Penn State and Oregon as well as to Stanford so this win is not the big hammer it is made out to be, especially coming of a virtual bye week (Weber)
    Wyoming- No need to say more
    Colorado State- Another bowl team, barely not a win to hang your hat on
    New Mexico- Barely beat a pathetic team,
    TCU- Quality win but again this is a team that got killed by OU, Utah barely wins coming of a weak schedule so far
    San Diego State- Tissue paper, Mullen HS might be better
    BYU- Most impressive win on the schedule, unfortunately again not a major conference quality team, they got beat soundly in their bowl.

Bow against Alabama- Had Alabama showed up would have been a better game, as it was Alabama was missing its offensive line, missing the best O-lineman in the country.
    LB Sylvester was the defensive MVP of the game, do you honestly think that if Smith was playing he would have spent the night in the Bama backfield, he would have been a non-factor.

I know that the emotional fight the BCS, love the underdog, argument is to support Utah for the AP championship. Unfortunately going undefeated against the schedule they played is not impressive. They had a great season but they are not the best team in the country unless you give championships to teams who have a great game against an unmotivated opponent missing its best player.

6. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

Utah has nearly as good a resume as Florida or Oklahoma, whichever wins the NC.

That being said, either of these teams would absolutely steamroll Utah, and the score would not be close. Particularly Florida.

7. DesertDawg526

DesertDawg526 Resident Dawg Club Member

I personally don't think there is a team in America right now that could beat USC.

Having said this, UTAH should be National Champion. They took care of business and didn't play cupcakes for OOC schedule.

8. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

OU and UF both have at least 4 wins more impressive than the list you posted above, and more than that more impressive than winning at Meatchicken... It doesn't matter if anybody knows a team sucks when you beat them, you're beating a sucky team either way... :cool:

Utah's schedule, to me, is strong enough that they deserve a right to play for the title. But so do Oklahoma, Florida and arguably Texass and USC. Since that isn't going to happen for all of them, and it's all going to come down to a vote, we have to guess at who is really the best. Looking at OU, they blew out a TCU team that nearly beat Utah and also have wins over Texas Tech, Okie State and Mizzou - all better teams than any of the other teams on Utah's regular season schedule. Florida can match Utah's marquee win over Bama, and also made it through an SEC schedule that is light years beyond the slate Utah played with only a loss to the eventual Cotton Bowl champion. In my mind, they simply have built a stronger case for the title than Utah.

But damn I would love to have seen a playoff this year... :sad1:

9. RalphieMalph

RalphieMalph Well-Known Member

I agree, and here's why: Florida needed a 4th quarter comeback to beat Alabama in the SEC Championship, whereas in the Sugar Bowl Utah scored more points in the 1st quarter than Alabama scored in the entire game.

Advantage: Gators.

10. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

F-Utah....TCU & BYU do NOT count as legitimate ranked team wins....BYU was a pure crap team that barely loses to UW & CSU & gets clobbered by Arizona in its bowl game. TCU comes away with a storied record having only played 2 decent teams and losing to them both (Boise St. doesn't count either).

Give Utah Texas' schedule and see what comes out of it....there are no bye weeks in the Big 12 & SEC, but the M-West provides about 5 guaranteed easy victories just by showing up....even against the worst teams in the Big 12 & SEC you're going to get abused & banged up pretty good...not so much in the M-West

11. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

Undefeated

12. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

All of you people picking Utah think CU should turn in their AP national championship from 1990, don't you??

13. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

This poll is premature.

14. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

Who gives a ****.

15. unbiasedtruth

unbiasedtruth Well-Known Member

are you dishing Oklahoma for scheduling the Washington Huskies... when the schedule was made for this home and home, Washington was actually a fairly decent team.....

16. unbiasedtruth

Ditto on what MntBuff and Junction say.... If you are going to say Utah is deserving, then why wasnt Boise State MNC in 2006. BSU finished undefeated that year and finished 5th in the polls.

My take, if Utah, as they have finished undefeated now twice in the past 4 years, wants to play or even be considered for a MNC, then leave the MWC conference, join the PAC10, Big XII, SEC, ACC, Big Ten and the Big East I say, or better yet expand the BCS to include the MWC conference....

and if I am not mistaken, didnt LSU finish as MNC champions last year when there were some BCS schools with only one loss????

17. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i don't really get all this "automatic enthusiasm" for Utah. sure, they went undefeated and beat Oregon State and a Bama team that had nothing to play for. they are a top 5 team i guess but i still think it's regionally driven.

normally on this board, we look down on the MWC to abuse the Rammies. now, it's a tough conference....

if it were Ball State who was undefeated with some nice OOC wins and a BCS W, i think we'd all be rallying behind the major conferences for #1.

18. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

I voted for USC because I think there SHOULD be playoffs, and if there were playoffs, I think USC WOULD win them.

19. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

You know this argument is retarded, right? Utah can't unilaterally leave the MWC and just join a BCS conference. Doesn't work that way. Second, if you think they would have a legit argument for an MNC if the BCS was expanded to include the MWC, why aren't they legit now? What would change if the MWC was included as "BCS" conference. It's just a name, the teams and strengths/weaknesses of the conference wouldn't change if you called it a BCS conference. If they could be called MNC if it was called a BCS conference, they should be called MNC now.

20. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

Transitive property does not apply.

Alabama was without arguably their best player for the game and they were coming off a disappointing loss in a game in which a win would have placed them squarely in the national championship game.

While its all speculative, I believe that Florida is a much better team than Utah and would easily beat them in a head to head game.

The current system is unfair to teams in minor conferences but the winner of the OU/UF game has earned the right to be national champions based on a one-loss season with a laundry list of impressive victories.

21. rynobuff

rynobuff Club Member Club Member

Utah would get crushed by USC, Texas, Oklahoma or Florida. Yeah yeah yeah, you can use all those arguments about bama and oregon state games and how Utah did better... but that does not matter. Do you guys really think Utah is a better team than Oklahoma?!?!?!?!

22. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

13 and 0

23. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

That pretty much sums it up as to why Utah isn't playing in the BCS title game tonight and won't be voted #1 by AP. They had a very impressive win over a Bama team that was undoubtedly disappointed to not be playing in the NC game after going undefeated thru the regular season. Meanwhile, Utah came in with a major chip on their shoulder and to their credit, they played like it. But going into this game the Utes simply hadn't played a tough enough schedule to be in the talk for #1, and this win, while impressive, isn't enough to vault them all the way to the top spot.

Yes, Utah is undefeated, but there's no way they would've gone thru an SEC or Big 12 schedule undefeated. We're comparing apples to oranges here, and that needs to be taken into account.

24. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

It stands to reason that when the contract between the Big East and the Orange Bowl/BCS runs out they could get the boot. Nothing is stoping the BCS/Fiesta from entering into a contract with MWC. They make a good argument with these wins. The effect of their entry to the BCS would probably be higher rankings on a regular basis.

UBT: The difference between BSU and Utah is that BSU beat an OU team that had a loss and was not in the mNC picture. Utah completely dismantled the team that #1 for 5 weeks, was undefeated all season, and whose only loss came to your opponent in said mNC game. Furthermore, since you have something at stake in this game tonight, your trying to squelch any noise that might take something away from your team if, if, if they win tonight. I think if OU was not in the mix this year you'd be more inclined to agree with us.

25. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

How do you figure on Florida? Utah made Alabama look like a paper tiger more than Florida did. I think it'd be a game.

Oregon State beat the Mighty Trojans. Who beat Oregon State?

It's this argument that makes the thought of playoffs so much fun. This cant be settled by voters or on a sports BBS.

I'd love to see that game.

26. unbiasedtruth

you couldnt be more worng. I'd say the same thing if it was Texas/USC/Florida/Penn State/TTech/Florida or any other one loss teams playing tonight against each, not just OU/UF. If these schools want to play for the "glass" then man up and do what it takes to join the BCS. Its the plan we have in place right now to determine a MNC, flawed at times, well ok most of the time, but its what we have.

Like Junc siad, Utah beat a very uninspired "Bama team.... if those 2 teams lined up 9 more times or 99 more time Utah and 'Bama, Bama would win all of the games.....

and what about Hawaii last year????

27. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

Kind of how CU played against Oregon after NU was choosen to go to the MNC game after we beat them for the North title. Bama lost the Champ game for its division, then did not give a crap about the bowl game. I had not thought of it that way before, but CU was way better than they played against OU. Funny thing is; had NU beat Miami and CU beat Oregon, we would have probably had a split title that year too.

28. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I think Colorado should win because I like them and because I like the colors.

29. CU827

CU827 Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. With the MNC on the line in game there is no way I would bet on Utah against U$C, Tejas, OU or Florida. They would get crushed by at least 20.

30. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Using your logic:

2007 - no undefeated teams = No National Champion
    2006 - only one undefeated team = National Champion = Boise State
    2005 - only one undefeated team = National Champion = Texas
    2004 - three undefeated teams = Split National Champions = USC, Auburn, UTah
    2003 - no undefeated teams = No National Champion
    2002 - only one undefeated team = National Champion = Ohio State
    2001 - only one undefeated team = National Champion = Miami
    2000 - only one undefeated team = National Champion = Oklahoma
    1999 - two undefeated teams = Split National Champions = Florida State & Marshall
    1998 - two undefeated teams = Split National Champions = Tennessee & Tulane
    1997 - two undefeated teams = Split National Champions = Nebraska & Michigan
    1996 - no undefeated teams = No National Champion
    1995 - one undefeated team, one one-tie team = National Champion = Nebraska (Tulane)
    1994 - two undefeated teams, one one-tie team = Split National Champions = Nebraska & Penn State (Texas A&M)
    1993 - one undefeated team = National Champion = Auburn (Auburn did not participate in post season competition due to NCAA sanctions)
    1992 - one undefeated team, one 3-tie team = National Champion = Alabama (Michigan)
    1991 - two undefeated teams = Split National Champions = Miami & Washington
    1990 - one one-tie team = National Champion = Georgia Tech
    1989 - no undefeated teams = no national champion
    1988 - one undefeated team = National Champion = Notre Dame
    1987 - one undefeated team, one one-tie team = National Champion = Miami (Syracuse)
    1986 - one undefeated team = National Champion = Penn State
    1985 - no undefeated teams = no national champions