1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wide receivers

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Duff Man, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

If Simmons gets in and Ussery is ready to play as a freshman, this can be a good group with the best size we have had in a long time. You add those two to Simas, McKnight, and maybe Smith, that is a pretty good group. We might be slow out of the gate though.

2. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

If we run the ball like we need to, that really shouldnt be a problem. Smith is our deep guy and we have a ton of possession guys. Anybody that has seen Espinoza play, can he play or is he a practice star?

3. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

Since Espinoza's played only in practice, I think it's impossible to know until he's in an actual game.

4. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

I agree. I think Maxwell and Espinoza could be solid contributors. They would just get the job done.

5. jjbuffs13

jjbuffs13 Well-Known Member

Espy may be the most underrated reciever we have. For a walk on, he led the team in the spring with catches, yards and touchdowns. I think he will be the first look on the short-intermediate routes. He also has some wheels, he had one great play along the sidelines during the Spring Game where he had beet the corner (didnt see who it was) by about a step and Cody threw it on a rope right into his hands.

6. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Same can be told about Simmons and Simas then. Simas does have great practice hands that I am anxious to see in games!:smile2:

7. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

What happened to the French Guy? Did we officially not offer him?

8. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Hopefully simmons gets in and smith, simas, simmons and mcknight make a good 4 man rotation.

Espinosa has suprised and i've heard some good stuff on maxwell. We need our bigs to make plays.

9. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

I think we have officially not offered him yet.... I'd say the staff has probably cooled if they haven't moved yet. They may also be waiting to get a better read on Simmon's grades, which should be known in a few weeks I'd guess.

On another note, if Simmons gets to Boulder, it will be in August and I think we should not expect too much too early there. I think Ussery will be the guy who plays a lot early as he's smart (Stanford smart), he's been around pro sports his whole life (thus he won't be intimidated or wide-eyed), he's got size (we need) and he will be here on June 1. This last point is the most critical one.

10. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

I think they're holding off moreso to wait for what Clemons is going to do. If he decides to transfer to CU we won't offer a scholly, if he doesn't I'm sure we do

11. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

I don't like that strategy at all. They're essentially in different recruiting classes since Clemons has to sit a year. He's either good enough or he isn't, make up your mind. If he's good enough, give him a scholly now - there's no such thing as having too many playmakers at WR. Plus what message does that send "we kind of like you, but we're not sure yet".

All the above makes me believe either they have already decided not to offer, or they are unsure about him academically.

12. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

Ditto!

13. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Espinoza caught a wide-open pass for a TD, and caught a punt in heavy traffic and tried to run with it. Although he didn't get far, it showed some guts.

I don't know, a WRs playbook isn't all that complicated, although he needs to learn the terminology. For the most part, it's run down the field and catch the ball.

14. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

I couldnt' disagree more. Learning the plays isn't the issue I'm worried about.

There are many reads expected of the WR which require him to adjust his pattern either because of the way the DB plays him, the defense they are in, or making adjustments for blitzes etc. How many times have you seen Cody throw the ball 10 feet from the guy and then start yelling at him? I have a hunch he's not yelling at him for being too good or too fast....

I don't care how athletic he is, if he goes deep and Cody throws it short....

15. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

I'm not buying that. It's not like we have an abundance of scholarship WRs at the moment. I'm guessing he was either Helfrich's guy or we don't want him.

16. zbuff

I don't disagree they also have reads, but even with that their playbook is easier than a lot of other positions, and therefore their learning curve is shorter. They do need time to get on the same "physical memory" page as the QB, though.

17. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

When I think of smashmouth football I think of WRs that can hold a block to the outside. Our WRs at this point aren't big enough to contain the outside. We need some bigger WRs that can go over the middle and hold blocks. Now.

18. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

See: the incoming class :smile2:

19. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Yeah, I know, but the lack of muscle at the WR position has always been a concern for me. I wonder how easy it would be to teach a WR to block. I would assume a lot of WRs don't know how to block very well since most HS are utilizing a spread O nowadays.

I know secondaries in the Big 12 have gotten smaller due to the spread, but they've also gotten faster. A few big, tall guys at WR would make our dream of a strong run team entirely possible. Few Big 12 teams have size in their secondary.

20. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

yes. hence the three 6'3" 200+ guys we have coming in to play WR.

21. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

je ne sais pas

22. zbuff

Yeah, don't care quite enough to buy in, but this Scout title looks good for Simmons!