1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why the punt? Is D Scott hurt?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by ralphieV, Nov 16, 2008.

1. ralphieV

ralphieV New Member

Can someone explain our last punt to me. I realize it was 4th and 21 from deep in our own territory, but with 3 minutes left, 2 to's left, and down 13, our ONLY chance was to score on that drive, then hope to get an onside kick. Throw a pass 25 yards downfield, ya never know what may happen, maybe a great catch, maybe a PI call. But we conceded the game when we punted, made no sense to me.

On another note, anyone know why D Scott didn't play? I was at the game, perhaps they commented on TV why he never got in the game.

2. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Scott has a sprained ankle.

3. ralphieV

ralphieV New Member

I know he's been battling the ankle sprain for a few weeks now, but did he re-injure it to where he was unable to play?

4. Sexton Hardcastle

Re-injured in last weeks practices according to Kyle Ringo.

http://buffzone.com/news/2008/nov/16/football-attendance-drops-slightly-this-season/?partner=RSS

5. 2HellNback

2HellNback Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Didn't want to lose the spread.

D Scott, high ankle sprain from what I hear (which is the worst). Sumler did his thing, carried his own, but my problem is that he's not a deep threat or game changer. Moyd at least deserved a couple of carries, he's at least a fast athletic dude who could have made something happen.

Chalk up the '08 season as the Injury Cursed Season. Hawk needs to visit an voodoo doctor to take the hex off of this team.

6. ralphieV

ralphieV New Member

I would sure hope the spread has nothing to do with it:). Punting was the best way to protect against the spread.

Thanks for the d Scott info, and I thought sumler played a really solid all around game. But the truth is, without Scott or Smith on the field we have no other threat as a game changer. I was really struck at the game at the lack of open receivers.

jrod212 likes this.
  7. 2HellNback

No and it's hard to have a 4th quarter comeback (no matter who your quarterback is) when you have no deep threats on the field.

8. ralphieV

ralphieV New Member

and yes this season has been cursed, not only by injuries. Goodman bounced a kick off the uprights for the 4th time this season. I would bet that from the distances he was kicking, he couldnt hit the uprights 4 times out of 100 in practice even if he was trying.

9. 2HellNback

I saw a replay later tonight, the ball was dead straight and at the last minute hooked and hit the upright on his first attempt. I feel bad for the kid, he's obviously got a serious mental block since it's not like he's missing like Jameson Davis, yikes...

10. Skidmark

Skidmark Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

11. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

Punting last night was one of, if not the worst coaching decision Hawk has made since being at CU. That was totally a move to make the score closer in exchange for any chance of winning.

12. FChairbanks

FChairbanks muthaka slayer Club Member

i didn't get the clock management in that series either...why delay to take the playclock down to 3 seconds on first down, then call time out on the next play...

:scratches head: :confused:

13. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

Hard to run a 2 touchdown, 4 minute offense when your QB can't throw more than 30 yards down the field (realistically 15 yards). Not hating, just a fact.

14. Sexton Hardcastle

true... But not having any time to let your receivers run their routes isn't all Hawkins fault. The OL can't hold a block for longer than two seconds. Hawkins was running for his life half the time out there. I don't see how you can lay this loss on him.

buffs04 likes this.
  15. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

While people are explaining this punt... what about the 50 yard field goal in the first or second quarter? I hink it's a pretty safe bet that the chances of converting a 4th and 18 and having a good field goal kicker convert a 50 yard field goal are about the same. Sending in Goodman to try a 50 yard field goal was as bad as sending in the punt team.