What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WHY????????? (Derek McCartney ACL)

If you google 6th year of college eligibility, there are dozens of players who have received them, always for medical reason.

Illinois point guard Tracy Abrams will play his 6th year this season.

Would be surprised if Derek doesn't move on, though.

Again, read Buffnik's post carefully. It's factual and accurate.

Shaver played decent. Better than Gilbert. Falo will help. Still a loss. Liked DM's leadership. Challenge for Leavitt.

I was wondering: He was held out last week, due to some sort of physical issue I presume. Did his ACL going out have anything to do with that either directly or indirectly?

I was wondering: He was held out last week, due to some sort of physical issue I presume. Did his ACL going out have anything to do with that either directly or indirectly?

Believe holding him out against ISU was ankle related. Not sure when the ACL injury occurred but I know when he ran back the fumble, the guy that tackled him hit his legs low and twisted. Not sure if the injury happened there, but that probably didn't help.

You can apply for a hardship waiver (6th year) if you have missed two or more seasons due to injury. You can also get a hardship due to injury if you have competed in less than 30% of the season and you still have a redshirt year available.

@Buffnik is almost always correct, but I'm not so sure in this case. Case Keenum was granted a sixth year of eligibility after being injured his senior year in 2010. There was no previous injury year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_Keenum

2006 - Normal redshirt year. No injury.
2007 - Played in all 13 games.
2008 - Started the full season and passed for over 5,000 yards.
2009 - Another full season of playing. Over 5,800 yards of total offense.
2010 - Tore ACL in the 3rd game.
2011 - Granted 6th year of eligibility. Led Houston to a bowl game.

Last edited:
@Buffnik is almost always correct, but I'm not so sure in this case. Case Keenum was granted a sixth year of eligibility after being injured his senior year in 2010. There was no previous injury year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_Keenum

2006 - Normal redshirt year. No injury.
2007 - Played in all 13 games.
2008 - Started the full season and passed for over 5,000 yards.
2009 - Another full season of playing. Over 5,800 yards of total offense.
2010 - Tore ACL in the 3rd game.
2011 - Granted 6th year of eligibility. Led Houston to a bowl game.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=6022570

The NCAA grants a sixth year of eligibility only if a player has missed two seasons because of an injury or circumstances beyond the player's control. Keenum was granted a medical redshirt in 2006 because of a separated shoulder sustained late in his senior season in high school.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=6022570

The NCAA grants a sixth year of eligibility only if a player has missed two seasons because of an injury or circumstances beyond the player's control. Keenum was granted a medical redshirt in 2006 because of a separated shoulder sustained late in his senior season in high school.
So they need to create find a documented visit to a doctor due to injury sometime after his high school senior season and before the 3rd game of his true freshman year. Then say that injury is why he redshirted. Should be easy enough.

McCartney is a Junior so he has next year. I wonder if he can take Med courses while at the Boulder Campus...He has greyshirted, redshirted and now looking at a medical redshirt year. The kid will be 30 by the time he is done playing.

Back