What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why are you a Buff?

Buff fanatic

I post this every year and absolutely love to read the responses. Particularly for those who didn't go to CU, why are you a hardcore enough Buff to be on this board with a hundred other teams out there? Lots of newbies on the board, should be fun.

Went to DU, now at Anschutz (so not even Boulder campus). I remember listening to Zimmer on KOA every weekend with my Dad when I was younger and going to a satellite campus gives me an excuse to have the college football experience I missed out on with DU. Bought season tix last year and this year, just in time for The Rise!

I was a student at Boulder during the great seasons of the early 90s. I didn't miss a game as a student and made several road trips around the Big 8 to follow the Buffs.
I didn't have season tickets until the day (literally) that Hawkins was fired and have been dragging my son to games for the past several seasons. Lots of tears shed at those games. I didn't grow up in a house that had strong college ties and I was/am determined to change that with my own kids. I can't be prouder and happier as a father, and as a fan, to see my kids truly root for the Buffs.

Hmm for me, being born in Colorado was the main reason. Growing up in Texas, that pissed a lot of people off lol. I'm like, why fight it. I got plenty of flack in school for rocking CU gear, traitor was a word I heard quite a bit. Over time, that's where a lot of my attitude came from I'm guessing.

I've lived in Boulder since the age of 5 and grew up always wanting to go to CU and be in the student section. I never had any thoughts about going anywhere else. I think growing up in the town and going on campus for various reasons throughout my childhood was enough to convince me that it wasn't really worth exploring other options.

I was born a Buff - my Dad grew up in Boulder and went to CU for Med School. I have been going to the games since I was extremely little and got to enjoy Miracle in Michigan (on TV), Salaam's 2000 yard achievement vs ISU, 62-36, and countless other Buff victories throughout the decades. My parents still have the same season tickets that they've had since forever. When deciding where to go to school, CU was the only in state school I considered. Got to enjoy 2005 as a student (until UT happened) and then struggled through Hawk love for the rest of my student life. Absolutely loving The Rise and can't wait to see what this program will achieve this year and all of the people coming back to the Buffs. It has been hard to justify the devotion to this program there for the better part of a decade.

Moved to Denver in '76. Had grown up in Texas and my parents kind of raised me on the history of the SWC. My dad played HS with Doak Walker and Bobby Layne and was a friend of Doak's at SMU. So when I moved here I just gravitated toward the Buffs and started following them. I ended up going to CU Denver and my three kids graduated from CU Boulder, so we are a Buff family, so to speak.

Moved to Brighton CO at the age of 6 in 1992. Watched the Hesslers play high school ball. First Buffs game I attended was against Nebraska. I instantly loved the Buffs and hated the Huskers.

I was offered a chance to walk on by Vince Okruh, but played at D2 Fort Hays State instead. Never graduated.

I live in Texas now. I'll always be a Buff fan no matter what. Thank god sling exists so I don't miss anymore games!

My Grandfather flunked out of Nebraska, moved to Colorado and went to pharmacy school at CU.
My dad played for the Buffs in the late 60's/early 70's.
I've been going to games with my family since I was very young.
From 1988-2002 I missed a total of two home games. Went to every CU/NU game in Lincoln from '88-06, and went to a couple bowl games.
I was there for the glory years and I'm hoping some of the younger generation can witness what I was fortunate to have seen.

My grandfather owned a business in Boulder and had season tickets. He started taking me to the games when I was six years old (Mid 70's). I wouldn't go to every game with him but went to a few every year until I was a senior in high school. I was all set to attend Notre Dame when CU swooped in and upped their offer. That made my decision easy. I loved the Buffs and wouldn't have to pay. After undergrad I worked for CU for five years and that job also allowed me to attend graduate school at CU. Later I attended law school at CU as well. So, I guess you can say I have been a Buff since I was six years old.

I grew up watching the Buffaloes with my dad and one of my most vivid memories was Michigan. I was 9 and have never been more excited in my life. I was hooked, I spent all my saturdays watching football from there on out, even by myself. I loved CU and the school and boulder. I always wanted more than anything to go to school there. I spent my 4 years and I feel even more in love with boulder and the campus. Just can't get enough of CU. go buffs!

3rd Generation Buff. My grandmother was recruited to CU by none other than Byron "Whizzer" White. My father grew up listening to the Buffs on the radio and received his bachelor and masters degrees in Boulder. I began attending games with him when I was a kid and have my undergrad degree from Boulder and am currently finishing up my MBA at CU Denver.

I grew up in New Mexico and graduated from the University of New Mexico. UNM was (and still is) a basketball school - we were all football starved. As an avid skier, though, I spent a lot of my spring breaks in the Rockies and fell in love with Colorado. I moved my business from Albuquerque to Ft. Collins and subsequently met my wife (who graduated from CU in the glory years - 1991). She went to both Orange Bowls and knew many of the football players. Her parents are also alums - graduating in the 60's. We've had season tickets for years and the 4 of us sit together. While I've weathered the rough years over the last decade or so, I've always had a positive outlook on CU football - perhaps because I know just how bad football can be from my UNM days. I'm a die hard fan, and so is my son.

moved to CO 20 years ago.....im a wisco graduate who still loves the badgers but have 2 sons who both graduated from cu....bought season tix 11 years ago because i love college football and tailgating..... started as a luke warm buffs fan and now am such a die hard that if buffs met wisco in the rose bowl id be decked out in all my buffs gear!

Grew up in Texas, my mom worked for a Dr. that played for the Buffs in the early sixties. His office was covered in pictures of Boulder and the campus, I could not get enough, loved looking at his photo albums.
Went to games at UT, aTm and UH on a regular basis since about 4 with various family members but was always looking for my own path. CU was it. As soon as I graduated came straight to Boulder in 86'-90'. How could I root for anyone else. I love My Buffs.Had season tickets off and on since 92'. Went to many road games Big 8 and Big 12 and a few Bowl games. Was at both National Championship games. Hard to believe it has been so long as I type this? I have now raised children trying to explain why I'm a Buff Fan. They were not around for the Glory Years. The Rise has been great and I am trying to still get my head around all this.

Last edited:
3rd Generation Buff. My grandmother was recruited to CU by none other than Byron "Whizzer" White. My father grew up listening to the Buffs on the radio and received his bachelor and masters degrees in Boulder. I began attending games with him when I was a kid and have my undergrad degree from Boulder and am currently finishing up my MBA at CU Denver.
So that's why they called him Whizzer. Fun fact.

Born in Boulder. Back in the day they didn't lock the stadium and there was always pickup football games on the astro turf on weekends when there were no CU games and CU was so bad during the Fairbanks era and early into the McCartney run as a kid they would let you into the stadium after the first quarter without a ticket.

Born and raised in CO by out of state parents. Dad bought season tickets before I can remember and I attended every game with him that didn't interfere with my football playing schedule. My earliest in-game memories were squib kicks and missed FGs against nebraska, Ben Kelly taking a fumble return 100 yards for a TD, Donald Strickland's stop on Sproles on 4th and 1, 62-36, Klatt vs BVP, Klatt to Ron Monteilh, JJ Billingsley goal line stand and the rest matriculated in 06 as a student. There will never be another program.

transplant. nothing dramatic or shocking here.

I love college sports, and when I moved here I was going to pick a Colorado school to follow.

Daughter started out at CU, and I decided when coming here that the Buffs would be my local team. Part of it was convenience (Folsom was the closest CFB field to my home), part was that CU was the Colorado P5 school, part of it was CU's tradition. My son is a CSU grad, so I had justification to pick the Rams as my "new home team".

I now follow CU basketball closer than VT or Wisconsin, and with football the gap is closing.

Mom was an administrator on campus. Went to Bruce Lee movies at the UMC in Junior high. Enjoyed the Greek scene throughout high school. Matriculated in 89. Nuff said.
And you continue to matriculate to this very day!

Born in Boulder, to a CU student and his wife. First CU game was with my dad, as he delivered ice to the Fieldhouse concession stands. Grew up listening to CU games. Went to games when first Grandelius, then Eddie Crowder had them rolling and "knothole" tix for kids were 50 cents. We always lined the stairs in the East stands where the players filed up to Carlson Gym locker room after the games, to beg for chin straps (got Hale Irwin's). Missed only one home game between 1965 and 1994. Then missed only the occasional home game since then, due to my kids' sports. They're grown now, no more missed games! Indeed, two of my three are CU grads and we all go together to home games..

I post this every year and absolutely love to read the responses. Particularly for those who didn't go to CU, why are you a hardcore enough Buff to be on this board with a hundred other teams out there? Lots of newbies on the board, should be fun.
Born and raised in NJ. My parents took the family on a rafting trip in Colorado in 1983. It was the first time any of us saw the Rocky Mountains. We all got that "Rocky Mountain High". One year later my sister started at CU (1984) and the year after that I started (1985). Was their to see first hand the Buffs transition from a bad team to a championship team under Mac1. "The Rise" under Mac2 is very similar to the late 80's and I am stoked to see where we go from here. Shoulder-To-Shoulder!!!

Family moved around a lot as a kid, 6 states before I was in 5th grade, we moved to Denver in 1985. My mom is an OU grad and she was the only one that ever paid attention to a college team so I was a sooner fan growing up. After finally making a home here I remember watching the buffs on channel 4 growing up, I believe Les Shapiro and then Mark Macintyre called the games. After graduating highschool I made a bad decision in attending OU my freshman year but then transferred back her to CU more because of being homesick. Best friend and now wife both attended CU and after attending one game I was hooked. My household, 2 boys and my wife, is a buff house. We bleed black and gold and watch the games together every week. Was able to buy season tickets one year but haven't been able to buy them again because of kids sports conflicting but usually make at least one or two games each year. Both boys want to attend CU when they graduate...the oldest is really hoping that CU upgrades the lacrosse team to D1 instead of a club sport..he would love to play for them and I'd love it too!!! As with most of you I've been a fan through good and bad times, won tickets on 850 koa when we played texas for the Big 12 championship and my wife and I traveled down to Dallas to watch the game all expenses paid...what an experience that was. Was at the nebraska game in 2001, went on the field, carried the goal post, picked some grass off the field and still have it in a bag along with my ticket and a photo of the scoreboard showing 62-36, epic moment for me to experience that game. I'll be a die hard fan till I die...hoping both my kids continue to the tradition for many years and pass it along to their kids. GO BUFFS!!!

I probably have the strangest story of them all.

When I was 10 years old, I went on a cruise and met a girl from Marrero, La. whom I became good friends with. Shortly after that trip, I happened to be watching ESPN one Saturday evening, and saw that the QB for Colorado was also from Marrero. He happened to be pretty good, and I became a huge fan. Although I didn't graduate from CU, I am active in the Alumi group in Washington DC, and have convinced my 11yr. old that CU is the only place she can go to school...

Go Buffs!

Back