1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will CU leaving hurt Texass 10 sos?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by rodrigo, Jul 14, 2010.

1. rodrigo

rodrigo Well-Known Member

Here's an interesting thought: given that CU annually plays one of the toughest - if not the toughest - OOC sked among the Big 12, AND (here I quote Stewart Mandel) CU leaving for the PAC 10 "eliminates one of the few teams that could strengthen the league's BCS-to-cupcake ratio in nonconference games," maybe we've found a new way to f*** the 'Horns...

2. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I'm sure Kansas State will pick up the slack and schedule a school with an actual football team.

3. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Anyway you can photoshop all the Big Tex conference teams with Cupcakes on their logos?

4. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Now that you mention it, i'm not sure how strenght of schedule works. If we play a challenging OOC schedule, but still go 3-9, can we actually affect someone's SOS positively? The tough part isn't scheduling--anybody can do that--it's actually showing up.

This feels desperate? Is this desperate? Can we please just have a good ****ing team again?

5. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Yea right! :lol:

6. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

Sorry dply I couldn't resist:

kansas cupcake..jpg

dply likes this.
  7. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

I knew I could count on you. Rep delievered.

8. rodrigo

Doesn't necessarily matter how CU finishes. If Cal and UGA have 7, 8, 9 win seasons it'll help the Big XII SOS.

9. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Take that Texas! We made 'em our bitches didn't we? Who's laughing now, mother****ers?

10. Crash Davis

Crash Davis MA....THE MEATLOAF!!! Club Member

Except SOS doesn't even factor into the BCS rankings anymore. Well, indirectly maybe through some of the computer rankings, but each ranking system is different and no one really knows what the net effect is. Billingsley only takes into account a team's opponents, and not opponents' opponents, so the years we don't play Texas it wouldn't even matter. Sagarin doesn't even divulge his formula.

The only reason they announce the team/conference SOS's is for smack talk purposes, AFAICT.

I think Walrus is right, you're grasping at straws.

11. rodrigo

Really? Tell that to Utah and Boise State...

12. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Their problem with not getting ranked higher in past years was due to their own schedule, not the schedules of their respective conference members.

13. rodrigo

Actually, in the grander scheme of things you're probably right. The only way it might come into play would be if there was no clear-cut pairing in the title game and you had a debate, say between a one-loss Texas (that in lieu of a win or two over Nebraska or CU rolled all over another OOC cupcake) and an undefeated Boise to play opposite a hypothetical undefeated Ohio State.

Instead of grasping at straws, however, I prefer to think of just another reason to feel good about leaving for the PAC 10.

14. Buffsoldier

Buffsoldier Well-Known Member

Does our leaving hurt their SOS? Questionable, even doubtful.

Does it hurt their BCS standings? As of next year, oh yeah, it sure as hell does, unless they can get some more teams to join.

From the BCS's website:

Conference membership | Adjustment
    12 or more member | no adjustment
    10 or 11 members | points increased by 12.5 percent
    9 or fewer members | points increased by 25 percent
    * The computations will be made according to the conference's membership on Dec. 4, 2011.