What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who will be the OC in 2024?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Lewis looks to be moving on.

Shurmur is possible but I feel like they could have said something by now if he was going to continue in a playcaller capacity.

Byron Leftwich has been connected with the Shedeur/ Tom Brady relationship. Not sure if he even has interest in CFB.

Any other names anyone has seen floated?

Offense will look differently with Leftwich. More like a New England offense with RB's catching the ball out of the backfield I'm assuming.

While I don’t love the idea of anybody other than the qb coach being the oc, I would lean towards Grimes.

1. His offense, with a good qb, has been solid.

2. I think having the oc also in charge of our biggest position group concern could pay off.

3. This staff needs more grown ups.

I will be concerned if we keep Shurmer in place and then bring in another FOP to fill spots.

As someone who doesn't watch NFL that much, can anyone tell me should I be excited about Leftwich or not?

A quick wiki tells me he had one good year and then one awful year.

As someone who doesn't watch NFL that much, can anyone tell me should I be excited about Leftwich or not?

I don’t watch much NFL either but it gives me an uninspired vibe and an offense that won’t be very exciting to watch. Hope I’m wrong if he’s the choice.

1. He commands respect in the football community. Top 10 pick, long playing career, ring as a player, ring as a coordinator.

2. As a coordinator, he is Bruce Arian's disciple. Arians coached him in Pittsburgh and then hired him onto his coaching staff. During the OC SB year, Leftwich had gotten to the point where Arians no longer attended the offensive meetings.

3. The offense is a perfect fit for what Coach Prime seems to want. It's downfield pass plays with quick RB who can catch. Arians described it as "no risk it no biscuit" and I'd compare it to the NBA analytics style of play where you either shoot a 3 or a layup. TE/WR routes are 10+ yards with a ton of vertical pressure but then you have the bailout of hitting that RB in a dump off. It's tailor made for Shedeur's and Dylan's skill sets and it's a great offense for WRs & TEs. But it also demands excellent OL play to give a pocket and time for plays to develop.

His offense from 18-21 were solid. Using EPA/Play, his offenses were 12th in 2018, 19th in 2019, 5th in 2020, 1st in 2021, and back to 20th in 2021. Obviously, the last 3 years were with Brady. Part of it was Arians being gone, part of it was his OL was terrible because of retirement and injuries. Arians said it was Leftwich that did majority of the gameplan and playcalling, so I think his last year was terrible because he had a terrible OL.

However, he's a bit of a dinosaur as he still believes the myth that you need to run the ball for PA to be effective, which lead to his playcalls being terrible according to Bucs fans' after doing a quick googling.

Last edited:
1. He commands respect in the football community. Top 10 pick, long playing career, ring as a player, ring as a coordinator.

2. As a coordinator, he is Bruce Arian's disciple. Arians coached him in Pittsburgh and then hired him onto his coaching staff. During the OC SB year, Leftwich had gotten to the point where Arians no longer attended the offensive meetings.

3. The offense is a perfect fit for what Coach Prime seems to want. It's downfield pass plays with quick RB who can catch. Arians described it as "no risk it no biscuit" and I'd compare it to the NBA analytics style of play where you either shoot a 3 or a layup. TE/WR routes are 10+ yards with a ton of vertical pressure but then you have the bailout of hitting that RB in a dump off. It's tailor made for Shedeur's and Dylan's skill sets and it's a great offense for WRs & TEs. But it also demands excellent OL play to give a pocket and time for plays to develop.
So 2026 then….

As a VT fan, I wanted Leftwich as HC two years ago when we fired Fuente. I'm no football expert, but I'll take it as a huge plus if HCDS agrees he should be OC

He's 43. I think he'd be great in living rooms of quarterbacks in particular. Hasn't been that long since he retired. Another thing that always impressed me with him was the dynamic he had with Brady while Tom was in Tampa. I don't remember Tom getting into the kind of shouting matches he did with some of the coordinators he had in NE, and I always chalked that up to Leftwich. He's always seemed like a guy who can connect with people with ease.

This is a great move if it happens.

Adam said he'll only put an OC hot board together if he starts hearing that Leftwich isn't the guy.

This feels like its been in the works for a bit.
They need to **** or get off the can then. We have less than 2 weeks until the early signing period, and we still need to have an actual recruiting class. We've shown what you get with only transfer portal.

They need to **** or get off the can then. We have less than 2 weeks until the early signing period, and we still need to have an actual recruiting class. We've shown what you get with only transfer portal.
The portal is full of skill players unhappy being behind the starters. Its the Lines and the where we need to find some OL DL depth. I dont know if that will be JC, Portal, or recruiting

Last edited:
Season 1 GIF by Paramount+

We gonna get a good OC. I just care about them hiring a good OL coach.
It's why I've been in the Jeff Grimes camp. Quick bit of Buffs history for anyone who hasn't been following since the 2000s - Grimes was the OL Coach that got CU to a bowl game under HC Hawkins despite having to start 3 or 4 freshman OLs, navigated injuries to his group, and had an undersized Cody Hawkins at QB who couldn't step up in the pocket due to his height & inability to see over the line. Grimes was also our best TX recruiter by a long shot during that time. Without looking it up, I believe he's done Auburn, LSU, BYU and Baylor since then.

Last edited:
It's why I've been in the Jeff Grimes camp. Quick bit of Buffs history for anyone who hasn't been following since the 2000s - Grimes was the OL Coach that got CU to a bowl game under HC Hawkins despite having to start 3 or for freshman OLs, navigated injuries to his group, and had an undersized Cody Hawkins at QB who couldn't step up in the pocket due to his height & inability to see over the line. Grimes was also our best TX recruiter by a long shot during that time. Without looking it up, I believe he's done Auburn, LSU, BYU and Baylor since then.
As long as he meets the only requirement of the Idot Contingent of AllBuffs, he has CU roots of some kind, I'm good with it. The rest is just frosting.

Back